>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge

Old 20-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Photo Modelling Challenge #36 - Apple iPhone 5C

Each week or two myself or 3D Total's photo resource will provide a set of photo's to model from.

Each challenge we would like all who participate to model from the same references to learn, improve or showcase your ability in modelling from a photo set.

In my version of this challenge there are no limits to how many tris/quads you wish to use, but I would like to see you all try to match the photo as closely as possible in size & shape aswell as texturing too.

The Rules

Please post your wires, clays, & any texture sheets and final renders in this thread, wip and on topic chat is also fine here too, these challenges are supposed to be fun and we are not too strict on the rules.

The Prizes

The only prizes are a gold, silver and bronze awards dictated by these lovely little icons

Deadline Date: Friday 10.00pm GMT 4th July 2014

Deadline Timer

This Weeks Challenge:

In this challenge i'd like to see you attempt to model an Apple iPhone 5C

Reference Pictures

Reference Pictures Archive (About 4MB)
Attached Images

Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
svinkels

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place In SMC #91 
Total Awards: 1
Hey there, my WIP on this model

svinkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
electro

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd place in a photo modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in a speed modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Honourable mention in the speed modelling challenge #97 
Total Awards: 4
Here is my entry
Attached Images

electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
superb models already
Twitter
Old 28-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
This is where im at, still not finished or happy with it. And let's not even talk about my wires, they are a complete mess, and that's why im not posting all of them just yet, the model is worth way better mesh topology than what I can present at the moment.

Don't consider this a entry as of yet, I will post one that we can call an finished entry in due time.
Attached Images

Old 28-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
electro

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd place in a photo modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in a speed modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Honourable mention in the speed modelling challenge #97 
With all of the holes and buttons, it's extremely difficult to make an all-quad mesh that isn't a bit messy.
Old 28-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Messy might not be the right word. It's more that I want to clean up some bits, remove excess edges and stuff like that
Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
ish

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Winner of a photo modeling challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd place in a photo modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC #88 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Honorable mention in a speed modeling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
good job all,
electro: really good timing
svinkels: hope to see you add some reflections and finish it
mstandar: as long as it looks good, I think it is ok

mine took 3 half days, i wasnt satisfied with the materials&reflections but i think it looks good to go:
Attached Images

Last edited by ish; 05-07-2014 at 08:11 AM..
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatish! Thank you:
electro (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Great to see such well made entries so far.

I'm afraid there won't be a new challenge this week as my girlfriend's suffered a death in the family and I need to be there for her, if anything changes and I get chance I will of course try my best to create a new challenge for you but I thought i'd give you all a heads up just in case.
Twitter
Old 04-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Don't worry about the challenges Johnny.

Im working on my final beauty shots right now, will have it up later in the evening.

Here are my final entry. Don't know how many hours i have spent on this one, no idea actually.
It was a fun and somewhat hard one, im not that happy with the mesh, im sure it could be optimized alot, but I had to collapse down some turbosmooth modifers to get a higher res mesh.
Attached Images

Last edited by MStandar; 04-07-2014 at 08:09 PM..
MStandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
electro

Awards Showcase
Any new challenges this month? Or SMCs?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Huge apologies everyone, I will try to return with challenges very very soon.

Unfortunately at the moment real life has invaded, my girlfriend experienced a death in the family, and I needed to be there for her, then we had a short holiday together then last week I lost my Auntie to a massive stroke and have to sort things out this & next week for the funeral on Tuesday...... on top of that i've got a foot ulcer which is a problem for me mobility wise....

I have got challenges nearly ready and will try to get them up this weekend all being well..... at the very very latest they'll be up next week.

I thank you for your patience.
Twitter
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
new challenge
Twitter
Old 13-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #14
electro

Awards Showcase
Results for the last challenge?
Old 13-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
1st Place - MStandar

2nd Place - ish

3rd Place - electro
Twitter
GreatClassicGamer-3DT! Thank you:
electro (14-09-2014)