>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > 3DTotal Products > BlueCherry:v1.0

Old 16-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Runtime Error: ambient_reflective_occlusion...

Hey everyone,

This error came up for users of 3dsMax 9 with the productivity booster.

I'm afraid I do not have a solution for it at this time. We at 3dTotal tested BlueCherry for 3dsMax 8 (and it's service packs) and 3dsMax 9 (and it's service packs). When Autodesk released the productivity booster, we suddenly got a flood of E-mails telling us about this exact problem. Autodesk seems to have changed the Ambient Occlusion API without documenting it anywhere, making it very difficult for us to fix this bug right away while keeping AO functionality.

I know this sounds lame, but we are working as hard as we can to figure out what was changed so we can release a fast-fix for BC. Please accept my personal apologies for the trouble you're experiencing, and my assurance that I'm working as quickly as I can to get a solution to you.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 25-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
I've worked every resource I have short of calling up autodesk and giving them a liter of blood for dev support. It looks like that's what it'll take.

For now, however, I do not have consistant, fast, or reliable access to the internet and will be in-and-out of communications.

More to follow as soon as it happens.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
News flash
Autodesk has finally heard my plea for fixing this problem. After wrestling with thier technical support for over a week, they have accepted my bug submission and are processing it for a solution.

While I'm still a little miffed that this is going so slowly, I know that a solid resolution will come out of it. Moreover, I have added this as a required feature for version 2.0. The plug-in shouldn't fall to pieces when Autodesk makes this kind of mistake. Period.

Thanks for your patience! I'll keep you posted!
Old 14-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
News Flash
Autodesk has gotten back to me and given me a workaround. I'm still at work right now, so I can't test it until I get home. However, if it works, I'll do my best to hammer out a hotfix tonight and get it released for you guys to enjoy this weekend.

Take care, and thanks again!
Old 15-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Complete
Can one of you gents having trouble please send me a PM with your E-mail address? I want to wire you a corrected file to try out. If it works I can send out a hotfix right then and there.

I ask this because none of my Beta testers ran into this problem so none of them can test this!

I'll stick close to my computer until I get a response.
Old 17-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
wadoman

pm sent
wadoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Quick Reply
Right on Wadoman. I'll send that off as soon as I'm home from work! (5pm Central USA Time).
Old 21-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
wadoman

hey sorry for the late reply so far it seems to have worked

Last edited by wadoman; 21-06-2007 at 06:43 PM..
Old 21-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Quick Reply
Wha?! No wai! I'll look into that post haste.
Old 21-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
wadoman

Oh you got to my post sooner then I could change it, but it seems to be working. im going to be playing with it somemore later on. I just dont have the time to right now.
Old 21-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #11
wadoman

OH and thanks for your hard work on getting the fix. much appreciated.
Old 21-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
wadoman

hey would you mind sending me a test scene I could use. Cause I got the error again. Now I may be doing something wrong like are there any requirements needed in the scene to start up bluecherry?
Old 21-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Quick Reply
There should be no special requirements for setting up a scene. You should be able to engage/disengage ambient occlusion without any problems.

I'm surprised it happens only intermittently. Does it happen when you start up 3dsMax? Open an old scene? Create a new scene? Some more context about when it happens might give clues as to what's causing it. =)
Old 22-06-2007, 03:18 AM   #14
wadoman

OK I went back and erased the new fix files and then reinstalled them and now it works like a charm everytime. not sure what happend on the first install. Oh well sorry for the hassel. thanks again.
Old 22-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Quick Reply
Rock on! Glad to hear it!!
Wow, that sure brightened my day.