>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 2D, traditional art and photography gallery

Old 19-04-2005, 03:18 AM   #1
Josiah
Aka: Joser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 5
Cool Josiah's collection of stuff-

hey here are some of my art. it is from a while ago and before i started using the computer to color them.....
well, as you can see there are alot of fantasy type stuff, but hey that is what i like doing.......
so give me some crits. i know that you guys probably wont like them, but what the heck! i will post them anyways
so enjoy (or not)
Attached Images

---------------------------
----------------------------------
-----------------------------------------
omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Yeah. It says in the Bible to only judge an opinion by its production value.
I'm shutting it down. Like some kinda...thread stopping ninja.

Last edited by Josiah; 16-06-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 03:21 AM   #2
Josiah

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
here is -Malvolence Altus-
i kind of like this guy....................................

omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Old 19-04-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
Josiah

Awards Showcase
buffalo man.........................(im not done w/ him yet)

omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Old 19-04-2005, 04:27 AM   #4
Josiah

Awards Showcase
-demon-

omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Old 19-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
Josiah

Awards Showcase
critz people, i need critz......................

omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Old 19-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
RickStefani
delinquent account

Not bad. I know you are going for a cell shaded look so the flat colors are OK. The biggest problem I see is the static poses. The shoulders and hips are all straight across. I think a great reference book to look into drawing comic style charactures is by Burne Hogarth and the title is DYNAMIC FIGURE DRAWING. It is great in getting action to the posses and the book as a paper back is not that much money Since we are all starving artists. Forshortening is your friend and it is very tricky. The problem with the demon is that one wing should be tilted back and away so you would only get a sliver of it while the one coming toward you will be much more elongated as you have it now. Practice, practice practice.
Old 19-04-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
Josiah

Awards Showcase
hey thanks rick for the crits........and yeah i know that my foreshortening is bad. i really need to work on it. and thanks for the book title, i am going to the library tomorrow and i will see if they have it...............if not i will buy it

omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Old 19-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #8
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
I would say the buffallo man is your best. Try to do more with them than cell shading because its obviouse you really sweat over the line-art. In your first post, there's something wrong with the back perspective and the back leg is not positioned corectly. In the second - the malevolent guy - all that unbalances the drawing are the inner spikes. I already can hear him always crying "ouch" and mumble some curses.
The demon guy seems to almost fall appart and the wings are uneven. Its obviouse you have great imagination and potential, all you need is some more anatomy books and a lot more work.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 10:54 PM   #9
Josiah

Awards Showcase
hey thanx avatar....
yeah, i do spend alot of time doing my cell shading. right now it is the look that i like the best. but i will try to work on other shading. i have tried to shade using different colors. but they turn out sooooooo crappy.........
but i will work on it....

ps-and about the malvolence guy...........lol....(i just thought it looked cool)

omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Old 20-04-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
Josiah

Awards Showcase
here's another...................

omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Old 20-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
RickStefani
delinquent account

I see some growth. Try this for practice and I am sure it seems dumb but it will help. Draw your demon in this pose. Work from simple shapes. Work it from general to specific. Do not bog down in any one area until the whole thing is blocked out. This image has a bit of overlap and foreshortening. If you can get this down it will help a lot.
Old 20-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
RickStefani
delinquent account

Use the picture as a reference. Look at the angle of the feet and the knees. Do the same for the sholders and hands. Print it nd draw contruction lines on top of the print if it helps.
Old 20-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
Josiah

Awards Showcase
hey rick, thanx alot..... i will get working on that as soon as i have a chance.

cool pic as well

ps- do mean my demon or that yellow guy??

omfg ps3 is teh w1n

Old 20-04-2005, 10:50 PM   #14
RickStefani
delinquent account

either one, I like the orange guy. Here is a hint. Think of his head as a tapered cylinder and the jaw muscles like spheres. The horns are cones. You go back later ones the whole body is layed out and add the curves and detail. Use the construction liines as a guide to place things like eyes and nostrals. This is a rough sketch showing what I mean. It helps givve you the idea of the thing as a 3D object.
Old 20-04-2005, 11:36 PM   #15
Dridon
formerly known as IceQube

Man very nice stuff I really like it. Keep m coming
Dridon is offline   Reply With Quote