>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Atomhawk Challenge (Sponsored by Wacom)

Old 19-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
atahan_zugul

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 1
Thumbs up ATOMHAWK 3D - Noir - atahan_zugul

Goin for a Travis Chares/Drew Struzan kind of feel. Threw down some sketches to get some semblance of a story and work out the composition before goin to the 3d - figure this way i wont waste time on unnecessary stuff - seeing as how tight the deadline is. Cheers and Luck to all.

atahan_zugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
I like the bottom right of the scamps
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
atahan_zugul

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Locked in and Detailed Chosen Thumbnail.

Decided to use this comp, and get a more detailed thumbnail down to gimme some direction to follow and avoid wasting time on unnecessary assets down the line. I took out the figure in the middle i had sketched in during the thumbnail stage primarily because it seems to upset the composition by drawing the eye away from the center of the image, i have contemplated putting in a third figure in its place which faces directly towards the viewer but... only time will tell on that one. Having taken it this far 2d - im actually wondering whether it would be worth while just doin it all in photoshop... (not sure.). Cheers, all crits and comments welcome, and goodluck everyone.

Tarik: With the time constraints what they are with this competition and dominance war underway, i chose this composition on account of... well the less amount of modelling and general work i would have to do really - the thumb bottom right would take quite alot more modelling i think. Good luck on your entry also mate.

Last edited by atahan_zugul; 19-03-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Old 19-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
liking it

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
vnmribaya

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 75 ''Deep Sea Creature'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' 
Total Awards: 8
nice comp, good choice, waiting to see some color palletes
vnmribaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
great composition so far.
what medium did u use, it almost looks like charcoal?
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
atahan_zugul

Awards Showcase
Update: Male Sculpt Almost Done

Got the Male more or less sculpted out. Needs to be detailed at this point - and some accessories added. Sculpt took on and off 2 days - used some 3dsk guy as reference. Gonna move onto the robot lookin fellow to sketch him out in zbrush - might be fun playing around with the new clipping brush set. Good Luck all!

xxxcubanxxx: Thanks dude.

vnmribaya: Thanks, not sure if im going to go into a color paintover of the concept or even texture the models at this point - might render out to black and white and add all texturing and stuff in post - whatever saves time me thinks lol.

astroAJ: Thanks, yeah i chose this composition mainly because of the time constraints and dominance war goin on at the same time - figure less modelling and work overall - and its a centralized comp so its pretty straight forward - admittedly i wanted to do something more elaborate at first in a drew struzan style but ... tsk tsk tsk - not time. For the sketch - i just printed out my thumb onto white paper and used it as a guide to sketch over the top with vellum paper (i think thats how you spell it - basically tracing paper) and just normal pencils. Takes on a nice textural quality once you scan it in i must admit. Cheers

Old 23-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Adrock

Good Going So far Dude!!
Adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
atahan_zugul

Awards Showcase
AtomHawk Update

Got around to blocking out the concept for the Robot figure, its still got some detailing and cleanup to go, but i think most of the major forms are more or less where they should be. All Crits and Comments most welcome. Cheers Guys and Good Luck!

Adrock: Thanks man.

Old 31-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
atahan_zugul

Awards Showcase
AtomHawk Update

Just finished off the color work, the texture was roughed in - its not detailed - going absolutely realistic was never my intention - rather a more hyper real and stylized look was what i was after. Added the war paint to give the character some interest - without it he looked quite sparse and uninteresting. If i have time ill add some more accessories to him to give the character some more depth. All crits and comments would be much appreciated. Cheers Guys.

Old 31-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Blender-Man

O my GOOD awesome!!

I see ZBrush rules .
Blender-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
atahan_zugul

Awards Showcase
Update

Just a turnaround in case anyone was interested...

Blender-Man: Thanks man, yah zbrush is pretty awesome - mind you ended up having to troubleshoot the freakin new layers system. Suffice it to say NEVER 'bake layers' or use 'polypaint to texture' while one of the layers is in recording mode... grumble grumble... 2 hours of my life i wont be getting back... lol

Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
atahan_zugul

Awards Showcase
Update

Just spent an all nighter to get this model churned out - prolly went too far in detailing it - got today to texture it and should be able to churn out some renders of the whole thing soon... fingers crossed. All crits and comments most appreciated. Good luck to all.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
meowmeow
kittens go mew mew mew

im not quite sure what it is. im guessing some sort of shell. but that is one of the best things i ve seen to come out of z brush
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
atahan_zugul

Awards Showcase
Atomhawk Update

Finally got around to doing the comp - got a bit of way to go, but should be done hopefully soon. Pretty happy with how the alien guy turned out - cant complain... The initial studies i did have been a huge help - dont have to worry about composition or anything like that at this stage. Luck to all. All crits and comments most welcome.

meowmeow: Thanks dude.

Last edited by atahan_zugul; 11-04-2011 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: changed image