>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'

Old 15-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #46
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Smile thanx...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage_Inc. View Post
...To make your normal map, your low poly target should be the next subD down from your highest res model in Zbrush. Then plug that normal map in your bump channel and voila, nice creases and high frequency detail.
hey Damage_Inc...that seems a nice process to try out....but i'm a bit confused at the process that u've mentioned above to make the normal map and how to use that in either in maya or max....it would be great if u can explain that with a little step by step process...and BTW, the highest level for this model in zbrush is 6...!!!

since now i'm extraxcting my normal map from the lowest level or a 2nd level mesh in zbrush and using it again on a lowest level or 2nd level mesh exported from zbrush respectively along with a displacement map....

thanx again...!!!
dhruvsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #47
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Smile

got this model out of the closet again and did some texturing and shading in maya....texturing is done by mixing the exported color paint as texture from zbrush with some photorefrences in photoshop and then fixed the seams in bodypaint...i'm using MRsss skin shader in maya...so maps used r, a color map in the overall and the epidermal channels, a normal map as bump, a grey scale map for the backscatter weight and a specular map with 2 layers of different specular settings mixing blin shaders on top of the skin shader with mix20 layered shader on a mid level mesh exported from zbrush as i was avoiding the use of displacement map...!!!...cigar texture is till wip, and the tattoo is borrowed from the net...

C&C are kindly welcome....

cheers...!!!
Old 30-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #48
parleee
Canadian, eh?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: roducing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 4
The model is awesome, 5*. The texturing is good as well, but I think it's got few issues. From the front, I think it looks a little washed out, and a little faded. Also, I personally think the spec is a little too high.

Other than that, awesome.
parleee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #49
AtomAnt

The face is coming across a little waxy, otherwise its awesome.
AtomAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #50
Yoshi

Ive been checking out your wips for a while now and i have to say, amazing work! ;D
I especially like this one, but if there is something that doesn't really fit, its the Tattoo,
but I guess you was just playing around with that one. Anyway, keep it up! ^^
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #51
Thrillhouse900

Too much backlight!!!

otherwise though, fantastic work
Thrillhouse900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #52
jeremiah_bigley
Modeler

Awards Showcase
oh wow! That is really awesome! I really like the style of the character as well as the sculpting done! Though I think some of the sculpting is lost with the texture. He may be a bit too shiney.
jeremiah_bigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #53
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile thanx a lot!!!

hey parleee...thanks for ur kind words and critiques!!!...the texture was indeed a bit faded, not that sharped...i tried to sharpen it with this current set of renders...also u r right about the high intesity of specular...

hey AtomAnt...thanks to u too...IMO, because of the little higher specular, the face is looking waxy...i tried to softned that out now!!!

hey Yoshi...thanx for ur visit and the kind words!!!...about the tattoo, i wanted some kind of a tribal tattoo, to break the regularity of the big trapezius muscle...still wip...so i may change that too...!!!

hey Thrillhouse900...thanx to u too...!!!...backlight has been reduced now...!!!

hey Jeremiah_Bigley...thanx for dropping by and ur kind words...!!!...i think the highest level of detail that i got in zbrush is somewhat lost when i'm trying to render with MRsss Skin shader in maya with a normal map bump with the textures due to the soft nature of the shader....

here's a small update with a litle more sharp texture, i've added a very subtle layer of the dirt map generated from zbrush on top of the color map for some sharp details which was looking faded initially...also aded the same map on the subdermal layer.....did some quick procedural texturing also on the cigar...corrected the reflection of the eyes....

C&C are kindly welcome...!!!

cheers...!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #54
nibbled
Mark Clarence

hey dhruvsm...texture on this model is looking much better now, doesn't look as waxy as before, also the light from the cigar makes the model look a lot more complete, keep up the good work!
nibbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #55
jeremiah_bigley
Modeler

Awards Showcase
Ohhhh looking better! But I think the last thing that would really make this scene would be if you had light from the cigar on his face... Like a bright orange. That intence white under the brow line would then be justified... So if it were, instead of a back light make it the light from the cigar...

Then I would have nothing else to say :P
jeremiah_bigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #56
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Very awesome. I've been experimenting with using normal maps instead of displacement maps as well. Think I might have some info that will help you get all that detail from the alpha brushes. From what I've found, normal maps are great for getting the larger details and volume, but need help with the smaller details. Here's what you can try:

- Generate a cavity map with Zmapper and plug it into the diffuse value of the SSS shader. You'll probably have to do some tweaking but it should give a little more depth. A cavity map is a must if you use SSS because the shader tends to wash out the details.

- Generate something like a 4k (or higher) displacement map from 1 level below the highest level. Use that as your bump map. I find a standard bump works much better for the smaller details + is easy to tweak inside maya. To layer the bump map on top of the normal map you need to create a network like this:

(notice how the normal map goes into the bump map)

Problem is when you load the connection editor there is no normal camera node! Don't worry...

Finally, on the last bump node connect the outNormal to the NormalCamera of your SSS shader.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 06-12-2007 at 03:21 AM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #57
lashy
I'm here to Learn !!

hey dhruvsm, i love your work, where r u from in india, do u work somewhere ?
im from delhi
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #58
ptacnik
Crazy Man

i like where you are going with this guy. I think the jaw line could be defined a bit more though.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #59
ptacnik
Crazy Man

after seeing it with skin i think the jaw line looks great! your skin is looking really great as well!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #60
AtomAnt

Hi dhruvsm, it seems like your cool colored light is shining through the model from the back. You may have more than one set up which would make sense and if so it isn't a problem. If it is coming through just one cool colored light from behind him you wouldn't see it lighting the lip, nose and eyes like it does. It is as if your model isn't absorbing the light, but letting it pass all the way through to the other side of the model where the lights catch areas to reflect off that they shouldn't.

I hope that made sense, haha. Lemme know if you still don't know what I am talking about.
AtomAnt is offline   Reply With Quote