>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 18-11-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
WIP page

This is some character i made up. Suppose to be for this race of artificial telepathic aliens. They've gone insane, killing the species that created them, and stalk the universe for more prey. XD They fight with an eye toward espionage, mind control, and other CIA like ways. Im going for menacing but also diplomatic for the look. Will use maya, zbrush, and photoshop. Any and all crits, comments would b cool.

Attached Images

Last edited by E4sY; 09-12-2008 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: added thread pic
E4sY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
strict9
xyz to uv YO

looks nice allready...don't forget the thing in his forehead.
are you going to rig him as well?...I'm curious how the shoulder pats will go when his arms move.....will have to get to that problem myself some day so i thought i'd ask
strict9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
I finally got the character in zbrush. still alot more zbrush time needed, but here is update so far.

strict9 - yes, i plan to rig. my first thought is to add extra handles, but im not sure either. comments and criticism is ok.

Last edited by E4sY; 30-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: giving the ok for comments
Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Here are more updates. still working on normal map atm.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by strict9 View Post
looks nice allready...don't forget the thing in his forehead.
are you going to rig him as well?...I'm curious how the shoulder pats will go when his arms move.....will have to get to that problem myself some day so i thought i'd ask
the simplest way is to just skin them to the upper arm bones.

A better way would be to bone them separately and drive them using the reaction manager/driven keys/whatever the equivalent is in your app of choice

He's an interesting shaped character, I rather like him

Unless you've got a specific reason not to I'd suggest retopologising at least his face and thigh plates to account for the shapes you've added in zbrush - the sillhouette doesn't match.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/

Last edited by poopipe; 01-12-2008 at 06:35 PM..
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
here's another zbrush update.

poopipe - thanks for advice. i tried to stear the hi poly mesh back toward the low poly mesh shape. Also started the textures.

Last edited by E4sY; 04-12-2008 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: added color update
Old 07-12-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
hi, here's an update on color map. trying to bring out dark and light areas. any crits or comments are good.

Last edited by E4sY; 07-12-2008 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: giving the ok for comments and critiques
Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Another color map update. I'm sure its noticable that my strong suit is not texturing, so I'm trying to make more time for this part of the project. there are seems still showing, but they'll be cleaned up.

Last edited by E4sY; 08-12-2008 at 05:01 PM..
Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Think this will be final updates for this character. I'm getting used to a new workflow. Also, I learned a lot of what I should pay more attention to in the future. One area is silhouette. I should of modeled a few more of the features so the characters silhouette woud flow more correctly. Was thinking of adding weapons. For now I'll leave it be and get started on something new.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
I think you could finish this and get a really nice character out of it tbh but I know where you're coming from.

The main reason I've switched to a zbrush based workflow is to avoid some of the issues I think you've had on this guy. Unless you're working to a very detailed concept and you don't stray from the design it's difficult to plan the low-poly mesh layout.

Next time - by way of an exercise more than anything else, can I suggest doing the sculpt first and building the low-poly later?

I found that way of working very liberating because it means you're free to create without worrying about topology and it saves the drudgery of building the low-poly for the end when your enthusiasm is waning anyway.

Old 13-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Poopipe - i want to try the work flow ur describing. Im guessing i could start in maya w/ low poly mesh and export it to zbrush then make sculpt. Then I would have the sculpt ready and proceed to creating the low poly from the sculpt. After this things get cloudy. When would I create the uv map?

Last edited by E4sY; 13-12-2008 at 07:03 PM..
Old 21-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
the best time would be after you retopologise and create your low-poly from the sculpt.

retopologise
export the low res mesh to maya
unwrap and export
import to zbrush
project your sculpt onto the new mesh.

yeah - that's about the best way
head back to maya for your final optimisations and tweaks.

Old 23-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
Lucysmith

Good creativity and also nice job, well done !