>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 2D, traditional art and photography gallery

Old 03-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
horseman

Jesus wept - art in pencil and painted digitally

I painted this, but ended up liking my pencil drawing better. But I think some my linework is too bold. What say you? As well as listening to music, you can see the painted version here (christian site):

www.jesusweptart.blogspot.com

Thanks
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Honki
if you're horni

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: For creating his wonderful  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
It's a nice drawing.
Jesus was a black man though.

Honki's helpful thread of uselessness.

something wrongI think
Honki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
Its an awsome piece of art. The penciling is awsome aldo indeed, the outline is kindda distracting. Jesus seems a bit too old I think (this man looks like a 40 and some years old) but thats just a technicality. In the penciled version the tears are ok. The colored version made them look more like scars than tears since they should be more specular I think. I would like to see more of your work. Keep on going.

And I don't wanna start a debate but my little devil keeps poking me over the shoulder so, just to state a fact: jewish people aren't black. And Jesus was jewish, no?
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
horseman

Jesus - looked like a Kurd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honki View Post
It's a nice drawing.
Jesus was a black man though.

Political correctness has made it such that people mostly avoid opposing a view that is pushed by people of afro-centrist historical /religious thought. Such unchecked views have influenced the mainstream. And I guess this directly depends on your individual definition of “black man” (people define that in different ways). I have done a lot of research in this matter and began with the premise that I would depict Christ in whatever manner the evidence suggests. I embarked upon this endeavor because of criticism that I received about some of my early art – where Christ looked European. At the conclusion of my research I could not depict Christ as a “black man”, in terms of how I define that term (that is, someone that has black skin and of the Negroid race).

Indeed, as mentioned in the prior post, Jesus was a “Jew” (of the tribe of Judah). Jews descended from a certain stock of people in Northern Mesopotamia, as did the Armenians and Kurds. In fact, geneticists indicate that the DNA of Armenians and Kurds is most like that of the ancient Israelite. This makes sense – Abraham, father of the Israelites, came from that region (Northern Mesopotamia) and migrated to the area of modern day Israel. I could go on and on about these little details.

But, I will just mention the details that were most convincing to me: I researched "Egyptian Jews". Why? The Jewish Community that was thrown out of Egypt in the 50's and 60's (after Israel was declared a nation in 1948) was among the oldest in the world. That community had been in Alexandria, Egypt since the Greco-Roman period of Egypt (beginning hundreds of years before Christ). They have genealogies that go way back. I even found very old photos of Jewish families and school children of Jewish schools - and they are not black by my definition. You can also research the ancient community of Jews that were in Iraq (Babylon) and reach the same conclusion (and they have photos as well). And the genealogies of these Jewish families stretch back long before the time of the alleged hijacking of the race by Khazars. These particular bloodlines have been kept Jewish - so their photos show the same faces as their ancestors.

I will not argue about this. It should not matter. I think he was the Messiah, whether he was a black as Michael Jordan or white as Larry Byrd – but he was likely somewhere in between.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Hehehe horseman, I don't think Honki or I meant to start any debate at this scale. As you mentioned, what color was Jesus has no relevance over his messege. Seems like you did a lot of research for this 'tho and I won't dare imagine what kind of research would you undergo for a more complex drawing/painting. But research and referencing are the marks of a passionate artist and I can only salute your dedication.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

www.avatarart.com
Old 06-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Androgs
Digital Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
the pencil drawing is beautiful..thumbs up
Androgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
R.Kamal

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Beautiful work, I really like the pencil drawing more.Like avatar said Jesus is more younger.In this pic he looks like he is in mid 40's.Apart from that this is a very good work!
Old 25-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
horseman

Jesus wept.

Thanks all. I have more art. Here is a sample of a three part work of sequential art that I made.

If you are interested, part 1 starts here:

www.temptthemessiah-part1.blogspot.com

Thanks
Old 25-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #9
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Pretty cool. A bible comics; must admit, not something somebody can see every day. Great art in it and very nice work around the subjects and ideeas. Do you use models on these?

www.avatarart.com
Old 25-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #10
wintermute
just a box in a cage

My mind is so scattered. I meant to comment on the original piece when you posted it and I never did. Anyway, it is topnotch work.

