>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Animation & Rigging Help

Old 30-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
a.jenery

Question 3Ds Max. How do I set up the pivot points

This is something I'm working on, but I'm not exactly sure how I set up the 'pivot points' to be able to animate the forward landing gear and the turbines.

What I need to know is, how do I connect the forward landing gear strut to the pivot point in such a way that it is attached but at the same time allows me to rotate it. The idea is that, as the landing strut rotates backwards so the landing ski will rotate or pivot with it.

Same question for the vertical rotor which is in two halves. Do I attach the wing-half to the wing and then the turbine-half to the turbine, but then how do I connect the two halves; which command do I use :P

a.jenery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
insect

Put it very very simply: you link objects to objects that you want them to move with. "Select and link" command should be the first icon on the left of your main toolbar in max. You pick it, select the object you want, then drag onto an object you want it linked to.

You edit the position of the pivot of an object by going to Hierarchy panel (on the right of the interface) --> Pivot; then there's the button called Affect Pivot Only, then drag the pivot to where you want it to be, then disable the "affect pivot only". Now you can rotate this object around the new pivot.

Simplest solution here is to link the landing strut to the body of the plane, position the strut's pivot to its joint, then link the ski to the strut and position the ski's pivot to the joint between them.
insect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
a.jenery

Great, this is a great help. So, linking does a similar thing to attaching only it allows you to move the element as well? I think I get it. Linking the landing strut to the protrusion on the underside of the fuselage and then the ski to the strut is what I was thinking also, but wasn't sure. Thanks When it's working I'll post it up...
a.jenery is offline   Reply With Quote