>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 14
Speed Sculpt Challenge - 002 - Manimal (1 week Extension)

Here comes round two of the already much loved and soon to become astronomically popular "THE Sculpting Challenge" -- so few limitations, accept no imitations! Alright, corny slogans aside, this comp is going to rock because this time around we're giving the winner the chance to hold their awesome work in the palm of their hand! That's right, win this sucker, and 3DTotal, along with GrowIt will provide you with a $200 Super-high detail 3D print. Not bad for 4 hours work eh?

This week we're keeping things broad and straightforward, and above all, fun for everyone... With that in mind, let's get the boring bit out of the way, so we can get on with it!

Rules:

1. The competition will last two weeks, with two weeks allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting the entries -- at which point the next competition will start.
2. The moderators will be supplying a base mesh for each competition, (this week's provided by forum user Crimson King! Thanks pal! ) from which everyone will start sculpting with. This is so we all get an equal start and it keeps us on topic.
3. There will be a time limit for the sculpting. Spend no longer than the allocated time limit, then post a screen-grab of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here.
4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.
5. As the base mesh shows, the sculpt is a shoulders and head sculpt only, do not attempt to extend this into a full-body sculpt.
6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging, let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt. What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpts you can produce "under pressure". If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable and on topic.
7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it. It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labelling etc, but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "manage attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.
8. You can have multiple entries, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.
9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here, and your FINAL entry in this thread.

These rules apply to everybody taking part, there will be NO exceptions!
We've attached the base mesh at the bottom of this post. Take it and go subdivide.

Prizes
The winner will receive a $200 3D print of their character sculpt, see full details of this amazing prize here.
Our guide for preparing models for 3d printing can also be downloaded here

Time limit - 4 hours
Deadline - Tuesday May 27th, 10:00 AM GMT +0
Subject - Half-Human, Half-Animal.

We've all been there, it's a normal night at the cinema, the movie's in full swing and you're just about to reach your arm around the neck of your main squeeze, when all of a sudden you transform into an anthropomorphic vision of frenzied destruction and kill everyone in the room. In this comp we want you to take the base mesh provided and sculpt your visualisation of such a transformation, in any way or fashion you deem fit. Realistic, fantasy, stylized, anything goes. Pick whatever animal you like too, wolf, horse, puma, slender loris...

We've also given you the option of having eyes this time around, there's a separate .obj file provided or you can add eyes yourself as sub-tools (or software equivalent) but you have to pick one or the other of these options, not both.

Manimals assemble!
Attached Files
File Type: obj 3DTotal_Manimal.obj (112.5 KB, 1218 views)
File Type: obj 3DTotal_Manimal_Eyes.obj (61.0 KB, 924 views)

Last edited by Knut; 10-06-2008 at 10:15 AM..
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Total Awards: 2
Cool, something to realy get my teeth into
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
funkdelic
3D Dude!

Send a message via ICQ to funkdelic Send a message via MSN to funkdelic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: the 2nd place at the 22nd LowPoly Contest  
Total Awards: 3
I knew it haha, when I saw the 3D print news in the front page this come to my mind!
amazing guys, really amazing!
Old 13-05-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
freesupra
matty

Send a message via MSN to freesupra
YAY this is gonna rock
Old 13-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
Dude this really rock man. Round 2 here I come.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
InsomiaInc

wow this is cool! im in!
InsomiaInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
heres the starting base mesh, now we wont all have jagged shoulders and messed up neck lines! im in on this one.
Attached Images

omnicypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #8
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
30 min:
Attached Images

Old 13-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #9
Noodles
Don't eat me.

can it be a mix of multiple animals?
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 03:51 AM   #10
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
1 hour
Attached Images

Old 13-05-2008, 04:09 AM   #11
Teyon
Incredi-Boy

Awards Showcase
Just so that I understand - we're allowed to have a series of entries where we:

have a creature with eyes

OR

have a creature without eyes

but we can't have one entry with eyes and one entry without?

Bit odd if that's the case but okay by me.

Something else I wanted to understand - can we use transpose (or whatever Mudbox has that's similar) to get the model into a pose we like before sculpting? For this challenge in particular, it would be beneficial to do so. I understand that we're not allowed to rig the model but this isn't rigging so much as moving.

Last edited by Teyon; 13-05-2008 at 04:14 AM..
Teyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #12
NeoGeo

Awards Showcase
nice one i'm thinking man lizard
NeoGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
DeadlyFreeze
Not a zombie.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For throwing one hell of a good suggestion out there. You suggested the sculpting challenge, and we ran with it. The community loves it. Nice one! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: your testicles Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyon View Post
Just so that I understand - we're allowed to have a series of entries where we:

have a creature with eyes

OR

have a creature without eyes

but we can't have one entry with eyes and one entry without?

Bit odd if that's the case but okay by me.

Something else I wanted to understand - can we use transpose (or whatever Mudbox has that's similar) to get the model into a pose we like before sculpting? For this challenge in particular, it would be beneficial to do so. I understand that we're not allowed to rig the model but this isn't rigging so much as moving.
No Teyon its use the eyes they supplied or add ones yourself, but not both.

Tranpose does not alter the mesh it only moves its points so its perfectly fine.

The mysterious guy behind you...
DeadlyFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
Iron Boot

Here is my Lizardman. 1 Hour, I couldnt figure out how to add eyes in Zbrush without dropping the model.
Attached Images

Old 13-05-2008, 06:48 AM   #15
DJdude
noobster

Awards Showcase
i cant wait to c the entries.