>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 17-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Jido
Skill Reaper

DWIII - 3D - Jido - Hjarta The Sleepless

EDIT [summary] _____________________________

Warlord / Summoning Artifact

Short Version:
Hjarta is a female who belongs to a isolationist race (Drakesthai) of mostly Clericons and Stalkers (no warlords) that look like gargoyles. She broke a forbidden rule, was banished, stripped of her magic by nightmare creatures, and left to die. She lives long enough to find an artifact (that is part scythe and part polearm) that keeps her alive by summoning the same nightmare creatures to steal life force for her vitality. She cannot regain her magic, so she trained and now fights as a warlord.

Long Version:
The Drakesthai is a secretive ancient race that when sleep appear as stone and regenerate. There are not many, however a drakesthai can live for centuries. Humans that have encountered them have called them Upright Dragons, Golems, or most commonly Gargoyles. It is forbidden for drakesthai to study or communicate with other intelligent races.

Hjarta was banished for studying the metal creatures that started to appear on her planet. As further punishment, her wings and horns were removed and nightmare wraiths were bound to her life force. If she didn't stay focused and awake the wraiths would painfully devour her life force. Without sleep, Hjarta could not regenerate and was doomed to a slow death. While sleeplessly wandering the wilderness for months, she came across a great bladed staff adorned with serpent-like creatures. Although her horns are growing back, Hjarta knew, even if she defeated the wraiths, she would not regain her regeneration ability as it was devoured weeks ago. In desperation to quickly end her life in pain, she stabbed herself with the staff. Instead of dying, she could feel great magic emanate from the staff and it felt as if the wraiths were being ripped from her life force and drawn into staff.

Somehow, the magic in the staff "speaks" to Hjarta, teaching her that as long as she controls the staff, she controls the wraiths. Hjarta has a choice: She can battle with the staff as well as summon the wraiths to devour the life force of her enemies. Hjarta can sustain her own vitality with this devoured life force, replacing her regeneration ability. Or, she can destroy the staff and free herself of the wraiths live out the rest of her shortened life as a broken drakesthai.

The drakesthai refuse to fight with the races on the planet against the metal creatures and have gone into hiding. They fear getting involved with the ongoing planetary wars. Hjarta chooses to fight in the planet wars in order to get closer to the metal creatures to study their technology that may bring peace back to the galaxy and free her race from solitude.

Last edited by Jido; 17-02-2008 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Added Summary
Jido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
your choice of teams, was a good one. congradulations.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
markus_omega
certified madman

now thats a cool storie . i love the idea
markus_omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
that might be the best beginning of a fantasy story that ive ever heard. you should write a book after the contest.
omnicypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
YdoUwant2know

TURN COAT!!!!

a pox on your house good sir, a pox on your house....

oh, well, best of luck, too bad you could not have waited a day and been on the winning side
YdoUwant2know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
Jido
Skill Reaper

Thanks for the compliments on the backstory, I hope my entry lives up to it. I plan on adding to the story as I post WIPs. It would be nice to be a Game Designer as well 3D Asset Artist.

YdoU - Turn Coat?... If I had sided with GA (I almost did since I've posted there so many times), then I would've been a turn coat...lol... I've lurked 3DTotal for a while. I'll make sure I eat my cake with blue frosting over at GA if it makes you feel better.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YdoUwant2know View Post
TURN COAT!!!!

a pox on your house good sir, a pox on your house....

oh, well, best of luck, too bad you could not have waited a day and been on the winning side
Can't blame a man for having good taste.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #8
YdoUwant2know

I can't really fault you for choosing 3dt. Nostalgic value alone, I have a bit of a soft spot for this place. It was my first forum and after lasts years success, I was right here cheering with all of you.

let us just agree to disagree (and to kick the crap out of polycount and cgsociety)

That said, I will wish you luck today, but should we meet on the battlefield, I shall give you no quarter.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YdoUwant2know View Post
I can't really fault you for choosing 3dt. Nostalgic value alone, I have a bit of a soft spot for this place. It was my first forum and after lasts years success, I was right here cheering with all of you.

