>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 2D, traditional art and photography gallery

Old 09-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Thykka

Talking Thykka's doodles - updated 10/02/08

I've been doing 3d-work professionally for a few years now and recently I've realized that I really need to practise 2d painting more if I wish to get better at 3d. I'm planning to paint at least five pictures each week and I'll post them semi-regularily to this thread.
C&C would be very much appreciated

2008-05-30 - Graffiti stuff. Kinda neat but not quite useful :P

2008-06-03 - More graffiti. I used ShiPainter and an Intuos3 for both of these.

2008-06-04 - The shading is way too flat and the clouds suck. I set a 60 minute time limit while making this.

2008-06-05 - 1.5 hours for this one. The clouds didn't quite work out. Gotta practise on that more.

2008-06-08 - 15 minutes with a reference pic. Really sloppy but I suppose you can recognize the subject

2008-06-08 - 25 minutes in OpenCanvas. Proportions seem somewhat correct (at least compared to the previous pic) but overall quite boring.

2008-06-09 - 15 minutes with a reference pic. I'm quite proud of this one although his clothes are quite sketchy.

2008-06-09 - 40min. The anatomy is all wrong. I think it looked better before I used photoshop's smudge tool tho..

That's all for now. I'll be posting more soon
Attached Images

Last edited by Thykka; 02-10-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Thykka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
Good stuff here. Nice style. The nose is a little off on the girl.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Thykka

Thanks M_Cederstrom!

2008-06-10 - Quickie.. Tried to make this look as if taken with a fisheye lens :P
Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
pitchus
Userized Register

Send a message via ICQ to pitchus
Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge No.73 ''Life on a farm'' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
not bad not bad.. hasselhoff has small hand though
anyway, love that sketchy clothes guy, looks very artistic
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Thykka

Thanks pitchus!

2008-06-11 - 30min Vader (with reference)
Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Vader!!! Luke I am your father. nice :30 min work.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Thykka

2008-06-11 - 1 hour Dramatic Lemur Fur is another weakness of mine, it seems...
Old 15-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Thykka

5 a week didn't quite work out

Here's two recent quickies

Should pay more attention to the initial sketching stage.. Particularily focusing on anatomy.
Old 16-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
i love the one with the red background, nice use of color, just be careful where you place shadows and highlights. keep them coming.
Old 16-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #10
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
Interesting sketching sessions You seem to work quite well with references and you have a good sense of negative space and use it well. Proportions and volumes seems to be your enemy from time to time but with practice I think you will easily surpass them. Keep the updates coming.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Thykka

Thanks for the feedback Avatar-3DT and M_Cedestrom. I appreciate it!

1 hour speedpaint. The background is a photo tho.

Didn't have time to finish the shading

1 hour speedpaint from reference.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #12
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Love that doctor house Pic, That first one came out really nice was well, only thing is on doctor house the nose need to be worked a little, Keep them Coming.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #13
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
I have to say that city looks impresive. the character would need work but the city looks ace. Keep them coming.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote