>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Animation & Rigging Help

Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Ho4uK

Flying body parts animation after the explosion

Hello!
I'm here for advice. I created the attack animation for the game. Kamikaze's dynamites explode after he drinks blood of the victim. I created two rigs with different geometries.
1. solid rig with solid geometry for animation before the explosion
2. detachable rig with detachable geometry for animation after the explosion
At the right moment 2 rig replace 1 rig.
Here a question: how create a realistic flying body parts animation after the explosion? And how to make it fast and simple?

Here the attack animation we talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmhepCLq0Q

I have tried Maya ragdoll:
created collision geometry
hinge constrained them
constrained controls to collision geometry
and tested this simulation. To buggy. Geometry can't to calm down, constantly moving.
Here the video:
https://youtu.be/EjWcel3EAzk

I tried to use Maya bullet ragdoll. Too complicated for this complex skeleton.

I can make video of my rig, if you need it.

Thank you for your attention.
Ho4uK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
insect

It's either mess with the simulation settings until you get what you need, or animate it by hand.

But hold on. Shouldn't the physics of parts flying around be handled in the engine? If you animate and bake the explosion of parts flying far - you have to have in mind that's the exact animation that will play under all circumstances, which is probably not what you want when you have walls or other objects near, since the animation will outright ignore them.

Ideally, this is what you'd discuss with the developers; how do they want it done? Baked animation or ragdoll in engine? Most devs would probably ask you to avoid the whole headache if possible, for example by destroying most parts, hiding everything behind an explosion effect and animating a few parts flying upwards and landing not far away from the center - that way it would cause less problems.
insect is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatinsect! Thank you:
Ho4uK (29-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Ho4uK

Quote:
Originally Posted by insect View Post
It's either mess with the simulation settings until you get what you need, or animate it by hand.

But hold on. Shouldn't the physics of parts flying around be handled in the engine? If you animate and bake the explosion of parts flying far - you have to have in mind that's the exact animation that will play under all circumstances, which is probably not what you want when you have walls or other objects near, since the animation will outright ignore them.

Ideally, this is what you'd discuss with the developers; how do they want it done? Baked animation or ragdoll in engine? Most devs would probably ask you to avoid the whole headache if possible, for example by destroying most parts, hiding everything behind an explosion effect and animating a few parts flying upwards and landing not far away from the center - that way it would cause less problems.
Thank you for your reply.
Its test animation for job vacancy. I need to show what I can made. So, I don't have access to the game engine physics. And I want to use this animation in my demo reel.
I thought to make flying animation of body parts by hand and in the middle of the flying animation make them dissapear like a dust.
Ho4uK is offline   Reply With Quote