>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 18-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Kurokami

Newbie Here!

I was just wondering... is there a program designed only for animating particles?
I know how to use the ones on 3dsmax, but i would like to know if there is some specialized software to generate effects alone and then add'em to the composition...
Kurokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Nukie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Not that I know of, but there are very powerful plugins for Max aimed only towards particle animation, like FumeFX and Krakatoa.
Old 19-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Kurokami

Thanks!
Old 22-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Bering
Student

The best software for particles I know of is Foundry's NukeX

I would not recommend using the Autodesk for particles, because it takes up a lot of power, and I have never seen any good results by using it.

in NukeX, you have a lot more freedom for adjustments of your particles and the best part is, you can get it to look real too! While I find particles in Adobe After Effects to be harder to control and looks real, and reach the look I want.

Here's a great tutorial covering the foundations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOaZKVCmGgg

Hope it helps, and I hope it's not too late for me to reply to this post
Bering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
Kurokami

Thanks, i'll look it up later... Also, maybe i should have been a bit more specific with what i want... Let's say i want to create a fire dragon, or a smoke skull, or something like that... How do i do it?
I mean, i want to make a fantasy/epic animation, so i'll be using lots of this kind of thing...
Old 24-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Bering
Student

What you can do is, to create the fire you need for either your dragon and your skull as a foundation. Don't worry about how the shape is, in the beginning - but make sure the fire, looks good, moves right, and is authentic. Then what you can do, once your happy with your particles, is to add a mask having the shape you want, of a skull, dragon or whatever - then the fire will only show up, on the inside of the mask - and you can animate the mask as well, to get the dragon moving.

You can also do a silhouette animation in ex: flash, and use that as a mask.

I haven't done stuff like this before, but this is probably the way I'd approach it.
Bering is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBering! Thank you:
Kurokami (25-02-2013)

Tags
animating, particles