>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Matte Painting

Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #16
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Send a message via MSN to tjerkotten
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamos View Post
you must look out on bluring. Some parts are more blur than other this same with grain.
Its too blurred on the left side. I made a mistake there. I left a layer on top of another. I didn't noticed it untill you said it. Next update it will be deleted. Thank you very much..
tjerkotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #17
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeine View Post
Wow. I love you work. And I love how you show your WIP. It's really awesome you're taking the time to make all those instructional images, and I must say ...........!
Great notion there. I will take a look at it. It increased depth, but indeed takes attention as well. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
cserbuj

Good work. Good integration of elements.
Very "natural"....
cserbuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #19
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeine View Post
Wow. I love you work. And I love how you show your WIP. It's really awesome you're taking the time to make all those instructional images, and I must say I learned a lot from it. Myself, I'm not really into matte painting, but looking at your work really gives me incentive and inspiration, and also some guidance as well

And about your work - like I said, it looks really good. All the details you added fit very well inside the scene. One thing I wanted to note is that orange leaf on the right side. While giving the scene depth, it takes out the focus from the scene. I suggest you make it blend more with the rest of the wood.

Anyway, great job, Tjerk!
Woow I like the concept Colours are looking good. Very detailed work
Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #20
BADDOOM

Nice Style. watch at the scene and paint some sharper details left side.i think the orange leaf in front is out of scene. may you can recolor it or remove the leaf is the better way. Some parts are to blurry. I´m looking forward to the next steps.

Great Job.
BADDOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
WhiteGuardian

Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: 01-04-2010 08:07 AM  	 Edit  Remove   	 chris_solo 	won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. 
Total Awards: 1
Wow, this is exotic scene, using tropical or maybe Asian culture. So far so good dude.
To make it dramatic, mistic and misterious, try to add purple or red fog to the scene.
Hope this can help you.
WhiteGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
Nice picture composition and good integration, I think the render can be improved further ... for now the colors are too saturated, I'm not a big fan of fuzzy too ... but it's a choice. For me, work a little more mysterious ... it's my feeling.
> Nice work
Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #23
CarlosNCT
Really good boy

Great job man!
CarlosNCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #24
AGONIST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work  
Total Awards: 2
Wow~!

Awesome prograss! Sorry my bed english

Good luck
AGONIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Hi Everybody,

here is another update. I tried to do something different here. I listened to the comments and i changed some elements so that the picture plays with the eyes a little more. Also i added some more mysterious parts to the picture.I also deleted the orange leaf and changed it with another plant to create the depth. I like it much better know. The eyes goes all around the picture. I will show a progress sheet soon. I hope you like this version better than the other.

Just for fun i will show the starting picture and the one i have now. Its always fun to see what happened in the meantime..

Here is the original picture

Here is the last update ( There are some blue toning faults in the upperright , i will fix that )

Last edited by tjerkotten; 12-04-2010 at 10:13 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #26
huteford

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 1
cool, man ,great work!
Can it show more depth of field?
right now is so bright~~
and sunny...
huteford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #27
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by huteford View Post
cool, man ,great work!
Can it show more depth of field?
right now is so bright~~
and sunny...
Hi, thanks for comment. More depths of field, i can try that. I used the plant in front to create a depths of field and the picture is a bit bright, but it differs on displays and personally i kinda like it. Ill listen to every comments to and ill take it in concideration. Thanks for your opinion!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #28
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Nice work. I think it looks really good so far. I don't really understand the glowing trees, but I think it would be a better effect if you had some heat distortion there and maybe some light smoke. Also, I don't much care for the light in the back of the image. That big opening makes it seem like you're walking away from something, instead of toward it (even though I see something big in the distance...it's very faint). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it takes a lot of the mystery away from the photo. It seems more like an image you'd take during a tour on vacation than an image that's supposed to entertain. If I were you, I'd focus on making that opening at the end of the walk a bit more looming. It doesn't have to be dark, but I'd certainly "bring it forward" so that we feel more like we're walking toward something we don't understand.

The blending and such looks really nice, though. Good technical work.
Old 13-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #29
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
[QUOTE=inveni0;783513]Nice work. I think it looks really good so far. I don't really understand the glowing trees, but I think it would be a better effect if you had some heat distortion there and maybe some light smoke. Also, I don't much care for the light in the back of the image. That big opening makes it seem like you're walking away from something, instead of toward it (even though I see something big in the distance...it's very......QUOTE]

Thank you very much. I actually like the light, but to add something as heat distortion is an amazing idea. I have to take a look if i can pull that off. Ill take it in consideration and try to get it better. Thank you
Old 13-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #30
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
you're on the right path, keep the good work
The left is really good but I'm still skeptical about the saturation of colors ...