>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Game Art

Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #16
Likwidmotive
Eater Of Babies

Thanks Cordero.... im rendering you some gold stars and shipping them to you (Cause I to found a cozy place for it in a binder that has all of this kinda of stuff.
---------------------------------------------

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=75121
Likwidmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #17
Crevasse

When drawing in a pose I suggest using guides then fleshing it out.

This website had a good little guide to how to do it. There's different techniques to for everyone but it's a good example.
http://www.foxprints.com/tracy/misc/...r_drawing.html
Crevasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #18
mies

Wow thanks i was thinking of "the thinker pose" on an rock but then sligtly more relaxed than the statue. Im gonna start this evening on this and i like those lines also b4 i start drawing thnx again for your help!

Cordero: Ive been reading back and u are absolutely right. I found ur suggestions most helpfull! and i hope u can see the results in what i posted sofar. Thank you for taking the time to not only look at my drawing but also to give me this very detailed suggestions. And im sorry for ignoring you, i didnt mean anything by it, and especialy not that ur advice would be crap. cuz its gold to me! keep up the good work!

Last edited by mies; 09-04-2010 at 01:45 PM..
mies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #19
Bananaman

Lol Cordero... I think you over reacted a bit there. Seeing how he complete ditched his old concept and started over with reference you gave him and making sure his anatomy was correct before continuing with the next step.

Just because he forgot to add a thank you in his post doesn't mean he just ignored it.

@ Mies, good progress so far, anatomy is looking much better Be carefull not to follow the generic measurements TO much tho, a character needs character. Give him some unique features to set him apart from other characters.
Bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #20
Crevasse

Can't wait to see your progress.
Crevasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Same here, looking forward on your progress!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
[QUOTE=Bananaman;782825]

Be carefull not to follow the generic measurements TO much tho, a character needs character.[ /QUOTE]

^^ That

pay attention to that.

If you still like your original concept go back to it and mess with the proportions tili they're interesting using the liquify tool in photoshop.

Don't measure heads or any of that stuff when getting ideas down - it screws up your flow.

draw out stick men as shown above to get a pose sorted - the spine curve, angle of shoulders and planting of feet are key to defining weight distribution - if you get them wrong the pose will look wrong and ruin everything else.

I find it pays to remember these things and distort them to purpose...

elbows happen at vaguely waist level.
the torso is about half the length of a leg.
heads are between 1/2 and 1/3 of body width
necks aren't as long as you think.
the inner ankle joint is higher up than the outer one.

anyways,

rant over, get some more work up

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #23
mies

I wanna thank al you guys for taking the time to look at my work and give me such good advice. I need to draw and draw till i drop i have been trying some more lately. It feels like every single line is wrong, and i find it hard to continu a drawing when i realize it isnt perfect. But it should be wrong to learn from it right? So what can i learn from this one? any thoughts on this guys? (very much appriciated). feel free to tear it apart.
Attached Images

mies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #24
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
I would love to see some dirty ass drawings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're trying to do here is concept art right? I don't like super extra clean line work on a concept. If a drawing is not coming up the right way keep going, scribble, erase, add until you're happy with it.

Stick figures are fine for getting the basic feel of a pose, but don't forget to do some gesture drawings to get the feel of the weight, size, etc of the character.

If it's not coming out right, try harder.

looking forward to seeing what you got.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
agreed on the messy front - especially when getting ideas down. Work as fast and loose as you can in the early stages.

I spend upwards of half an hour drawing little thumbnails quickly before I find my flow and can start to knock out anything worth looking at.

as to what you've done...

Your stick man is carrying good weight etc. his proportions are plausible except the left leg ( the shin bone is too short and the thigh too long) so just a couple of small alterations and you're in a position where you can start fleshing out the bulk.

I'm not sure how good a pose that is for concept work - a lot of his body is hidden so you're obscuring information you'll need for modelling later.
Thats fine if you're going to do more drawings that cover the details and you're just trying to get an overall form and mood going on. I'd certainly continue with that sketch to a point where you've got everything laid out roughly though.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote