>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Sculpting

Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #106
Liam282

Hey there people, This is my first post here on 3dtotal and I'm just browsing through at the moment but I gotta say the sculpts and such you guys are coming up with are amazing and have really inspired to me to give it a shot so count me in!

I have not much experience with Zbrush in terms of sculpting but I do know how it works so Ill give it my best, I have recently finished a base mesh that I have decided to share you guys just in case there is anyone in need of getting started anyways expect some updates soon from me.

EDIT: Oh crap i just gave the brief an extra read over about the base mesh, my bad!

Many thanks again!

Liam

Last edited by Liam282; 08-02-2010 at 09:51 PM..
Liam282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #107
Dack

Alphas

Stone King your the man!
Thanks a lot for the Alphas these will help great once I get to that point on my model.
Here also is my base mesh I will have to take it into 3dsmax and fix some problems I'm already seeing in the mesh. My feet came out similar to the ones you showed earlier having the same problem with the poly flow I'm not really sure how to approach fixing the edges on it but ill let u guy know how it comes out.
Attached Images

Dack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #108
Dack

question

Do we record if were fixing topology? Zbrush messed up some parts of my model so I have to go in and fix edge loops is that counted on my sculpt time?
Also when I import the obj from zbrush my model came in a bunch of sections instead of one whole model. Did I do something wrong or is that just how zbrush exports?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #109
Inpw

7 hours...

I have small question: presentation works such as posing and pedestal are included in time limit?
Inpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #110
nancy2176

greatpic MightyReg. Am excited about this coming competition too, but might pass up. I do like the cool prizes.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #111
Dack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inpw View Post
7 hours...

I have small question: presentation works such as posing and pedestal are included in time limit?
Yes the posing and building of the base are included in the time limit.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #112
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Total Awards: 2
Liam282: Hey, happy to see others Zbrush newbies in this contest, welcome!

Dack: I am pretty sure retopologyzing is counting in the 10 hours. I added edgeloops and deleted edges on my model and counted it in my time.
Oh and watch out for your pengabear's balance, right now it looks like he would fell on his butt.

Impw: Hey, its not an abominable snowman, it's an abominable snow-woman! Pretty good sculpt so far

nancy2176: Hey thanks!

So here is an update of my sculpt so far. Trying to block out the anatomy and shapes of my yeti before going into other subdivisions. Still have to work a bit on muscles, especially when I look on the side view. Any comments or help is welcome.
Attached Images

MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:19 AM   #113
Liam282

MightyReg: Hehe thanks very much mate! Sculpt is looking hella awsome so far!

Dack: Thats looking really magnificent there! cant wait to see more!

I'm sorry I am not offering much C&C at the moment as it is 5 am and I am pretty tired lol but yeah i managed to get my base Zsphere cage down within an hour or so as I got stuck on particular parts of the design I am still making concepts out some Zsphere mesh models at the moment and I was really reminded of the movie "The Thing" When I saw the concept art for some reason but its just a direction out of the ordinary that I was aiming for however ill most likely ditch the second head and star adding in toes and see were I go from there.

Anyways Liam need nap nap lol later guys and C&C is really appreciated!

Liam282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #114
Dack

Ah

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys!
MightyReg-Ah I see what you are talking about i just noticed it thanks for heads up on the balance,plus yours is looking good cant wait to see the final.

Liam 282-Thanks for the comments looking forward to seeing the ice alien should be pretty neat once it done and the base is looking good so far so keep it up.

Inpw- Id tap that Yetti!
I noticed that the forearms are too short they need to be longer to go with the proportions of the rest of the body id say pull it out the same length as the palm of her hand.Just that much space more it needs to look correct,because the arms when closed come a little above the nee if you look at everyone's base mesh on this page you should be able to see what I mean by "above the knee". Also make the biceps half a palms length longer too that will improve the length of the arms to look more proportioned.
Keep up the good stuff and you should make it some kind of fan service pose bet it would come out pretty good.lol
IDEA-"Maybe sunbathing on a slab of ice,just a thought"

Last edited by Dack; 09-02-2010 at 04:51 AM..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #115
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Hi Everybody

Great to see this contest full of nice works,
I think it is the best example of how great it is for
everyone envolved, info exchanged, well placed crits and so and so,

Dack-Nice idea, to fix it's balance wil be easy, keep it comming
Mighty-It is already looking very nice, can't whait to see the updates!
Inpw- Very nice to came up with a woman, i like it very much
Liam- nice idea the 2 headed, it needs some tweaks on the proportions,
the showders are too close togeter for example, but thanks to ZBrush
it is easy to change proportions with the ZSpheres
Anima-Any updates? your base mesh looks very promissing

Here's mine at 7hours and 30minutes
Still need refine on the face for close-ups and the base
I hope i have time for the base....

Hope you like it
Cheers
Attached Images

www.stoneking.com.br
Stoneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #116
anima3d
teh nabcake

Send a message via Yahoo to anima3d
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 38 ''triped'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 52 ''It's our birthday'' 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneking View Post
Anima-Any updates? your base mesh looks very promissing
Nop.. Still trying to get some free time
W8ing for the weekend atm

You ve done a great job man. Lot of detail, smooth and clear just love it
Old 09-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #117
BARON3D

Send a message via MSN to BARON3D
Thank you so much Stoneking glad you like it. I use 2 hours for detail.

BARON3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:03 AM   #118
Dack

Problem need help

Okay wanted to start sculpting my monster already but I'm having edge flow problems any one know if this could be prevented before I made the mesh into 3d? Or if there is a simple way of fixing it in zbrush? Please any advice would help if I cant fix it then im going to half to remake it in 3ds max. Dam you Zbrush!
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #119
Dack

Problem need help

Okay wanted to start sculpting my monster already but I'm having edge flow problems any one know if this could be prevented before I made the mesh into 3d? Or if there is a simple way of fixing it in zbrush? Please any advice would help if I cant fix it then im going to half to remake it in 3ds max. Dam you Zbrush!
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #120
berendey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge ''Army of One'' Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner in Speed Modeling -Devil's Chariot 
Total Awards: 4
Dack

I advise you to do retopology in zbrush with projection.
berendey is offline   Reply With Quote