One small criticism that is purely opinion based, I think he looks a little too much like the traditional European Jesus that I was assaulted with at Catholic school. You have clearly done your homework as to Jesus' appearance so I don't really understand this. I feel he should look more Middle Eastern/Arabic. This might simply be due to the fact that you image is black and white.

I can't connect to either of the links you posted due to the "Great Firewall of China". Maybe if I could see some more images (and color) I'd change my mind.

All that being said it is still a very soulful image (the b&w one). I really get the feeling you were inspired by your faith to create it. I'd like to see more.
Splash
Not So Splashy
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #11
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
Nice work dude. Though I'm agnostic, I always love to see Art whatever the subject may be, and this is surely a nice piece.

wintermute > China actually has a firewall that blocks out certain links? Or it just blocks all links?...

Ugga!
DD
Old 25-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
horseman

Jesus wept - and an artist's view of ethnicity of Christ

Avatar-3DT, the answer is “yes”, I indeed use models. I had friends pose for me while I did a photo shoot and used that for the reference in making the comic, TEMPT THE MESSIAH. The backgrounds are often photo based – as you should readily notice with the Holy City in part two. I liked the bold line, perhaps being influenced by art of Eastern Orthodoxy and stain glass window art.

Wow, Wintermute. What you have said brings a whole new meaning to the Great Wall of China. I will dedicate this post to you, and all my fellow human beings in China. Indeed, Jesus, the subject of my work, looks European. It is not a racial statement. My subjects look the way they do primarily due to my reference. Take this Jesus wept art. I intended to use the Kurds and Armenian peoples as reference. Geneticists say that their DNA is most similar to the ancient Israelite, thereby Jesus (as mentioned in previous post). Even if I darken the hair and skin, like the picture below, he still looks European – I think because of his deep-set eyes, which is a European trait.

It just comes out that way. We draw/paint according to the references in our mind – that is, how we understand eyes, nose, lips, facial structure, etc. are suppose to look. It is difficult to step outside of this tendency.

Here is a more authentic looking Jesus, or Yeshua. I used the face of an Armenian actor as reference, and strictly went by it. This depiction seems more authentic to me. I give him green eyes and a “ruddy” (reddish) tint in the hair for a reason. This is an artistic expression of the scripture that relates to our belief that the Messiah came from the line of King David – who was described has having beautiful eyes and a “ruddy” look. Sometimes artists use blue to express beautiful eyes. So, you see it is not a racial statement.

But in this picture, if I make the features darker the subject looks Middle Eastern, as we understand it today. Why? You have to consider more than just how dark the skin and hair is. Our ethnic look is the sum of many small variations. To me, this picture below looks like a Middle Eastern person of Jewish decent. Perhaps he could even pass for an Ethiopian of Jewish decent.

However, I prefer to use lighter hair with a reddish tint, like the one below (WITH JEWISH SIDE LOCKS, WHICH I THINK ARE COOL!). I say I prefer this because of the scriptures about King David. But maybe I am just justifying my choices and trying to make Christ… look more like me. Everybody does it. I guess that is OK.

Thanks,

KYRIE ELEISON

P.S. Satan looking like an asian lady is also not a racial statement (I wish the Chinese to know). Again, it is merely a matter of reference. My wife, who is asian, was my reference model for Satan.

Last edited by horseman; 25-03-2008 at 07:55 PM..
Old 25-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Lol horseman, using your wife as a Satan reference? Is that some subconsciouse association? Beautifull and evil Just kidding. I think the entire comic is well structured and working with reference is a prudent aproach. Personally never cared if Jesus was of divine origin. His messege was always what counted. But your perspective of viewing and presenting the scriptures ( which I hope is a long term project because looks pretty cool) is an interesting aproach. Keep it up and keep posting.

www.avatarart.com
Old 25-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
I will not argue about this. It should not matter. I think he was the Messiah, whether he was a black as Michael Jordan or white as Larry Byrd – but he was likely somewhere in between.
I think Honki's statement was drawing reference to the now infamous speech given by Barack Obama's pastor, in which he constantly says, "Jesus was a black man."

Here's a link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHc
Old 25-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar-3DT View Post
Personally never cared if Jesus was of divine origin. His messege was always what counted.
hehehe That's funny. Ask a Christian, and they'll tell you it was his divine origin that counted.