>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 26-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Smile dhruvsm's lowpoly WIPs...!!!

hi everybody, i'm starting this thread to post my lowpoly model wips. rather than starting a new thread for each and every model, i assume it will be a great idea to post all of them in a single one while at wip stages for better followup, critiques and comments from start to the finish of the model which i hope i'll b able to do...!!!...i'll post all my lowpoly characters, armours, props, vehicles, texture maps etc. in this single thread as and when i'll be working on them...!!!...so i kndly request u to keep visiting and keeping me inspired with ur valuable suggetions, be that aesthetic or technical...thanks!!!

here's the first character to start off with this thread....a snow boarder...!!!...right now the character tri count is 3900+ and glasses are of 500+ tris. colors are just suggetions now and yeah, the board is yet to be modeled...!!!

critiques and comments are kindly welcome...!!!

cheers...!!!
dhruvsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
wintermute
just a box in a cage

I think this is a great model. I have absolutely no crit to give about that. It seems like you've used you polys well without wasting any(imo). I'm not sure about the ******. How does it deform? I'm by no means an animation or low poly expert but it looks like you may have some trouble in that already problematic area.

About the colors: maybe something that "pops". The black, gray, pink thing gives me no real feeling. She'd be in the snow. That kind of environment already has a lot of cold/neutral colors. Try some warm colors. See how it works.

Great job man! Keep it up!
Splash
Not So Splashy
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Smile update...!!!

hey wintermute...thanks for ur kind words...!!!...i'll definetly try some warm color pallete for the textures...!!!

i've worked on some more on the joints areas like ******, knees, elbow and the fingers...did the uv layout....probably i'll be finally going for a 1k or may be a 512x512 texture map for the character and another small separate one for the glass and the board...!!

C&C are kindly welcome....!!!

cheers...!!!
Old 30-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile

just some color blockings....hmmm....any suggetions???!!!

Old 31-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
HollowReaper
3d Addict

Send a message via MSN to HollowReaper
I like the red/white/black version, but i wouldn't keep the yellow gloves and boots, maybe change them black or even white perhaps?

http://hollowreaper.blogspot.com/
HollowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile update...!!!

hey HollowReaper...thanks for ur kind words...right now i'm thinking of changing the gloves colours to orange with black n white stripes....not decided with the shoe colours yet, so they r still yellow...

started to paint on the textures....its a screen capture of hardware display within maya witout using any lights....still need to paint on the creases and folds properly, specially the bottom part....

C&Cs are very much welcome

cheers...!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile update...!!!

another update with the texture before i go to the bed...so felt like posting...

C&C are verymuch welcome...

cheers...!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge #12 
Total Awards: 1
great work on the texture. really nice. keep us posted.

"Inter arma silent musae"
Ghost-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile update...!!!

hey Ghost-D...thanks for ur kind words and encouragement...!!!...

again a texture update...all done in photoshop......

C&Cs are kindly welcome...!!!

cheers...!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
Ghosty!
Problematique

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I think the snow pants need a bit of work; they're generally thick and big.

Yours hug the body (especially around the ******) and look more like jeans than snow pants...but if that is the style your going for, so be it. Good work btw
Ghosty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge #12 
Very nice progress, dhruvsm.
Just a minor crit/suggestion. Maybe you could make the "arse" area more like this:
http://www.aqwela.com/aqwela/images/...y%20shorts.jpg

right now thereŽs like black line going along the... symmetry line... you know what I mean
I love the way you "bridged" the leg and butt though, IŽd keep that. But the trousers seem to be made of a pretty elastic material so the line should not go that high, I think.

Just my opinion.

Good luck!

"Inter arma silent musae"
Ghost-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile update...!!!

hey Ghosty! thanks for ur kind words and comments and the cool refrence...!!!...while begining the character i was going through a set of images through google and most of them has the kind of dress that u've posted....but i got the interest to model this while playing a small mobile game on my cell phone which had couple of these kind of models, though very minimalistic and small in detail (as a mobile game), i thought and sticked to the same style but with more detailing...!!!...thanks for ur support again...!!!

hey Ghost-D...thanks for the visit again and the reference...u r quite right, i did the forms correct on the model at that area and i wll correct the texture....thanks!!!

a small update i should have posted last night.....worked on the shoes and the cap.....the shoes needs more work though i want to keep the detail pretty simple...any reference would be really greatful...

C&C are kindly welcome...

cheers...!!!
Old 13-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Smile update...!!!

more updates on texture...face, gloves and the shirt....

critiques and comments are kindly welcome...

this is a maya render...

and rest of these are print screen of maya hardware display without light...

cheers...!!!
Old 26-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #14
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
update...!!!

a liitle update on the facial textures...

cheers...!!!
Old 26-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
PHE Ash

wow nice model man
i am not really into texturing, but thats awesome how much you did to her face and pants. they look so detailed now :-) what size of textures do you use?
a crit to the model: i think there is something bothering me when i look at her from the side. maybe it is the chest that is like a diagonal straight line with no female curvature. maybe its her breasts. i am sorry i cant really point it out. they seem to hang down and the distance between "lowest breat point" and clavicle seems a bit big. i mean that girl looks pretty young but still gravity effected her lots :-)
I hope that was some help.
PHE Ash is offline   Reply With Quote