>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 2D, traditional art and photography gallery

Old 29-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie 
Total Awards: 4
Collection of Things (might contain some very mild nudity)

Hi all,

I have now gathered enough things that I thought it was time I opened up a thread to collect them all. These include a random collection of things, from finished, to quick sketches to work in progress. I use mainly Photoshop. I'm still trying to find my grounds in terms of style and theme. Hopefully with time I will develop them.

Comments are welcomed!

Zulu Witch Woman. My first attempt at Photoshop.

Winter. Which I posted here at some point already.
(A bit of making of: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=93473)
(Final Work: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=96094)

Castle in the Futute. This one was done as part of the online Workshop that 3D Total organized in January. Some things need tiding up, but its pretty much finished. We used google sketchup to define the 3D elements and then moved on to Photoshop.

Sea Creature. This one was submitted to the Sea Creature Challenge that 3D Total organized in February. It was quite fun.

The Crow. I have just submitted this one to the Fan Art Challenge. There are some good entries there. I will definitely keep participating in these challenges, its a great way to learn. Voting will start I guess tomorrow.

Here comes a collection of quick sketches. Seeing how some people manage to create things in just a few hours, when for most of the things you see up there I took days and days, I decided to give a go at trying to start and finish something in one evening. They are done in black and white, using simple colouring in some cases, and using only one brush to do the whole thing. Everything is done in one layer, except the background and a few details so that I can play with them. For some, I used photo references, others are a combination of photo references and my own. This is so far whats coming out.

Something unfinished which I should finish. An attempt at a manga character. The character Nina from the manga Monster.

Gateway. An attempt at something scifi. Drawing random shapes until this showed up

Series of Warrior Woman. I plan to make one of this portraits whenever I have the time.

Series of Woman Portraits (the backgrounds are not my own, but reference photos that I have altered). Again, I plan to make one of this portraits whenever I have the time.

I will keep posting whatever I do.
Attached Images

Last edited by ignacio197; 12-05-2012 at 06:04 PM..
ignacio197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie 
Here is another quick painting from yesterday.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Knight

Here goes something random.

I have been wanting to explore a bit more the use of shapes since I didn't know what they were, but looked useful. So I have been looking into first how to make them, and then how to use them. I have made about 10 of them, and I think I used all in the above image I have attached an example below.

This is how I made them. I selected a black and white dirt image from a library, played with it, like motion blur it, added more texture from other images and so on. I then defined different shapes over this image and cut out the rest. With the shape in its final form, I went to Select Color range and took a few colour samples from the image. With the selection active, I went to the Paths tab, and click Make Work Path from Selection (one of the icons at the bottom of the Paths tab) and saved it (Edit -> Define Custom Shape). The result is the kind of thing you see below, a shape with some texture.

To test these shapes, I decided to make a knight's helmet. To start, I set down simple shadows and highlights for the base, and over this base, I set all these shapes using different blending modes and shades. What you see here is what came out. I plan to do a few more of these using this set of shapes to see what happens.
Attached Images

Last edited by ignacio197; 04-05-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Knight Battle

Another quick painting using shapes. I choose two knights, a fallen one and one standing over him ready to deliver the final blow. Again, my main focus with this is to simply play and use shapes to make the image look more interesting. I have done a few more shapes, so now I have a big collection of them. I am not focusing too much on anything else. Below you can see the image at different stages of the process. In the first one, only rough values are set, and all the elements established. In the second one I started to lay lots of shapes a bit everywhere. In the third one I started with the basic colour, which is later altered with hues layers. And finally the fourth one shows the final image except for the final touch of blurring the knight which is standing over the fallen one with the sword. I think it gives it more depth if he is blurred.

Last edited by ignacio197; 17-05-2012 at 05:58 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Interesting color approach for the knight.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatwashka! Thank you:
ignacio197 (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Thanks washka.

I wanted to keep the colour as chaotic applied as the strokes used to create the base.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Landscape

This is an attempt at a landscape. Once again, I wanted to use shapes as much as possible. I didn't quite managed to get where I wanted with this image, and I am tired of it after two days staring at it. I still find landscapes complicated to get right. There are too many aspects to keep in mind, from perspective, to focal points, points of interest, light, colour mood, ......... I will have to keep trying .......

Last edited by ignacio197; 10-05-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
The Visitor

Another attempt at a landscape. This one I had been working on for a long time, but left it a few moths ago in an advance state without knowing how to finish it. I still don't know how to finish it , but I came back to it today to give it a clean up and post it here. Any suggestions or comments as to what else I could do to this will be welcome. Otherwise this is it

Old 13-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Face Study

A bit of a face study. This one I am going to develop further and turn it into a colour image next.

Last edited by ignacio197; 13-05-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Old 16-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Here is a quick paint over the previous image. I definitely need to spend more time doing colour studies ..........

Old 18-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Kitana
Serenity seeker

I would like to see more work on the lips here and maybe on the hair - just to look better
Old 21-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Yes, with the colour overlay I lost a lot of the details I originally had (not that I had that many, but more than seen in the colour version). I am still not sure what is the best way to pass from a grey-scale image to a colour one. I don't know if I have the strength to fix this one, I have moved to something else already I will be posting more soon.
Old 21-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Kitana
Serenity seeker

Try the brush in "color" mode. And paint over the gray-scale image.
Old 22-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
I do Actually, is not the brush I use (maybe there is a difference). What I do is first make the grey scale image in one layer. I find it easier to establish values that way. Next I use layers in color and overlay mode over it. What I find is that overlay darkens too much some areas, and color washes out the details and always keeps a tint of grey underneath (at least that what it feels to me). Which means, I have to start again thinking about values when applying color, which I don't want to do and is why I started in the first place with grey scale. So I go around in circles I found a chapter in the Beginner Guide to Digital Painting (by 3DTotal) that deals exactly with how to apply colour to a grey scale image. But the tutorial does not really talk about the technique as much as I would have wanted, so I did not get anything out of it. If any one knows about a good tutorial dealing with this, I will appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
The Founder

A couple of weeks ago I joint the ImagineFX Art Challenge, The Founder (which is over now). The title was a bit broad, so it was not clear where to head with this one. I decided to make a woman with a dress having an earthly texture. In fact, the dress was supposed to be part of the Earth itself. She was suppose to be walking around, dragging this earth like mantle and stirring life in the process. Its stretching a bit the title, The Founder, but I wanted to make this image anyhow. Here is the end result.

For the dress, I made a custom shape set. I ended up using about 50 shapes to make the dress you see in the other image. Using the warp and transform tools I carefully put them with the right perspective and gave them the right shape to follow the body contour. I wanted this dress only to define the shape of the woman, I was not planning in painting the whole body underneath later on.

You can see a few other images of the process here.

Last edited by ignacio197; 10-06-2012 at 09:31 PM..