>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > AVATAR

Old 16-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
outlander

Awards Showcase
The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: For producing some winning artwork in the Avatar interforum competition. 
Total Awards: 1
Avatar - 3d - outlander - Tree's Madness

Hi everybody,
my name is Gianluca Venturini, I'm 19 and I'm Italian. I'm not a real artist, but I really enjoy 3d graphic. So, my concept is very simple: my avatar will be a tree fallen into madness. I will use:

Hexagon 2.5 to model the character, objects and buildings
Zbrush to add detail to the main model
Vue 7 XStream to build the landscape and texturing/ rendering
Poser, Daz Studio to add some variety in characters
Photoshop for postwork
and maybe C4d for some special effects, but I'm not shure about it

pictures will come very soon!

UPDATE: THE STORY BEHIND THE PICTURE

Hard times in Hacawry, northern land of the continent. The necromancers of the region have stopped their interest in reanimating death people, because they have found a new source of dark power.
Coming from the south, a priest gets lost in the "Grace Forest", where the necromancers have their cove. They catch him, and steal his book. In its pages, they find this inscription:

"for thou who have the power
there is no difference between
being, living and comprehending;
there is a secret wispered by the trees
about a relic hidden in the forest.
Thou, who are reading this pages,
search in the forest!
There you will find its Heart,
capable of conferring true life to plants and animals.
"

The relic is "the Dark Heart of the Forest", which is said to be the heart of a goddess fallen into madness due to the poisoning caused by a plant.
The necromancers start to search it, and finally they find it. They graft a fragment of it in a secular tree, hoping to use its force to conquer the region.
But the powerful force of nature that was instilled in the tree doesn't allow any control. The tree rebels and destroys everything on his path.
But the necromancers don't stop experimenting: fragments of the Heart are inserted in birds and eagles, turning them into terrible harpies, and in lizards, transormed into dragons.
Civilization begin to fall in Hacawri. The cities are destroyed by the fireballs of the dragons, the forests come to life and kill every living being, and the ancient pagan temples become the cove of nameless and obscure creatures. Chaos dominates.
Attached Images

Last edited by outlander; 11-02-2009 at 01:59 PM..
outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
outlander

Awards Showcase
The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: For producing some winning artwork in the Avatar interforum competition. 
I'm not a great modeler, unfortunately I'm new with Hexagon
Attached Images

Last edited by outlander; 05-02-2009 at 08:38 AM..
Old 16-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
outlander

Awards Showcase
some texturing experiments in Vue. I added some trunks in Vue to the original model
Attached Images

Old 17-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
AndrewQ

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 2
I have to say, pretty cool looking! The texture seems a little harsh, but other than that, this is looking kinda awesome. I'm not familiar with hexagon, but keep up the good work!
AndrewQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
outlander

Awards Showcase
this is the textured bridge, its textures aren't what I expected but in the final image it won't be so visible
Attached Images

Old 19-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
outlander

Awards Showcase
these days I'm working on the landscape and on the atmosphere of the image in Vue 7. The first image is an opengl render, only to show you how many terrains I will use to give the image a sense of depth. The second is a texturized version, and the third is the second plus an atmosphere, really intriguing (I don't know why there are those strange circles, an error in the textures maybe?). More to come
Attached Images

Old 19-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
outlander

Awards Showcase
I decided that in the final image I will use some poser characters just to give more variety. I think I will use this ogre. I found it in a dvd in the italian edition of '3d World' magazine.
Attached Images

Old 22-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
outlander

Awards Showcase
I'm trying to give more detail and personality to the main character in zbrush. And I think I will add an harpy and a dragon... (daz 3d)
Attached Images

Old 22-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
outlander

Awards Showcase
This is a tower I modelled in hexagon. It's very simple, I want to put it in the distance, far away from the main camera
Attached Images

Old 23-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
outlander

Awards Showcase
little houses modelled in hexagon to create a little village in the distance
Attached Images

Old 24-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
outlander

Awards Showcase
a temple
Attached Images

Old 24-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
outlander

Awards Showcase
the texturized temple
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #13
outlander

Awards Showcase
now I'm building the landscape. I made extensive use of echosystems. I'm using the low-poly version of the main character to do test renders because I don't want to stress my pc too much
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
outlander

Awards Showcase
trying to make the tree more dynamic
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
outlander

Awards Showcase
Now I'm focusing on the right part of the image... the textures of the terrain under the temple and of the terrain behind the trees don't satisfy me... I will work on them
Attached Images