>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 17-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
DWIV - 3D - Holo - Lazaran

Hey guys, been a while since ive posted here.
Just wanted to take this oppertunity to send a shout out to all the guys i knew in here from years ago.

anywhoo,
Ive decided to join DW4, and im thinking of going with the demon prince. It sounds like a good oppertunity to create something a little more unique, plus the new rules and regs. have opened up alot more possibilities.

for the next 3-4 days i think im gonna spend my time brainstorming some cool ideas, dont be supprised if u see me post some traditional sculpture, at times when im having trouble figuring out the form im looking for, il throw a lump of clay down and actually model it in R.L. before i go into any 3d app. I find it helps quite a bit, and its a real fast way of blocking out your ideas before hand.

Ive drawn out a few quick sketches to give you guys an idea of what im going for, i want to keep him somewhat humanoid, but of course he is a demon, so i cant keep him TOO human looking. So since hes a prince and a demon, ive been thinking of Giving him a Crown of Horns.

Heres what i mean...
Attached Images

*Lightwave User*
Holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I think im leaning more towards the right image, since the other reminds me too much of the villain in blade 3, and i want this guy to look really unique.
also think im gonna chance his face up a bit, make him a little more "Royalty Like" if that makes sense, and maybee even get rid of his nose all together, give him more of an *alien* look.

*Lightwave User*
Old 17-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
both look good.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Thanks Toe, Good to see some of the older mods still here, is Monte still active btw ?

Heres a concept i just scribbled up, im really stuck on the body type, and am thinking of going for a more slender look, and since he is royalty, im starting to think i may want to add some kind of demon slaves that hang around him, maybee one on each side of him who keep his cape off the ground, i dunno.

I really wanted to give him wings, but the winged demon things been done to death, (pun intended ?) so ie decided to give him some remnants of wings that have been clipped, and now act as more of an asthetic value.
Attached Images

*Lightwave User*

Last edited by Holo; 17-03-2009 at 04:50 PM..
Old 17-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Monte pops in ever now and then.

The clipped wings got me thinking. Maybe play with the idea that his wings are his cape, so the main wing/arm area would/could wrap around the should er area, the the skin of the wings, woud flow back and down.

Demon slaves is a great idea as well. Have you thought of putting a leash on them, to really push the slave idea.

Also, if you skip the slave idea, you could go with a body gaurd. A big dude thats always around him, ready to smash on anyone/thing that may cause the prince harm.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Both head's are pretty cool. I like the silhouette you've got so far. I also think BiG ToE's suggestion about using the torn wings as his cape might be pretty cool.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Smile

Yeah, I was gonna do the draped wing thing until i remembered seeing it done somewhere else, thats the reason i was a bit put off by it, as for the slaves, im gonna have to see if my polycount will allow for it, until ive come up with a solid design that i plan to use, i wont be sure.

I sculpted something up real quick, please excuse the rushed photoshop work, i had only sculpted half the head since i didnt want to waste any time on refining it.
As it stands, im happy with how it looks, but im thinking of making the rear horns a bit taller, just to emphasize that "crown look " maybe even a tall protrusion off the forehead, hmm...that could work.
Attached Images

*Lightwave User*
Old 19-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Very nice....like both your concepts. The hips could maybe stand to be a little wider, but really is too early to tell. Solid start!

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Thanks Puck,
yeh i know what u mean in regards to that area being wider, the silhouette was a bit exhagerated, i refined it a bit more,

having trouble with the head still, but hope to get something that works soon. This is just his body FYI, ive yet to design the armor, although i think i already know what im gonna do there.

Ive decided to fill out his wings a bit, my intention is to make him a somewhat younger demon prince that has yet to fully develop his wings.

(Insert excuse to save on polys here) lmao.
Attached Images

*Lightwave User*
Old 19-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
So i think im going to leave the minions/slaves until the end, its not something im relying on to sell this character so im not too worried, also i want to give his face a younger look, but also keep the bone plating in there somehow, which is proving to be the toughest thing on this guy.

was thinking of bulking him up s bit morem but i think i like him just the way he is.

*Lightwave User*
Old 19-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Yeah, leave him as he is. I really like the long slender look you've got now. Only thought I've got, and I'm not sure how it'd play out, but maybe play with slightly longer arms to sell the elongated form even more.

Oh, and...any excuse to save polys is fine in my book.

* Lightwave * User
Old 19-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Warlock 279, I COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE ABOUT THE ARMS, AT FIRST I THOUGHT THEY LOOKED GREAT, BUT NOW THAT IVE HEARD IT FROM SOMEONE ELSE, THEY ARE A TAD TOO SHORT.

sry caps, and no, im not retyping the above in lower case. (lazy)

On another note, ive always wondered about this;

DW4 gives you 10000 tri's to work with, but is it mandatory to have tri's or are 4point polys ok as well as long as it works out to the allowed number of tri's ?

Im not sure if 4points are frowned upon in this contest since its largely based on low poly game art that tends to use trigons more than polys.

*Lightwave User*

Last edited by Holo; 19-03-2009 at 07:39 PM..
Old 20-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
didnt have too much time to myself tonight, but i did manage to get some good ideas down for the cape n' such...
Attached Images

*Lightwave User*
Old 20-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #14
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Awards Showcase
Don't worry about the caps, I'll just take them for enthusiasm.

: Doesn't matter what you model with, so long as you make sure you count your faces in tris in the end. [That'll be shift+t to a fellow LW user to convert your mesh to triangles.] You can use n-gons, hexagons, pentagrams...I mean pentagons, [tho the former might be more appropriate for a demon] or quads. I typically model for low poly in quads, and use triangles where they're needed. I personally prefer quads because they're much easier to "read" topology of a mesh than trigons are.

Little script [---> click <---] you may find useful, I don't use it personally, I just triple the mesh to check my tri count, then 'undo' that to be back to my working mesh.

EDIT - Ooooh, I like that cape, that's cool lookin'. Have a play with the colors tho, try out the 3DT colors at least, you know, rocking the red/black/gold is sorta GameArtisans thing an' all. Worse comes to worst, you fall back on the colors you've got now, which do look quite good; I see you do have the logo in there, so you're covered in any event.

* Lightwave * User

Last edited by Warlock 279; 20-03-2009 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: ...crossed up...
Old 20-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Interesting Script, havent seen that one yet.

Well, im happy to hear that about the tri's, since i almost always model in quads, as u know warlock, lightwaves smoothing algorithm in terms of Subpatching really dislikes random tri's

*Lightwave User*