>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Texturing & Skinning Help

Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Peter C

Puke soaked rag texture - 3ds max

Hi, I'm making an animation and it calls for a puked soaked rag in one scene. I woman will pull a rag out of a dryer and its soaked with puke says "Ew gross!" then immediately shoves it down the washing making. I have the dripping liquid looking ok. Its PF flow with spheres that instance geometry various splatter models when they hit the ground plane. But I'm having trouble with the chunks of puke that are on the rag. (They are instance geometry particles of various chunks of puke with a position object controller to the animated rag)

1. I want most of the chunks of puke to be at the bottom of the rag. But density by material is not really working in the position object rollout. I think I have it set to grayscale and material ID correctly, but obviously my rag is not going to be the grayscale gradient ramp I assigned it. So I uncheck the box in the material browser. The particles won't collect where they are suppose to.

2. For obvious reasons, I cant seem to find any good texture material or a really close up source image of puke on the internet. I really don't feel like generating puke myself (mmm ipecac). Any suggestions?

3. I noticed there should be a layer of slime over everything. But with the cloth modifier and puke chunks as particles. How in the world do I achieve this? I simply can't increase the shell modifier on the cloth for the separate layer because that wont include the particles. I'm Stumped.

4. I would use Blob mesh but its not working right for some reason. No mater what settings I try I cant get it do get small enough without disappearing from me. And it ends up looking like little spheres. I really dont want one million particles in this scene, its not needed. (plus my poor 750 Mhz render slaves would scream at me.)

Oh and I am doing layer rendering so anything that requires a different layer is fine with me.

Last edited by Peter C; 01-10-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Lighter

2. For the puke texture, I couldn't imagine it being impossible to generate some pretty decent results mixing procedulal maps, though I've never tried myself. I'd suggest taking some time to search for some good "reference" images and going from there with procedurals. It won't be pleasant searching for the references, but it will help get the job done. Hahaha.

3. For the layer of slime, I'd imagine a shellac material would work, since you can have a glossy slimy sheen over the base material. I don't work much with particles myself, so I don't know if you have as much freedom with the materials you're working with as I'd imagine, but if you do, sometimes these simple solutions are the best. Occam's Razor is the name of the game.

These are all very simple potential solutions to a problem that may be much more complex than I know, but I hope they can help to any degree.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Peter C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighter View Post
2. For the puke texture, I couldn't imagine it being impossible to generate some pretty decent results mixing procedulal maps, though I've never tried myself. I'd suggest taking some time to search for some good "reference" images and going from there with procedurals. It won't be pleasant searching for the references, but it will help get the job done. Hahaha.

3. For the layer of slime, I'd imagine a shellac material would work, since you can have a glossy slimy sheen over the base material. I don't work much with particles myself, so I don't know if you have as much freedom with the materials you're working with as I'd imagine, but if you do, sometimes these simple solutions are the best. Occam's Razor is the name of the game.

These are all very simple potential solutions to a problem that may be much more complex than I know, but I hope they can help to any degree.
Thanks for your help,

But I really looked at the movement of the rag and decided that just a simple texture map and bump map will do because the thing really never stays still long enough for you to get a really good look at it. Hopefully when I apply motion blur to it the audiences mind will fill in the gaps and it will be really disgusting looking rather than cheesy.

I'm crossing my fingers it comes out ok because I have no more time to work on it. I'll get back the results when my render farm delivers it to me. Go 650 Mhz processors!
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
DarthWayne
Digital Sculpting Addict

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 3
Take a camera to newcastles 'bigg market' drinking area on a saturday night and you'll have more reference than you'll ever need or want lol.

Wayne...

Tags
particles, puke, rag, slime, vomit