>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 17-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
mohamad

Milan Cathedral - Reconstruction Project

Hello Friends;

I am Mohammad Saatchi, Freelancer 3D Artist and Web Programmer. I'm writer of "Making Schwerin Theater" book. Sometimes I going to do some big self challenge. My past project was "Reconstruct Schwerin Theater" that done on 2007. Now after long time I want start my new project that's "3D Reconstruct of Milan Cathedral". In this project I will reconstruct that famous and beautiful building without using measure and texture. All will done by eyes and box!

I will work with 3ds max 2013.

You can follow the project in the facebook from here.
Attached Images

Last edited by mohamad; 19-12-2012 at 06:11 PM..
mohamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
tillaart36

O.o

You aren't easy to scare of thats for sure...this cathedral looks (in my eyes) almost impossible to model but I saw your work on the Schwerin Theater and guess you got the capacities for it...

Good Luck!
tillaart36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
If you model this, you will be clinically insane, but also up there with one of the best modellers ever.

Due to your previous project I actually think you can do this one too, but it's gonna be a huge project and such alot of poly's

I wish you the best of luck with it, and look forward with hushed anticipation to your recreation.

Kind Regards

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Untamed
Insane detail club

Send a message via MSN to Untamed
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Oh my god.

My brain hurts even thinking about the scope of modeling something of this complexity.

Good luck!
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
brentagain
Banned.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
your insane...but in a good way
brentagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
gnome
Stray Soul

Send a message via ICQ to gnome Send a message via MSN to gnome
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Wrestling Move'' 
Total Awards: 3
wow. I really gotta keep my eyes peeled for this. It looks like a huge lot of work, even if many parts can probably be instanced.

And if you haven't stumbled across it, the wikimedia commons have some images for you, some of them fairly high-res: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...uomo_di_Milano

Good luck!

Last edited by gnome; 18-07-2008 at 01:04 AM..
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #7
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
wow, this is like solving a jigsaw puzzle and taking a cold bath in the middle of winter at the same time.....( WTF )....well I don't doubt your skills at all, but you are gonna need very good reference shots for this that is if you want to be faithful to the original design.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #8
RockstarKate
Maxaholics Anonymous

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
With proper planning, I think this could be easier than it looks- there are many repeated parts and it appears to be symmetrical. Your computer might explode though

Looking forward to seeing it.
RockstarKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Nippur

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Hey, good to see you back my friend . I'm looking forward to see how you deal with this. Good luck.
Old 18-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Lethn

Holy **** enough said, if you go through with this I will be very impressed.
Lethn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
pables
Modoler!

Send a message via MSN to pables
Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.057 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge ''Walk this way'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge #24  
Total Awards: 12
uoh! I remember my year in Milan

Good luck with this work, I'll have an eye on this.
Old 18-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
Uncle Pritt

Good luck!!
This is a very massive work: I visited it many times and I've been on the roof at least 2 times in the last year. There's a lot of statues, rampant arc and decoration.
If you're not in hurry when I will go to Milan, it's not far from my city and I usually go 3 or 4 times in a year, I can take you some pictures for reference

byeeeee
Old 20-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
GARBO X
Maya Can Do It

Awards Showcase
If you can model this then I want to see you final model. I will be waiting, and don't give up.( "Never Back Down" awesome movie )
GARBO X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
mohamad

Oh thanks all, you really make me more interest and give me more motive! I think I could start it in this weekend. So wait for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pritt View Post
If you're not in hurry when I will go to Milan, it's not far from my city and I usually go 3 or 4 times in a year, I can take you some pictures for reference

byeeeee
that's great. In this project I want have better attend in the details and really need some special photo from you. So when you decide to go there, please tell me before.
mohamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
KGB
Down since day one...

Send a message via ICQ to KGB
Awards Showcase
dude if you actually pull this off which i'm kinda certain you will do I'll personally will get my ass to Iran find you whereever you are and shake your hand so get ready to meet me
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote