>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'

Old 25-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
3d model dump

hi

this my 3d thread

feel free to C&C.

these models are from the stylised chalenges era , wch were never finished.
along wth other models.

now i want to finish them under ur guidance, so please keep on replying.
Attached Images

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
guyz common please tell me what u feel, and how to improve these?

My 3D Thread
Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre 
Total Awards: 11
Hi aby!
Great to see ya getting back to unfinished pieces.

I'm not much of an expert in organic modeling (or any other form of modeling actually), but I think that what is missing here is a general sense of direction. It seems like you started the models without having a concept on which to hang on during the modeling. Plus, it looks like you have tried to refine details before having the a solid base mesh built.

Also, I think you should try to define your personal stylistic approach.

As I said, I'm not anything near an expert, and these inputs are based in my own experience and simple notions I've been learning here in the forums. Everyone can improve, all it takes is patience and perseverance.

Hope you don't find my post harsh or anything.

All the best, and keep up the path of 3D enlightment

DD
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
aah thaks a lot dd sir.

actually i wanted to know how much more shal i add to the mes before moving on to the uv's.

and harsh ?? come on can a monkey wth cymbals ever be harsh

My 3D Thread
Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
hey there,

it would be a lot easier to comment on your work if we had some wireframes to judge.

just take a screenshot of max without any meshsmooth applied to the model. edit it, we dont need to see the max interface and post it.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Scottleroc
3d artist

Smile

aby arty. I know you contactacted me personally but I wanted to reply on the thread so if I give bad advice others can correct me.

The thing is 3D is a right pain. You need to handle the form and silhouette of an object in order for it to catch the viewers eye.

I can only recomend reading as many tutorials and books as you can find. I have a whole bookcase of books I always go back to all the time.

It's frustrating sometimes for me when i look at all the talent out there. They are amazing but they are just like you or me. They have just studied their subject really well and put in the practice.

Anyway your models.

Anatomy is the key.

Think about what is under the skin. The skeleton. Even the most stylised pieces obtain the form through sub structure. It's basic nature when creating organic objects.

I could go on for hours explaining this stuff. Needless to say don't give up and read read read. Gather pictures of your subjects and then gather even more.

Sounds dull but it works trust me.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
Aby - will i'm not a modeler, i do like to use zbrush a little. as far as design wise try to get a good understanding about what you want to portray in your character, do study, to understand how your model should be built. i can see even in your model you still like the cartoon style a little bit, just keep in mind to add little more characteristic to them, and most of all have fun.

ps- same here for me as well,i too have a whole books self full of art book and ref... they are very important... for any artist,

Last edited by M_Cederstrom; 01-06-2009 at 11:42 PM..
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
thank u all,
really appreciate the replies,

@dd sir: ok sir gotch ya , concept is there ill try and paint it thn post it.

@Tank sir: here are the wires and unsmooths for the swimming dino.

@Scottleroc: understood sir will try to focus my study in that direction .

@ MC : aaw comon ur being too modest. me love cartoon yep.
the concept is cartoon as well .

as for books u say can u specify few titles that would be easier to search arnd.

p.s. tell me what other screenz are required ill post.
Attached Images

My 3D Thread
Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre 
Total Awards: 11
Looking cool man!
Keep it up.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Tank[NL]

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
nice clean wires. you might want to take a look here: Plesiosaur

the fins on these guys are on one line, if you will. if you look at some of this ref and make adjustments acordingly, i think the overal look and feel of the character will improve greatly.

gl man
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
do u mean all fins at the botom?

i think i misread my ref pics , ill fix that.

though i wanted to ask that this is still very boxy where shud i enter more mesh so the smooth dsnt depend entirely on turbosmooth?

heres the image i refered to at the time of modelling.
Attached Images

My 3D Thread
Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
o k guys i did make changes according to what i understood of tank's suggestion.

here are new wires and mesh shots, i also modeled the mouth cavity this time around , instead of just a gaping.
Attached Images

My 3D Thread
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
more
Attached Images

My 3D Thread
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Tank[NL]

Awards Showcase
much better. you could make a cool little scene with this fella.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
keep guessing why his lips were modelled that way

My 3D Thread