>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Game Art

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
Dhin - Indiana Jones– A. Quartermain

That is Right! I'm in.

I'm thinking of taking the British Classic Adventure Hero as a archetype for this one.

Everyone knows that Allan Quartermain's son Henry died of smallpox, but what if our Mr. Quartermain had another heir, Henry after all seems to have been born out or wedlock since he was older than the date of Allan's marriage to Henry's mother...

Enter Aleks Quarterman, Allan's second child from a much later affair, following in fathers proud tradition of forsaking the civil world of English cities and climate for the thrill of exploration and hunting the treasures of the Dark Continent.

Indiana Jones actually is why I first read King Solomon's Mines, so it seems a fitting tribute since Indy is a modernized Quartermain of types.

I plan to make Aleks a bit of a mixing of the two, (I may play off of Moore's idea of Quatermain's immortality for his League books in order to set the era though.)

Last edited by dhin; 21-04-2010 at 07:18 PM..
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
I like this idea. Dhin
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Here she is in all her Victorian glory, Aleksandra Quartermain. The time period is from the 1890's to the 1910's. As the daughter of the great Allan Quartermain she is taught to be a expert markswomen, a crack shot, tracker and adventure seeker, but as a women of her time she is seen as second class at the best of times, even by her father. So she is constantly trying to prove herself, especially in trying to out-do her fathers larger than life legend.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Superb back story you can tell you've really given this some thought! Really nice sketch too, this is going to be cool
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
snakeeaterjns

Nice, very promising. Good luck.

Game art competition - Battle Chess
snakeeaterjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Promising start mate It might be fun to have a parasol as one of the props

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Thanks All.

Perversonality - I've thought about it, I'm not sure what props I will do outside the hunting rifle... perhaps it could be a multi-use parasol/sword... gotta think about this more I think.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
concept and back story look very interesting, keep it up.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
gauravcg
Tessellated....

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
nicely explained concept!
Good Luck!

Low Poly Props (Updated)

gauravcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
I will follow this thread...interesting concept
Old 21-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
So, a week and change left, and I decide last night that I have some time to kill... (I am so ready for this semester to be over!)

Anyway, so I take a stab at starting my base mesh. And this is it so far.