>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Sculpting

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
I can tell already there's going to be some really good healthly competition of female amazonian warriors here Looking forward to seeing them all!
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turvs View Post
Do you think its best to do base mesh in 3ds max similar to yours MightyReg or using zspheres in zbrush?
I'd say it's really up to you. I like sometime to start with Zspheres in Zbrush in challenges like these where there is a time limit, since it is really fast. The inconvenient with Zspheres tough is that you can't really control the edgeflow, and you can have too much polys in the hands/toes and not enough on the body/face.

But since this month there is no time limit, I tought I would take 30 min more and do one in Maya with a good edgeflow, putting my edges where I need them.
MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Turvs

Thanks i have just attemted one in 3ds max n doesnt look right. So im doing it in zbrush then putting it is 3ds max to sort out the mesh.
Turvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
throne
Problem ?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turvs View Post
Do you think its best to do base mesh in 3ds max similar to yours MightyReg or using zspheres in zbrush?
My personal preference, base mesh in 3ds, will allow for a better Edge flow and you wont be "forced" to retopo later on.
throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
Turvs

ok just failed a second time at making a base mesh, i have know idea why i cant make one. I ok on zbrush (not with zspheres i always mess that up) and good on 3ds max just cant create one. Going to try zspheres see it that works. Also with zbrush anyway to get a ref pic on there so i can get the size right?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
two quick questions
1: are we allowed to modernize our design. example http://kassarts.deviantart.com/art/M...azon-146938226
or do we need to stick to the traditional amazon design such as http://xiaji777.deviantart.com/art/Amazon-61076971
or maybe a combination of both.

2: is it a requirement to have our progress recorded via Camtasia or Fraps?

Whats the next Number?

My Website
My ART Blog
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Turvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
Not forced at all. It's a suggestion, and if you do record it you don't have to post it anywhere. It's just something good to have in case it would be requested.

This is about fun, learning and cool sculpting. We're not gonna go "Big Brother" on you.
Also i think i can be modern as its still the same concept.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
throne
Problem ?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
All these questions made me wonder myself, The amazon itself is described to be a beautiful female warrior, so do we have to go for a specific traditional clothing?

Last edited by throne; 03-04-2010 at 01:31 PM..
Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
Liam282

Hey guys sorry for not posting for a while, I will be entering this comp for sure and such, I sadly could not finish the coming of ice one last time because of work on my portfolio for a college place (which i got woot!) but yeah count me in for sure!

Oh and Turvs if your having trouble with your base mesh you should check out soem of Ben's tutorials over here: http://poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm

I would really not focus too much on getting a perfect base mesh by the way man, and if your really having trouble you should also follow the Joan of arc tutorial that is on the 3dtotal homepage(http://3dtotal.com/pages/tutorials/m...c/joanmenu.php) it has helped me out a great deal when I was learning and once you get something that looks like a female put loops around areas that will have to bu sub-divided and it will work just fine in Zbrush/Mudbox and so on. Focus on enjoyment and you will be fine and grab some pics of women on the net to use as a guide for anatomy which I am sure the net is usefull for lol! But yeah hope this helps ya out man, best of luck!
Liam282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #25
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
To further clarify on some questions:

1. The modern approach to the theme would take this in too many directions. Let's keep it in the traditional mood like TNTxGRAVE's second image: http://xiaji777.deviantart.com/art/Amazon-61076971

2. It is not a requirement to record your progress, it is a suggestion. If you do record, you do not have to post in anywhere, but it is good for you to have it in case it is requested that you show it ( in private, for any possible reason that cannot be foreseen at this time ).

3. Make the amazons as hot as you like. Oh, you mean this question wasn't asked?

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #26
throne
Problem ?

Awards Showcase
So somthing this way http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5739/ss974.jpg wouldn't fit ?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #27
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Throne: That's not modernized. It's a fantasy Night Ellf. I think a similar idea would fit perfectly.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:16 AM   #28
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
To further clarify on some questions:

1. The modern approach to the theme would take this in too many directions. Let's keep it in the traditional mood like TNTxGRAVE's second image: http://xiaji777.deviantart.com/art/Amazon-61076971

2. It is not a requirement to record your progress, it is a suggestion. If you do record, you do not have to post in anywhere, but it is good for you to have it in case it is requested that you show it ( in private, for any possible reason that cannot be foreseen at this time ).

3. Make the amazons as hot as you like. Oh, you mean this question wasn't asked?
Thank you FreeSpace for clarifying things for me. Now I have a direction in which to go. I wanted to do a 90% traditional and 10% modern character. The 10% would be taking something as simple as a traditional weapon and bringing it up-to-date. so she isnt running around with a stick.

Whats the next Number?

My Website
My ART Blog
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #29
throne
Problem ?

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Throne: That's not modernized. It's a fantasy Night Ellf. I think a similar idea would fit perfectly.
Thanks for the Clarification, and sorry if the question sounded stupid but i had to be sure my approach will qualify.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #30
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
i think i'll join the party on this one, here is my base...
Attached Images

M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote