>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: George Lucas, 3rd place speed sculpting #14 Celebrity Caricature The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Runner Hybrid, 2nd place speed sculpting #17 Biomechanical Hybrid Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
DWIV - 3D - H2olt - Despolitox

Recent Update: Figured I'd add this reference image now that my thread is longer than one page.
Final name for this guy is Despolitox: the plaguebringer

Hey All...

I am aware that this is late in the game to be making this post, I hope no one takes offense that I'm trying to jump in at this late hour. I started on this concept over a month ago, but I had a rather stressful go at it, then my own little demons took hold and i couldn't bring myself to work on it anymore. (the more people i talk to I hear that's not completely unusual)

Anyway, I'll be working on this all week, and I'll try to include lots of commentary on the corners I'm cutting, and the decisions I'm making. And maybe when this is all said and done I'll have a nice reference for myself on how to buckle down and get stuff done in a short window.

Comments/ Critiques are more than welcome I'm gonna be alone in my room for the long haul, and I'm the kind of person who needs contact to function. Please try to keep critiques focused as time is limited, and paintovers are always welcome

anywho, enough about me and the craziness that is about to ensue, here are some of the concepts I have for my friend I'll be spending the next week with.
I have an updated head concept in mind (think hippo squid) , and my next course of action will be to get some renderings of that done so I can figure out if there are any problems with the image i have in my head.
Attached Images

Last edited by H2olt; 19-05-2009 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: updated Image link
H2olt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: George Lucas, 3rd place speed sculpting #14 Celebrity Caricature The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Runner Hybrid, 2nd place speed sculpting #17 Biomechanical Hybrid Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Here's what I have in mind for the head. Wasn't really able to get the open head to my liking so i'll just try modeling more like the closed head. and just open it up slightly. it's really not that important for the overall character, i don't want to distract to much from the plague idea.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Nice concept. I'm looking forward to see more.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
I am here for you man I will gladly keep an eye on this thread and let you know what I think as you progress. Best of luck!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
H2olt

Awards Showcase
JuST - THx, well here's more
Darchand - thx man, it's such a relief to see that there are still people looking at this on a regular basis, since i know this is sorta heads down working time.

Well here's and update, I tend to get really deep into zbrush without thinking of the final form/pose/structure so i figured I'd spend an hour working in a more familiar medium to make sure i get that all right. hopefully in the end this won't be an hour I want back... we'll see.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
H2olt

Awards Showcase
OK, got a rough blocked out form done in zbrush. Gonna take this into mayo or max now and make the low poly so that I can figure out how I'm gonna distribute polys. I'm thinking of shooting for around 7-8K poly so I can add stuff later if need be.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Well, had a slight hiccup last night as it turns out I've been playing with zbrush so much lately I didn't realize i din't have maya or max on this computer yet. So though I would have rather gotten the low poly done Since I can't easily make the head in zbrush. I just detailed the bease mesh more than i had planned, hopefully I'll have no problems projecting these details onto the highpoly. for some reason my computer doesn't like the zproject function of zbrush. (if anyone else has that problem and knows a way around it I'd be eager to hear)

I've been told that it's difficult to critique my work at this point since the head is a little vague hopefully I'll be fixing that soon in maya, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know it looks like i'm startting late and there's no way i could finish, but you'd be surprised how far feedback can get me.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #8
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Well not sure what your going for, but right now the head reminds me of a turtle. It's head popping out of it's shell. Looks interesting, but not sure if that is what you had in mind.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Just edited the title line with "final" name i'm going with for this guy. Despolitox: the Plaguebringer.

Any thoughts?...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
Fixor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Very promising, dude! I want to model with real mud now

DWIV - 3D - Fixor - Eckhart
Fixor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Well here's an update with the new head that's closer to what i initially had in mind. I thing the head might still look a little too turtleish, but i think that can be fixed down the road with a few more tentacles and teeth.

Also for overall looks, keep in mind that there will be smoke and glowing embers coming out of all the larger cracks and craters.

Any and all feedback appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
spartan118
Lookn 4 professional work

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
This is pulling together pretty well cant wait to see it textured, the 2 day extension means you'll have more time to complete this, good luck.

You can help support the project here

CURRENT RIG:
Intel Core i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, ATI RADEON 2GB GDDR5.
spartan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
It is looking good so far. I think it is cool to see some one concept there idea up in literal clay. I have a couple of reference pics for you a couple from world of warcraft and one from conceptart.org. They may help you on inspiration for your sculpt.

This one is clearly not a character but there are many elements you could use on a character.

Blizzard never runs short of cool looking characters and is a great place to look for some inspiration.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Fixor- Totally, I love making things for real. Zbrush and mudbox are big steps forward, but untill i can hold something and smush it in my hand till i like it, I'll still be faster with real clay
spartan118- Thx, yeah since i pretty much started work on this on monday a 2 day extension is like a 30% bump to the deadline for me.
Darchand- Wow, thx so much, that environment is truely creepy, and I'll look to that for detailing Ideas. And yeah, wow is a good idea place. I usually am on there like 3 hrs a day, but I've given that up for a while so I can actually get some work done. between those character designs and the environment I can't help but think of Kryb from the green lantern series.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Man, you're un poco loco starting this late, but hey, with the extensions, your schedules doubled in time now, so I'm looking forward to what you come up with for sure/

Looks like you're off to a nice start. I'm not entirely sure what your intentions are, but here's what I'm seeing when I look at your creature. He's kinda plant like, looks like he's got some roots and such, his one hand looks kinda like flower petals. Being a "plague bringer" I see him spreading spores to in clouds and killing people. So some nice muted greens yellows for most of him, like the middle image Darchand posted, then throw some nice vibrant colors in for the "flower" so that it really pops.

Anyway, just some thoughts, maybe that's what you're already thinking, maybe I'm just crazy. In any case, nice start, looking forward to more.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote