>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 01-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
lazy6pyro

Gothic Bath

I've been working one a bath scene witht he gothic style for most of the summer now. The aim of this project was to improve modeling and lighting techniques, as well as attempt to learn the Mental Ray engine. (This is being the first time I've even looked at MR, let alone attempted to render with it). I still am not pleased witht the lighting and a bit of the composition, so I'll still be tweaking. C&C is completely welcome, although criticisms about the lighting will be the most beneficial.
lazy6pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Rip_shot
Lighting Artist

looks pretty cool but the water texture bothers me abit and the window has a sort of picture feel to it instead of feeling like an actual window (I've had this problem with windows aswell, no clue how to fix it)
Rip_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
Duality
Mr. "Never give up"

Send a message via Yahoo to Duality
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
The left arch seems too low-poly. Tweak it up a bit.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #4
TheCheshireCat
3D Fantasy Artist

Send a message via ICQ to TheCheshireCat Send a message via MSN to TheCheshireCat
It looks good, I like the water and the red silk.
Theres a silk vertex hidden inside the first stair, by the way.
Also the spiderweb should appear smoother, and things could look more realistic by making them imperfect. (Adding dents etc.)
Also in the window you could model a tree branch or something and make it look close, that way the outside would look like a 3d world and not a picture.

Keep it up!
TheCheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
lazy6pyro

Thanks for the comments. I do believe adding some foilage outside of the window can hopefully make it appear more windowish. A bit of volume light comming from the moon might help aswell.

On the water, hopefully I can make it look a bit better with caustics...that is if MR will cooperate.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
lashy
I'm here to Learn !!

i like it, very nice lighting
Old 02-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
lazy6pyro

Hmmph....I'm running into some problems with the caustics on the water. I have set the water to generate caustics, and it works fine with the lights without any obstructions. However (using the mr area omni for the candles) when I unhide the candles to produce a better, more real effect, I get the "no photons stored after emitting 10000 photons". As I have read that it is a bounce problem, I have added a sphere with flipped normals to catch any photons. I still, however, have the same warning then error. I have also been bouncing the max radius anywhere from 1-100 with no luck. Any suggestions on what might be happening?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
lazy6pyro

A bit of an update:
After nearly pulling my hair out attempting to get the caustics to work, I have given up on that. ****** green splotches!

Other than that, I have totally reworked the water texture, rebuilt a couple of features, and tweaked the lighting a bit (although I'm not totally happy with it because it seems too dark in places). As always C&C welcome.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
Sir_David_P

is it me or is that silk goin through the stairs...water needs some work on texture aswell the stairs need some good texturing but other then that it's exceptionally well done
Sir_David_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
lazy6pyro

I just got moved in and settled into Purdue University, so I'm back on track (for now ).

Here's a bit of an update. I'm still not competely satisfied with the water. Any suggestions on how to improve the look of it?