>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 18-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
DWIV - 3D - Crispy4004 - Abraxas

Attached Images

Last edited by Crispy4004; 18-05-2009 at 08:24 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Some early concept sketches and an update to the Demon Prince.
Attached Images

Old 19-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Great start. Have you thought about what he's going to wear, or is he gonna be a stripped down prince?
Old 19-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
I've been tossing around a few ideas in my head for clothing. I do however want to have a good amount of skin to show with whatever I put on him.

At least initially, I am trying to the focus on pushing character through the anatomy. For example, notice how much the build of the David illustration below says about his character. After I'm happy with the overall vibe, I'll work on designing clothes that reflect the personality.
Attached Images

Last edited by Crispy4004; 19-03-2009 at 05:29 AM..
Old 19-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Thats a nice sculpt so far. Keep up the good work. Its looking good.
Old 21-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
An update to the concept with a few ideas jotted down. I want try some dynamic experimentation on this model to get a unique look. Should be a fun challenge to try to fit everything within the polycount and texture maps.
Attached Images

Old 21-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
I like the delicacy of the sculpt, nice stuff.
Old 21-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
jjvdb15

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 1
the sculpt has the feeling of that old image you posted. nice touch, i would say that you should try to keep that sort of translation throughout the project.
jjvdb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the comments. jjvdb15 I'm definitely looking at that drawing for inspiration, though my characters body type will be a tad different.

I've been trying to make certain features more prominant than a normal human, but still keep some subtlety so it doesn't get that fake cutout muscule look.
Attached Images

Last edited by Crispy4004; 21-03-2009 at 09:08 PM..
Old 21-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
I like your sculpt, I hope that you will not lose too much detail with the low poly and normal map because your character is really finely sculpt. Good continuity, I would follow your thread with interest

Last edited by chris_solo; 21-03-2009 at 09:52 PM..
chris_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
anima3d
teh nabcake

Send a message via Yahoo to anima3d
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 38 ''triped'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 52 ''It's our birthday'' 
Total Awards: 5
aya. looks really scary this demon kid and the sculpt is awesome
Old 22-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #12
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Update on the arm, and a shot of the back. Next I'll try getting around to the hands feet, and face.
Attached Images

Old 22-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #13
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Nice work, I like how he is sized like a boy but the detail in the skin is a tad 'older'...not as smooth as it 'should' be for a boy that age. Its a nice touch.
Old 22-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
chris_solo - I did a quick normal map test after I read your post. Used a 1k map cause I wanted to limit the space. The normals actually picked up just about everything. But I'm definitely a little worried about the silhouette. It looked great with the test, but the base mesh I'm sculpting with is 10k tris.

anima3d - Thanks, it's really reassuring to hear he's looking scary. When I first started the project I was a little worried that he wasn't looking the part enough. I guess I'm kinda shooting for something in-between scary and creepy.

discmage - Good to hear the definition is working. Usually if I make a sculpt cut like this it's a mistake . It's been a bit liberating to intentionally go a little harder on some details.
Old 22-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
redonix76
3DT 4 Life

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I relly like your style. Very classic looking like the great Michael Angelo or Da Vinci. I do agree with discmage that his skin make him look way older. It's really tough to have a character in Zbrush and not put allot of cool details on. It's addictive!!

-Portfolio-
-DWV-
redonix76 is offline   Reply With Quote