>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > AVATAR

Old 05-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
AVATAR - 2D - mr_carl - "goat of the earth"

Hi everyone, I know Im a bit late but Im a bit of a lurker here at Threedy forums and it was quite some time I was here actually.

Anyway, for a couple of days ago I surfed in here to see what was going on and I saw this challenge,( and a challenge is always interesting right ), so I had to check it out.
When I looked around here my mother called and just wanted to have a little chat and asked me if I knew in what Chinese year I was born, of course I had no clue and had to check it out. It turned out that I was born in the year of the Goat and the sign of earth or dirt (don't know the right word), and as I was looking around here I kind of thought that an avatar of the earth in the shape of a goat would be cool so I started to work out an idea.

So that's the background of my idea and here is the idea.

As I mentioned my avatar is of the earth and since Im born in the year of the goat it will have some influences from that, like the horns and goat-beard but in stone or dirt.
The character is also influenced by Chinese and Japanese midevil warriors and futuristic robots like gundam and there will of course be a dragon and the environment will be something like a futuristic city with neon signs and stuff.

Anyway I hope you will like this as much as me, and here is a first draft layout of the scene.
Attached Images

mr_carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
worked some on the character.
Will maby change the name of this image to something else.

Second image is 50% size of full image.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
outlander

Awards Showcase
The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: For producing some winning artwork in the Avatar interforum competition. 
did you use cinema 4d for that effect of "destruction" of the dragon/snake? (maybe explosion fx?)
outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
It´s actually made in Modo.

It´s really simple effect to create, first make a sphere and subdivide it a few times make random selections and delete or invert and delete the rest. When you have the faces you want make them thicker with an "Extrude" or like in Modo "Thicken". After that I just used vertex jitter.
To get the tail of the dragon I did the same with a part of the tail and I used some parts of the sphere.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
POSEIdOON

Like it
Really interesting concept, i like chinese mythology.

Your going to use this 3d for the foundation of your drawing,
or it will be a totally 3d work?

Hope to see more
POSEIdOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
The 3D will be for the foundation, and I will probably use the ambient occlution pass and reflection pass.

More will come soon.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
So worked a bit more with the background, but most work is done with main character. Placed some basic shaders which makes it look like a little of a child's painting, but I will change that

Second image is character in 100%crop, if I dont change the size,
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
outlander

Awards Showcase
The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: For producing some winning artwork in the Avatar interforum competition. 
thanks for the answer, it's always a good thing to share knowledge. one more thing to say: excellent work until now, the composition is very dynamic and powerful
outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
POSEIdOON

Really good work
But what i'm really curious is to see how this will look in drawing...

Really good i think
POSEIdOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Thanks allot guys.

The main problem I have now is to make the environment to look more alive, there has to be so much detales to make a believable feeling.

Anyways, continuing with more lightning and basic shading of the character and then I´m off to Photoshop for the rest of the time I think.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle 
Total Awards: 4
hi there, thanks for the comment on mine, i dont think you'd need to alter your colour palette really because I think the overall feel of your image will be very different from mine. definitely gonna be interesting to see what it looks like painted.
CLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Thanks CLP,

Yea you are right we have kind of different feels to our images and as I mentioned before just some more 3Ding now and then photoshop all the way.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #13
decosouza
Character modeler

Send a message via MSN to decosouza
Amazing! Lovely concept! I really want to see the 2D image. I liiked the pespective angle. No critiques for now. All the best mate!
decosouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #14
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
thanks for very nice comment decosouza.

So here is last update for tonight.
Started to light the image and ad some more detales. I hope I will finish this stage tomorrow so I can continue to 2D face.
Attached Images

Last edited by mr_carl; 08-02-2009 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: forgot image
Old 11-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
ez5k

Send a message via ICQ to ez5k
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: 4th Dominance War II Champion 
Total Awards: 2
I like idea combination dragon and warrior with present day.
Neon light of town can make nice scale )
ez5k is offline   Reply With Quote