>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
oscarguindzberg

Will email and FTP become obsolete?

For the last 2 years I have been discussing with people how they get their work reviewed and approved when the reviewer is located in another office.

Most of the people mentioned meetings, phone, Skype, FTP, emails, custom software solution… they also mentioned lots of complains… difficult to arrange a time to meet with other people, no log of what has been said, feedback is not accurate, clients never know where to find the latest version, I don't have a things-to-fix list, too expensive, etc.

We have been working for the last few years on a solution (product name removed), an online proofing tool for images, videos and PDF files. Users can upload files and let others annotate them using built-in mark-up tool (whenever the other person is available).

I'd like hear what you guys think... Is online proofing going to be the next big thing in the "getting accurate feedback" problem or email and FTP won't surrender?

-----------------
Oscar Guindzberg

Last edited by Andy_k-3DT; 11-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: removing advertising
oscarguindzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
your system looks OK except for the bit about replacing email when you are using email to notify people

Will it work?

No, not for me because what you are offering, I can do now for free using ftp and email. My clients, many of whom insist on very restrictive NDA's would not even consider a third party handling images.

Good luck, but it seems to me you are not only attempting to re-invent the wheel but you are offering us one that is a slightly different shape
Andy_k-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
This sounds like spam Andy...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
oscarguindzberg

Hi DaddyDoom:
I see you are a senior member of the site, so I assume you know the rules better than me... What section of the forum would be good to start a discussion about online proofing?
Regards, Oscar.
----
Oscar Guindzberg

Last edited by Andy_k-3DT; 11-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: removing advertising
Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_k-3DT View Post
your system looks OK except for the bit about replacing email when you are using email to notify people

Will it work?

No, not for me because what you are offering, I can do now for free using ftp and email. My clients, many of whom insist on very restrictive NDA's would not even consider a third party handling images.

Good luck, but it seems to me you are not only attempting to re-invent the wheel but you are offering us one that is a slightly different shape
I completely and totally agree with all of this. Unless the service has a built-in notation editor (where the client can make notes and scribble on the images with their mouse), then this is adding a middle man and 85% of my clients would say no to using this service.

On an unrelated note, whom stole the 3DTotal logo from whom? http://www.3dar.com
Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarguindzberg View Post
Hi DaddyDoom:
I see you are a senior member of the site, so I assume you know the rules better than me... What section of the forum would be good to start a discussion about online proofing?
Regards, Oscar.
----
Oscar Guindzberg
http://www.creationflow.com
I hate sounding rude. That being said, we don't mind discussions. What you've done is advertised a product. You should talk to 3DTotal.com about buying a banner. Since you're not an established member of the site--supporting it with constructive feedback and artwork--monetary support in exchange for advertising is the appropriate way to go.

Peace.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I kind of ignored the advertising because it wasn't 'direct'. asking for opinions is one thing and (IMHO) that's what the OP did rather than spamming. above all, it is a service that I'm sure some of our members would be very keen to learn more about

How about the OP talks to Tom and offers a dozen or so full subscriptions to 3D Total users as competition prizes and or takes out a banner?

I'm sure that would make everybody feel a lot better - for the time being (as long as there is no blatant spamming) the thread can stay and hopefully the OP will discuss the thinking behind the idea rather than the product
Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Sales Pitch = Solicitation = SPAM...IMHO

The best way to legitimize it is to support the site.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
oscarguindzberg

Quote:
Will it work?

No, not for me because what you are offering, I can do now for free using ftp and email.
What your client can do for free is:
1) Call you because he haven't receive the email because his mail server blocked it because the attachment size was too big.
2) Receive the email on another mail account
3) Attachment - Save as…
4) Where do I save it?
5) Save it
6) Open the file
7) Close it because he openend it with the image viewer
8) argh... I am tired of this...
9) Open Paint
10) Open the file
11) Do a search on his inbox to find the previous versions you already sent him to check how the file you sent him differs from the previous versions
12) argh!! I can't find it
13) Do a search on his inbox/sent items to remember what he and other colleagues have said about the previous versions.
14) argh!! I can't find it
15) Add mark up notes in paint
16) Save
11) Reply to the email
12) Add comments on the email
13) Attach the file
14) Send the email

Online proofing:
1) Receive the email
2) Click on the link
3) See the image, previous versions, previous mark ups, previous comments and replies to comments
4) Click the pencil
5) Mark up (optional)
6) Write a comment
7) Save

Quote:
My clients, many of whom insist on very restrictive NDA's would not even consider a third party handling images.
Some of the available online proofing tools have an option to install the system on your own server.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
ok, how I deal with my clients.....

1, as soon as a project starts I give them a password protected ftp folder on my server and an email address with a 100mb attachment limit

2, any work we transfer is in agreed formats - tiff, jpg, psd etc

3, when they want to send me images they log on to the server and post them from their desktop - I monitor the folder automatically, as soon as anything is posted, I get an email notification with a link to download the file

4, I upload files to the server, as soon as they are in the client folder, they get an email notifying them

5, I also use the telephone a lot to discuss stuff

Works for me
Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
now, about offering a few licences for 3D Total users
Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
OK, I've had a couple of mails complaining about 'free advertising' so, I've edited out company and product names.

The discussion is good and I think the topic is relevant, please keep it as a discussion and the thread can stay open

Cheers

Andy
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
What the ****

what are you doing, no talking to spamers, you should know that.
MStandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
actually, I wasn't talking to a spammer - however you'll notice all the advertising has now gone

I saw a review of this product a few weeks ago and although I dismissed it, I thought it had some potential.

If it helps speed up one person's workflow, then it has to be worthwhile

If we hear nothing more from the OP, then we can just let the thread die a death
Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #15
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
I use Elance for freelancing. If someone contact me that I don't know, I tell them to use Elance. I mostly use it because I like the Escrow service. Everything else is secondary.

Tags
approval, feedback, online proofing, review