>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 13-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Winner Of PMC #20 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
High Poly - Game Model - Zivko Edge 540

Hello.

Have been busy yet again working on my game art. folio! Next object in line is a vehicle of some kind, so i picked a Airplane. A Zivko Edge 540 (Redbull Air Race plane).

I have been rather lazy and instead of posting each "Progress shot" here and there on forums i have just combined all of them together and given you one stand alone high res render that in my mind i think is complete and read to be made into a Low Poly.

Hope you enjoy the model! and for all you hardcore nuts out there i realize that each panel isnt model, its due to i think i can get better results if i hand paint the segments for normal map transfer in Photoshop!

Comments and Crtis Welcome.

Attached Images

Last edited by AshtonWoolley; 14-05-2009 at 08:16 AM..
AshtonWoolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Winner Of PMC #20 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Update before i jump into low poly!

Softened Shaddows, Removed Turn table, FG, AO pass.

As always comments and crits welcome.

Old 14-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
No._12

Send a message via ICQ to No._12
Hey awesome, clean model and nice details! My only crit would be the propeller, itīs shape does not seem to be correct. Many stunt pilots use Whirlwind props, so propably you can get some references there (http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/).
Will follow that project and canīt wait to see it textured
No._12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
Hey No._12 thanks for the comment! thanks for the great references! the Propeller as twist on but not that much ill take a look into it.

Here is the low poly i just cut down.

Its about 10K - i could cut down more but seeing you would only see this plane in a game where it would be the only object other then scenery i think 10K is quite small, i find that alot of the gmaes that use the FSX Engine have 30K Triangle limits for there planes.

Anyway will start unwrapping the uvs for the next 4 - 5 hours and then post a screen as well as transfer the normal maps.

Enjoy.

Last edited by AshtonWoolley; 15-05-2009 at 07:28 AM..
Old 15-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
Just finshed uv mapping! started at about 8pm after dinner and just finshed 1am. - 5hrs, getting faster.

here is a update different view plus the uv map - just going to check over the model and start texturing.

Enjoy.

Old 15-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
Its now 4AM have been working for 13 hours! 12 hours if you minus dinner!

Thought i would put in the effort and reduce the poly count seeing it was getting rather high at 9952 - Shaved it down to - 7589! 2363 gained! if i could get the same looking normal map transfer and less polygons then why not right? So here is the last update before bed.

Tomorrow i might reduce some Unessential polygons tomorrow and start texturing

Enjoy!

Last edited by AshtonWoolley; 15-05-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Old 20-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
Sorry for the delay but i have had massive problems (as always) with normal map transfers.

Here is my understanding of what needs to be done for a smooth normal map bake.

1.Unwrap your Low Poly Mesh
2.Have one smoothing group - ie Soften all your edges.
3.I baked each objects normal maps separate and then combined them in photoshop and then normalize.
4.Attach to object.

Now i have heard of separating 90 degree (hard edges) in your uv texture editor but due to my whole mesh edges being soft i didn't think there was a need and i don't see the normal problems since i haven't done it so i think...its ok.

everything on the planes left side was baked and then duplicated in the -x axis to flip them. both sides of the hull have there own uvs.

im not quite sure what im doing wrong so i dont know how to approach the problem. im thinking of unwrapping the uvs all over again and starting from scratch here as some problem atic screens as well a uv texture screen shot and a normal map.

Old 25-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
Hello!

After my problem above i posted on several forums to see if i could get a solution! but much to my dismay of no replys i spent hours searching Google in what i thought might be the problem.

Fing the problem is with all your normals soften on hard surface object you will obtain weird light shading from surfaces trying to reenact the triangulation of those surfaces.

So i re organized all my uvs in which looks a lot better now and set all my edge normal to default and just separated the hard edges in my uv texture editor and baked all my normals again and got along with my texturing. Too awhile but needed to be done.

I have no completed texturing and have some images for your to crit and give me feedback on but i think i am mostly done with all the texturing.

The final model comes in at 6466 triangles and has a Diffuse,Specular,Transparency and normal maps at 2048x2048 would love some feedback.

I can think of a few things to alter such as work more on the glass for the cock pit make it a more greenish tinge but at a dead end to everything else.

Enjoy

Last edited by AshtonWoolley; 25-05-2009 at 02:47 PM..
Old 27-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Oniram

Send a message via AIM to Oniram Send a message via MSN to Oniram
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
as great as it does look, for a game model, dont you think that the polycount is a bit too high?
Oniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Robbert543
Mental Raytard

Send a message via MSN to Robbert543
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge 
Total Awards: 3
I don't think so at all..

I was at a Guerrilla Games presentation today..
they said KillZone2 vehicles were made up of about 100.000 polygons..
Old 28-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniram View Post
as great as it does look, for a game model, dont you think that the polycount is a bit too high?
Alot of game vehicles are quite low poly i do agree, yet with next gen engines its not rare at all to see polycounts go in to the high 40K Limits.

If you look at games like grand turismo for example they are rocking about 100K a car.

and as "Robbert543" said 100K Vehicle limits. well that seems outrages to me!
Old 29-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
BattlemasterXP

Very nice output!

the polycount is quite low, regarding polylimits for next-gen-engines like cryengine 2, frostbite, etc. etc.

Would love to see that model ingame, so please post some screengrabs when it's finished!

cheers,
Benjamin
BattlemasterXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
don't use more polys than you need....

that said - I think you could smooth out the mudguard things on the wheels some more and maybe around the intake thing behind the properller. They're the bits that stood out to me as being a bit too faceted. Don't quibble over a couple of hundred polys if your allowable count is in the thousands - todays hardware won't even blink, the damage to performance is done by shader effects.

that's a sweet job though, really decent stuff

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
Darkwater

Would like to buy...

I was wondering if you would consider selling this model.

It would them be used in a game demo to a prospective client.

You can contact me here:

sean@dark-water-studios.com

Thanks.
Darkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
Tingles

Hey man, good looking model. I would prefer to have the wings a little more like squares, but that involves more subdividing, and i think it's all pretty well optimized
Great texturing and shaders!
Tingles is offline   Reply With Quote