let us just agree to disagree (and to kick the crap out of polycount and cgsociety)

That said, I will wish you luck today, but should we meet on the battlefield, I shall give you no quarter.
Fair do's, and I agree with the crap-kicking part whole-heartedly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I consider GA to be friendly rivals. A special relationship. Wow, this really is like a war. Let's hope that somebody ends up with something to show for it!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
you should have stayed hidden, then at least there was a chance we would have forgotten you. But now that I know your there, I'll be looking for you. I'm making a new friend that I want you to meet.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #11
YdoUwant2know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
you should have stayed hidden, then at least there was a chance we would have forgotten you. But now that I know your there, I'll be looking for you. I'm making a new friend that I want you to meet.

Wow ToE really? I have to say, anything you throw at me is not going to scare me nearly as much as Big Al

Jido: Sorry for hijacking your thread, i really do mean best of luck to you and all the 3dt people. I agree with Monte's sentiment, 3dt and GameArtisans are more friendly rivals than anything. I really like the back story you created for you character, and look forward to facing you on the battlefield.
Old 19-02-2008, 02:54 AM   #12
Jido
Skill Reaper

The Ultimate Weapon was unleashed 873 years before Hjarta was born. The drakesthai have always been master magicians even before the Ultimate Weapon existed. However, its after-effects have amplified their magical powers making it easier for them to stay hidden and live in peace amongst themselves in the high mountains of [Threedysia]. At the age of 94, Hjarta and her people encountered two of the now prevalent metallic creatures. The entire community used their magics to bring down these creatures. However when their bodies were obliterated, two dark beings emerged from the debris and only the Great Elder had the strength to capture and destroy them but at the cost of losing his sight. Because of their secluded ways, the outside world never knew of this event. For nearly 30 years before being banished, Hjarta managed to secretly study outsider encounters with these creatures and the wormholes they were coming from; they began to appear more frequently. Her greatest discovery was of an outsiders' legend about a Gargoyle fighting with 2 Nightmares. The Gargoyle seemingly defeated, wailed out a loud chant in desperation and the battle ended as the 2 Nightmares disappeared into the eyes of the Gargoyle. It just so happened the Great Elder, 1241 years old, died 3 days before Hjarta was exiled...

References:
Raziel [Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver]
Draenei [World of Warcraft]
Serena Williams [Tennis Star Athlete]

This is just her physical form, I haven't any idea yet for her clothing and armor (I'm researching materials for the armor and artifact that do not conduct electricity, like carbon, jade, and ivory type stuff). Her wings were amputated at the elbow so she still has the nubs on her back (Without accelerated healing and before finding the artifact, she burned them so not to bleed to death, so they can't grow back). She uses the nubs to carry the artifact to free her hands while still maintaining contact with the artifact.

EDIT_______
I want her torso somewhat longer than a human to emphasize agility and flexiblity, but her thighs and arms are more masculine for strength and speed. She stands about 8' 7" (2.6m) tall. I still don't know if she will have hair.... the Gargoyles animated tv show make me not want to give her hair. Maybe some kind of dreadlocks, maybe.

Last edited by Jido; 19-02-2008 at 03:26 AM..
Old 19-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #13
Jido
Skill Reaper

Feel free to hijack my thread anytime, the bumps are welcome....lol

I was always checking the Tutorials on here from time to time, I was hooked when Joan of Arc was 1st posted. I already had forum logins for 3DT and CGS when I heard about DW2... I wanted to do a machine (I have to find and replace all my images for that thread).
Old 19-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #14
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Bad a$$! I like the two horn ornaments rising from her forehead, but I think it would be pretty cool to draw upon the banishment aspect and have her have side horns and one be chopped off with a nub, just like the wings.

In a hint towards the armor, try hitting up a D&D book, I think you'll find something that will interest you in the player's handbook. Good luck and keep it coming!
Old 19-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
Jido
Skill Reaper

I'll check out D&D.... Her horns are naturally much longer than that, like gazelles. The broken horns will be more obvious in the next iteration.