>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 26-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
MartinP2
Worldmaker

Send a message via MSN to MartinP2
The Aircobra

Well I started to work on this about a month ago but the learning and work gave me a little time...now that i have some more free time I want to finish this plane...I know that there will be some more vertex tweaking I'll do that but mainly the modelling is about 95% so I'll go to the details and then make my first "real" texturing...of course i like to model it to work like you can see on the first landing gear's motion...
Attached Images

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished:

- Toyota Celica M edition (studio)
MartinP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Mészy
Noob

Send a message via MSN to Mészy
Hi,

the model looks good to me. But the clay renders to dark to see the mesh well. Post wires please and keep working.

Regards, Mészy.
Old 26-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
parleee
Canadian, eh?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: roducing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 4
The p39, you don't hear much about that thing. Nice work. The model is a little hard to see, but I think it is quit decent. It could do with a little more detail, or are you going for lowish poly? Aside from that the only issue I see is the minor bumpiness around the windscreen and door.

Keep it up.
parleee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
newhere
Work, art and videogames

Send a message via AIM to newhere
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: or participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band'' 
Total Awards: 7
Nice
"Life is like a video game that you have to play seriously. You can't just push the start button if you fail and come back in with everything you know or everything you have gained over a period of time."
~Newhere~

Angel Mars (Nudity)
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=75414
Queen's Blade Vol. 12 ~ Cattleya
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=62172
Dominance War V - God Of Enlightenment:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82875
newhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
MartinP2
Worldmaker

thanks...yes i never really saw a P39 model on the internet and this is my favourite...it also rare in the real world ...

I'm working on the door's and around the window...detail?...well where I can I put deatails but mainly it's low poly...let me show the wire's of it...
the total numbre of hand created polys are only 32 349 polygons (64 506tri)

and I have a meshsmooth modifier with 2sudb. and then the ploycount is 212 655poly (424 734tri) so I think this could be called low- or mid-poly model

about the details...well this project started to be a texturing training and excercise but with displ, normal, spec, and dirty, scratchy diffuse maps ...so the details will be in the texturing...better then modelling 10 000 number of half-spheres
Attached Images

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished:

Old 29-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Kyuss

very good work. Do you plan write a tutorial? PLEASE

thx
Kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
BattlemasterXP

There are too many edge flow mistakes.
Rules:
-no triangles
-no 5-,6-, or more sided polys
-no broken edgeflow

I pointed out your mistakes
here:

and an example:

Last edited by BattlemasterXP; 29-01-2008 at 04:34 PM..
BattlemasterXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
MartinP2
Worldmaker

well...
Kyuss...no I'm not planning to write a tut...I'm not that good
BattlemasterXP: well you're right... but if i make those all a loop as you suggested then:1:ther will be much more polys...i know it sounds horrible but i don't want that much... and 2: if i loop that all ones than i'll have too many loops that are too close to each other and when 2 edges are clos the smooth will sharpen them and of course I don't want that to be happen...those no ending loops have their right place...sometimes you have to make more than 4 vertexed polys...and you know that...
but before you misunderstand my ansver...thank you for your sharp eye and you showed me the mistakes and where I see I'll reloop it if it's needed...as you posted those cubes...on the result's it doesent make any sens how I did the cuts it is smoothed as I wanted...but again...thanks for your high-class help...

I'm finally finished the cockpt-windows repairing and moving onto the interior while rearranging the fuselage...images will be soon...

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished:

Old 30-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
MartinP2
Worldmaker

so here's the image...some parts of the interiaor can be seen...and the window s are finished (tha glass mat isn't)...
Attached Images

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished:

Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
MartinP2
Worldmaker

well i've run into to major problems...Idon't know how much detail I want and I can't set the interior in depth sometimes I see it's too close other it's too far away...
Attached Images

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished:

Old 06-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
Ghosty!
Problematique

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Edge flow is probably (IMO) the most important part of modelling and ignoring it will hinder your development as a 3D artist. Battlemaster is a bit blunt and straight to the point but he is correct and part of Edge flow is using polys to their maximum effect...

Yes, you will have a higher poly count if you just loop the edges around to the other side but you wont think about the flow and use polys smartly (and you will have the same poly count). You can create the same level of detail you have now with a lot less polys.

Check out THIS LINK and click on the Blackhawk model. That is 60,000 tris and IMO, there are a lot of wasted polys (for the level of detail it shows) in that model. Compare that to the detail you have in 65,000 tris.
Ghosty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
MartinP2
Worldmaker

first I've just got angry...now I'm calmed down...I believe that edge flow is important...but then why is this model is smoothing good too? with all the tris and more-than-quads and broken edgeflows? I do experienced what these non-finished edgeflows work wia MS becouse I Know how it works...I tried a lot of times on my earlier models to make every edgeflow correct and handled but I wasted more work on it...a lot more...to figure out how to not make it rippled or bad-way-smoothed...the more-than-quads ae really bad I know but tris are needed...or may I ask you that well could you give me a tip to for example how to put the gun's bay into the wings without making too more too close to each ther edges? I would love to hear that...yeah I saw thet helicopter before...and yes it's amazing that it's only that lamount of tris...I think you wanted to show me that I'm making too much tris...maybe you're right but I'm still working on it to make my tris at a good usefoul range...

so thanks for these BIG comments I will work out the wings and repair those nasty loops and then postin another wire...

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished:

Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
MartinP2
Worldmaker

uhhh...wel as i said here are some wire after repairing...those at the gun banks are there becouse it doesent matter since i detached that whole bank...well the other places...i needed to make those tris...anyway the MS modifier makes tris itself isn't

if you see any more problems write it please...I'd like to make this plane as good as it can be
Attached Images

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished:

Old 10-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
crasong
aspiring nooblet

Looks good to me.
Im new, so, since we're on topic, why is having triangles a bad thing? im just wondering what happens, cause i realized my dreadnought has a few of those.....very tiny ones...
crasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
MartinP2
Worldmaker

Thanks

As I have discovered during my earlier project triangles aren't that big problem...sometimes you can't work that way to eliminate them but you have to set them correctly...the problem is with them that the smooth modifier makes every poly (no matter how many vertexes does it have) divided the same amount of smaller polys...so when you make a tri or biger-than-quad the ms will have to split or put some extra tris into the smoothing and becouse it doesen't have any AI he will do it the same way...like when you put a tessalate on a poly and move the vertexes to smooth the surface...

in original tris were the first...everything what your computer calculates in 3D even in 2D are bild up from tri's becouse thats the fastest way to calculate fast and precise...so it really doesen't matter what you make...that's why editable mesh were first and then came editable poly...but whe you use quads you help the program (not your machine) to translate more easily the coordinates to your processor saving you time...

So I say if you have 5 tris in a 100.000 poly model then it's okay...if you have really much tris then you have to be very carefoul how they interact with the other parts of the model...wich means more time and bigger chance to error...

as I said before...this is my experiment with quads, tris and more-than-quads. I know that there are lots of people who can say how this works and say that what i say is a piece of Sh***t but please don't attack me becouse of what I've discovered with my eyes...thank you

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished: