>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 17-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
DWIII - 3D - lampshadehead - fire/veg invoker?

Hi everyone! Everyone is doing awesome so far, off to a quick and powerful start.

I have 2 concepts that I'm thinking about and having a hard time deciding which might make a better model.

The first, just called bombman for now. He has the power to manipulate fire, but not to create it. He wears the 3dtotal artifact around his neck. Because he cannot create the fire, one power technique that he employees it to carry undetonated bombs or missles that are scavenged from the battlefield, then explode them by slamming them into the ground, and shaping the explosion towards the enemy.

The other concept is a large creature, probably 12 feet tall. It carries a large ax and the trunk of a massive tree. He uses the enchanted tree trunk artifact to give him his great strength and smash his enemies, deforming the landscape around him with each strike.

What do you think? Does one concept fit the contest better than the other? Any suggestions?
Attached Images

lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
HollowReaper
3d Addict

Send a message via MSN to HollowReaper
I think the idea of the 1st concept is much cooler IMO. Having a guy slam a bomb on the ground to then control the force of that explosion to it's enemy would be pure ownage . I like the proportions of the character to the bomb, but technically speaking I'm not sure if a guy his size would be able to lift a bomb that big high in the sky then slam it in the ground .

http://hollowreaper.blogspot.com/
HollowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
True, i like the way it looks, but you're probably right. Maybe he has super strength for another reason, like radiation, or being.. half.. unicorn.. then he found the fire artifact to round out his powers?
Old 17-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
you can always cry artistic license with that, after all its a fantasy magical world, so hey, who says he can't lift that much weight
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Jido
Skill Reaper

The fire concept is really cool... err... hot. Especially if he has diffenrent sized containers that are filled with unstable gunpower or other impact volatile substances.
Jido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
thanks very much for that. the only thing i'm worried about with the fire concept is that the model will be boring. basically it will just look like a guy with a bomb. no fancy swords or weapons or anything like that... know what i mean?

Last edited by lampshadehead; 25-02-2008 at 02:05 AM..
Old 18-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #7
HollowReaper
3d Addict

Send a message via MSN to HollowReaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshadehead View Post
thanks very much for that. the only thing i'm worried about with the fire concept is that the model will be boring. basically it will just look like a guy with a bomb. no fancy swords or weapons or anything like that... know what i mean?

ps. some colour on the sketch
Hmm, I think he looks fine, but if you think he might be slightly boring just add some minor stuff to your character to give him personality. if you think about it though, your shot where you show your character in action will probably look amazing.

Ahh maybe also instead of having swords or weapons to make him look fancy, just add him some crazy looking gloves that harness his powers to manipulate this fire power of his.

http://hollowreaper.blogspot.com/
HollowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
OK Starting to tightening it up, and experiment with some options on the details. My original idea had him in an old torn up jacket. I've tried one here that has him in a bullet proof jacket. He's starting to like quite a bit more like a traditional soldier.. not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing

I've tried to keep him lean, but strong looking. I like the idea of him being able to run quite quickly with a bomb on the shoulder, or over his head, then slamming it down when he gets right up into a group of ememies.

Also, I came up with the idea that maybe he'd use an aluminum bat to lob hand grenades at the enemy.. lol

Crits and ideas are very welcome!

PS. Names I'm thinking of for the entry: Wartorn. Wartorn Pheonix. Wasteland Pheonix.
Attached Images

Last edited by lampshadehead; 24-02-2008 at 03:32 PM..
Old 24-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
and with colour:
Attached Images

Old 26-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
pingu722

I think maybe when his grenade exploded and some deathly fire monster will
jump out at the same time
pingu722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
New concept, yes?

OK, I really like the fire invoker idea but I'm not entirely sure if that model would be right for this competition. It's just too plain, and the spirit of this contest seems to be to create a fantasy unit.

SO I whipped up another concept that has been bouncing around in my head the last few days. It's a darkness invoker. Basically, he has the power to manipulate time itself. His aura increases the effect of time on his surroundings, bringing about the aging and deterioration of all matter. He can use his hourglass staff to strike the enemy, instantly aging them by centuries.

What do you think about this one?

PS. he floats!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
soapy
Soapy

Either concept is good. As far as the fantasy theme goes, you could just take your first concept and just give the guy really alien looking body parts. But really nothing in the brief says it has to be crazy out there or anything. Second one is kool too.
Old 13-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
OK, here's some low poly work on the first concept. Is it too sparse? All these parts are under 1K polies right now... that's probably not taking advantage of the poly limit very well. Tell me what you think

The arms are legs are only 6 sided.. should they be more like 8 sided?
Attached Images

Old 14-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #14
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
The blocking in looks pretty good so far. The lines are a little straight up and down/left and right though....give them some more dynamic flow to help shape your character.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
kicksachi

Work more on muscular proportions. Especially the chest and arms. Other things look fine. Keep it up.
kicksachi is offline   Reply With Quote