>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'

Old 30-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Smile the roman soldier

hi everybody...!!!...a couple of days ago i've started to work on a new character model....the roman soldier....the character is pretty stylised and inspired by the artworks of great illustrator and concept artist ryan woodward ...

this is going to be a completely poly modeling project, so no zbrush or mudbox...

more details remaining on hands, feets and face, some ngons are there which will b cleaned up later on....and also ignore the central seam edge, as the two sides r yet not connected for symmetrical reason...

here are some of the images of the last renders...still in wip...so all kind of suggetions, comments, critiques, references, paintovers are very much welcome...!!!

cheers...!!!

btw, sorry for the censorship!!!...first, i dont want to put a nudity tag on the thread title and then www.photobucket.com doesn't support any kind of nudity...and anyway, this model is going to have some sort of accessories, armours and clothing on top, at a later stage...!!!
dhruvsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Rickdedick

Looks very nice like almost monkey/comic like :P

Anyways seen ur work and u prolly know this but i say it anyways

U used symmetry and now u got a big fat line in the middle :P get rid of that :P
Rickdedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Smile updates!!!

hey Rickdedick...thanx for dropping by and ur kind words.....i'm a bit lazy actually to join that seam again and again, as i'm still comtinuing with symmetry, hope to get rid of that on the next update...!!!

here's a little update with the leg gaurd and the helmet....wip...

C&C are very much welcome...!!!

cheers...!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
DennisVR

very cool! love the stylized/comic style
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Junior3D

Thumbs up

Another really cool character from you!! You got a new fan!
Keep it up!
Junior3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
raghavan

Hey dhruvsm, Model is coming out nice. Nice concept too. Waiting for the updates !!!.....
raghavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Damage_Inc.

Nice work, man. I'd soften up the features of the nose a bit, but otherwise, good stuff. Where's his armor? : )
Damage_Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile update...!!!

hey DennisVR...great that u r liking it!!!...thanx for ur visit...!!!

hey Junior3D...thanx to u too, inspiring...!!!

hey raghavan...thanx for dropiing by and ur kind words....here comes the update!!

hey Damage_Inc....great to hear from u!!!...u mean to say the central line of the nose or...??!!..will be adding the armours next...!!!

here's a little update with a bit of his dressing....!!!

C&Cs are very much welcome...!!!

cheers...!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile update...!!!

hmm....so another small update before i go to sleep tonight...

part of the metal jacket wip......

C&Cs are very much welcome...!!!

cheers...!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
PHE Ash

wow it really has that asterix and obelix feel. I am looking forward to see him textured.
the only thing I do not like that much is his belly button. it is too spherelike. maybe after you ve done some asymetrical modeling on the body this changes. It could be more interessting (as it is a part of him to be shown through his armor, i think its important to make it look funny)
great style
PHE Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile updates!!!

hey PHE Ash...thanx a lot for ur visit and ur kind words...!!! though i never thought before or while starting the model intially, it came to my mind also that he has a asterix and obelix kind of feeling though they r much fleshy in comparision to this boney character apart from his tummy!!!...and i'm also not that happy about that belly button...hmm...i'd need workout something different for that...

anyway, here's some updates...!!!...modeled the double edged small sword, metal tip spear...did some detailing on his metal jacket and also detailed out the helmet which is more or less finish IMO....i'm trying to follow the same styles for the spear and the sword, like the larger than usual metal tip and grip and with thin stick...

Comments & Critiques are very much welcome....!!!

and the helmet...

cheers...!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
PHE Ash

hehe I meant the romans in the asterix comicbook. the legs are superb!!
look at the comic roman posted on the 3dtotal frontpage. he did something to the foot that amazed me. maybe you could do that too. i mean that the shoe has a curve form. it just feels very nice as if that character has been on a long march.
your feet could be a bit broader. can you post a close from the hands?
where did you get the references for your helmet? it looks cool but i like the drawn one in your pictures better. maybe you could have a go at that one?
please keep going on him i want to see him animated! (just started at animationmentor.com and am very enthusiastic about animation :-) )
PHE Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
jeremiah_bigley
Modeler

Awards Showcase
oohhh that helmet looks nice!
jeremiah_bigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile thanx...!!!

hey PHE Ash...thanx for ur kind comments again...!!!...and that frontpage roman is really cool!!! u r quite right about the curve of the shoes...hmm...i think i would give that a second thought and give that a try!!!

i googled some images for the helmet...though they r slightly different from each other i thought of working on this design....!!!...i'll later try on the other one too!!!

even i'd like to see this get animated after finishing the modeling and texturing part...but i'm not a good rigger, so i might need somebodys help to rig this model and yah, i've tried to model this mesh as completely rigger friendly and animatable way, so even i'm exicted to see him moving!!!

BTW...all the best with ur term with www.aminationmentor.com , i've heard their way of teaching is quite cool!!!..so get going!!!

hey Jeremiah_Bigley...thanx for ur visit and kind words too!!!

here's some updates...added some detailing to his shoes, leg gaurds, to the metal jacket and hands, modeled the teeth, tongue,..... i'm almost done with the modelling part from my side as next, i want to move to texturing as soon as possible!!!...may be i'll tweak some here and there and give the feet and the shoes some more try....

Comments & Critiques are still and again very much welcome to improve this more...!!!

and here are some of the helmets that i googled and took reference from...

this time, the renders are a bit bigger but needed to show the details...i hope they will load without any problem....!!!

cheers...!!!
Old 14-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #15
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile update...!!!

more updates...i worked some more on his feet.....made them broader, made the shoes longer and gave that curve.....

closeup of the feets and hand...

and the back view...

cheers...!!!