>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 27-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Speed Sculpt Challenge - 003 - Supersoldier (Nudity Warning)

Welcome to the third challenge of The Speed Sculpting competition. The only place to sculpt.

Rules:

1. The competition will last two weeks, which will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting the entries -- at which point the next competition will start.
2. The moderators will be supplying a base mesh for each competition (this week's provided by forum user Crimson King, it is the same basemesh as in the Manimal competition), from which everyone will start sculpting. This is so we all get an equal start and it keeps us on topic.
3. There will be a time limit for the sculpting. Spend no longer than the allocated time limit, then post a screen-grab of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here.
4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.
5. As the base mesh shows, the sculpt is a shoulders, torso and head sculpt only, do not attempt to extend this into a full-body sculpt.
6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging, let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt. What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpts you can produce "under pressure". If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable and on topic.
7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it. It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labelling etc, but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "manage attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.
8. You can have multiple entries, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.
9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here, and your FINAL entry in this thread.

These rules apply to everybody taking part, there will be NO exceptions!
We've attached the base mesh at the bottom of this post. Take it and go subdivide.

Prizes
The main prize of the '3D Print' is going to be awarded on alternate competitions, so for this challenge the prizes are as follows:

The winner can choose any 2 3DTotal products from our shop from the ranges of 3DTotal Books, 3DTotal DVDs (all textures, shorts and training) and 12 month mag subscriptions.

Time limit - 4 hours
Deadline - Tuesday June 10th, 10:00 AM GMT +0
Subject - Supersoldier.

This time it's about supersoldiers, commandos, siege veterans, muscle packed battleworn gods of the warzones. The big guys, carrying the big guns. We're interested in how you can convey their personality through no more than a torso, shoulders and head. Show the awesomeness of their experience, maybe sculpt in some added appendages ( bionic eyes, iron muscles bulging through the skin ), some scars from a lucky bullet that somehow managed to scratch him.

The supersoldier is the guy that tells the rest of the army to take five and watch some fireworks. It's easy to sculpt a mean soldier, but it takes skill to sculpt a super soldier and convey all his traits, personality and experience into the final entry.

As before, we're giving you the option of having eyes, there's a separate .obj file provided or you can add eyes yourself as sub-tools (or software equivalent) but you have to pick one or the other of these options, not both. The race of your character must be human. No aliens or other creatures this time.

I'm gonna go pick up my rifle and stimpacks...
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: obj 3DTotal_Supersoldier.obj (112.5 KB, 1093 views)
File Type: obj 3DTotal_Supersoldier_Eyes.obj (61.0 KB, 757 views)

Last edited by Knut; 10-06-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Rule update.
Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
funkdelic
3D Dude!

Send a message via ICQ to funkdelic Send a message via MSN to funkdelic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: the 2nd place at the 22nd LowPoly Contest  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
damn, we can wait for some real fancy sculptings....
nice one guys! the speed sculpting challenge is great for practice!
Old 27-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
I will be avidly watching this one, good luck to all who enter!

CG
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row 
Total Awards: 11
interesting, well I'm sure i'll have time for a go
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Hive_minD
a living work in progress

Hmmm. Must it be a self-invented supersoldier? Or can it be Rambo or such? Just so we don't misunderstand How about the race. Must it be human?
I'm new here, but thinking of joining

Chris

||CA Sketchbook||
||ZBrush Sketchbook||

Last edited by Hive_minD; 27-05-2008 at 03:58 PM..
Hive_minD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Sabbat

cool

i don't have much time at the moment, but i will try make something
Sabbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Aleks
Silky smooth

Send a message via ICQ to Aleks Send a message via MSN to Aleks
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My latest model got plugged. The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive_minD View Post
Hmmm. Must it be a self-invented supersoldier? Or can it be Rambo or such? Just so we don't misunderstand How about the race. Must it be human?
I'm new here, but thinking of joining

Chris
Not necessarily.You can make Rambo or Terminator,but just keep in mind that people who are going to vote, will look not only at how good the sculpt is executed but also at how original it is
As for race,I guess it would be better if we stick with humans.

Last edited by Aleks; 27-05-2008 at 04:03 PM..
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Hive_minD
a living work in progress

Ok, then that is cleared up. And I totally agree on the human part.

||CA Sketchbook||
||ZBrush Sketchbook||
Hive_minD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
Gotta take a shot at this too. God, I wish I had more free time on my hands right now!
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
otas32

Send a message via ICQ to otas32 Send a message via MSN to otas32 Send a message via Yahoo to otas32
Good luck to everyone, and happy sculpting!
Old 27-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
Aleks
Silky smooth

Send a message via ICQ to Aleks Send a message via MSN to Aleks
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My latest model got plugged. The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Hey guys,about the whole races thing.Let's keep it humans only,ok? You can make the model in any style you'd like but let it be a human You can add all kinds of gadgets/devices and stuff of course,there are no limits here. I'm talking of cyborgs
Old 27-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #12
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks-3DT View Post
Hey guys,about the whole races thing.Let's keep it humans only,ok? You can make the model in any style you'd like but let it be a human You can add all kinds of gadgets/devices and stuff of course,there are no limits here. I'm talking of cyborgs
I've added this in the brief. Good call, Aleks.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
grommie
DDD Addicted

Send a message via MSN to grommie
Here we go again.
Thanks 3dtotal for helping us to practice.
That's nice.

www.codornafilmes.com.br/glauco
grommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
Can't wait to get home and get started on this one. great theme.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grommie View Post
Here we go again.
Thanks 3dtotal for helping us to practice.
That's nice.
indeed since the challenges have started, i have packed out zbrush and learned sooo much ... and still learn so much while watching all the great 3d artist in this forum.

42min in so far, need a computer break for some hours.... and talk to a human being for a change
Attached Images

Tags
challenge, sculpt, speed, supersoldier