>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges > Work in Progress

Old 29-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
stormnboy

Destruction 3

Here is my wip for the matte competition.. First I stitched these four photos together.... took them at the corner of Flinders & Swanston, Melbourne.

And got this: -the full image is much larger...

The white sky made it so much easier to mask. Woot!
Touched up stitching, masked out some people and cars... took out car headlights, colour correction... etc

Now I can really get down and Destroy it. Ha.
Old 29-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
stormnboy

More Ambiance feel for it...
Old 29-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
stormnboy

Anything you think needs fixing before i start going into details? I can't do much more till I get my Tablet from home.. So I think thats it for today.
Old 29-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
nice so far but hurry up....not much time left
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
stormnboy

Yep.... not much time left.
Old 31-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
stormnboy

Old 31-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
stormnboy

Haha... i just noticed the ghost paratroopers to the right of the 'Seven News' sign.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
stormnboy

Yay.. More time!
Dirtied up some windows - AND MADE A HOLE! OMG! Aught to fill it with water.... ha.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
good thing you got those 2 guys out
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre 
Total Awards: 11
you should cover that crowd on the left, by the yellow car, with a pile of rubble or a big fire or some destroyed stuff... They look to calm for a place in the middle of mayhem. Also, those cars are all very tidy. Maybe you can place a column of tanks or armored vehicles in the front.
Just some ideas

Ugga!
DD
Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #11
krayzgerman

Wink Pretty cool

I like how you joined your background city together and what you did with the para-troopers, maybe some smaller para-troopers further away in the same area would give it a more dramatic sense of depth. There is still a bit of organization and calmness because of all the bystanders standing around not panicking, you could place some cropped car accident pictures around in the image to cover them up or to give it more of a horrific feel. Nice job so far I'm really liking it. A dead or injured body or two wouldn't hurt
krayzgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #12
stormnboy

Hey Guys.. Thanks a heap for your input..
I've been overrun with projects from work - the usual story...

Suirebit-3DT - Yep... they were just whacked there... needed to be merged better... I'm thinking i will put them back in... with more work of cause... ?

DaddyDoom - Yep I totally agree. A bit of work there... I have to work out how to make smashed glass look realistic... its not something I've done before. Any ideas?

& krayzgerman.... Whats wrong with standing around, calmly watching as a city gets blown to piece's around you? Helps digest breakfast.... Ha.
I need to go in and Drastically change that middle ground there.
Great idea with the paratroopers. Did not think of that on myself...

Chow!
update coming soon..

Last edited by stormnboy; 06-04-2008 at 03:14 AM..
stormnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre 
Total Awards: 11
I think that you can easily find shattered glass reference pix in Google Images.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #14
stormnboy

But of cause! Lets go google....
Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #15
krayzgerman

use flickr.com

I find it best to use flickr.com, the images are high res, the copyright and usage are stated on the page of the image and most of the time its almost always public, or at least creative usage allowed, plus if you need permission to use the image you can easily email the user rather than Google where the source is most of the time extremely hard to find.
krayzgerman is offline   Reply With Quote