>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 25-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
Talking low poly thread

Yo, this is my lo poly thread. Will be posting ALL my low poly stuff here. And updating this post with new attachments for people to see!
Attached Images

Last edited by Raul; 26-10-2010 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: just cuz..
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Raul

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
and i think i am finished. Any thoougths?

By the way, here is the ref

Old 25-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Looks like the gaps between the wooden strips is too big which could lead to leaks and the tap doesn't look like it's textured at the moment. Not bad aside from that though

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Raul

Awards Showcase
well...ive been trying to make this danm barrell 3 times now cuz is never good enough . But i will get it no doubt. Here is my new base mesh.

More updates on that comming soon..

Im also doing this character. I found this googling. I thought it looked cool and so i got stuck modeling this.

Here is some wip on my base mesh.

I modeled this using the pic....if i wish i had a little bit more time so i could draw my own image planes...this thing is too hard. I feel like everything is all over the place

Last edited by Raul; 06-11-2009 at 06:38 AM..
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 3
the barrell sculpt looks good, and the low poly turned out nice too... though the textures could be improved I think, but don't ask me how since I'm improving my texturing skills myself, haha..

and great start on the basemesh for your character.. looks pretty spot on

ps: man must be a treat to be in Bret Briley's class, I like that dood's portfolio. What class does he teach? and what does it cover? just out of curiosity..

edit: I did a paint over on the barrell i hope you don't mind.. I think adding highlights on the edge of the rims and shadows under them makes the rim pop out a little bit.. just some dodge and burn touch ups =)

before and after pics below
Attached Images

Last edited by pogimonz; 06-11-2009 at 07:22 AM..
pogimonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Raul

Awards Showcase
Well let me tell ya brett is the most hardcore teacher I've. Ever had! Period. He really knows his trade super well. And he makes sure that we undertsand wut we r doing and why.

This class is basicly the adv character class. He covers every aspect of the process.

I apppreciate the paint over. I will keep that in mind when I redo the textures this weekend
Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Raul

Awards Showcase
here is a few hours of work on the inital stages of the sculpt. i already noticed a bunch of stuff i should problably fix. Like the biceps look kinda short. And im not too sure about the pants.

I forgot to work on the beard.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Oniram

Send a message via AIM to Oniram Send a message via MSN to Oniram
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
with the barrel i would suggest running an ambient occlusion pass in max. just for the shape of the low poly model, then overlaying that on your original. the point of AO is to show shadow distance between two various objects.. there should be shadows on the top an bottom of each metal band you have there.
Oniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Raul

Awards Showcase
Hey guys, is there a way to be able to preview all uv groups at once, on all the subtools?

right now the only uv gorups that show up are the ones for the subtool selected.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 3
Is it just for rendering purposes, to show all the subtools and polygroups all at once?

The only way I know is to enter Transpose Master (downloadable plugin) it'll combine all you're subtool mesh into one subtool at their lowest subdivision level.

I don't think you can sculpt details in this mode, since you're stuck at the lowest sub level. But it's defenitely good for changing proportions and as the title says transposing the character...

I use it for changing my characters proportions quickly. And to view my all my subtools in wireframe color mode (it just looks cool! ;D).

ps: you should enter this character for the slayer comp.. he's looking good so far. =)
Attached Images

Last edited by pogimonz; 11-11-2009 at 05:39 PM..
pogimonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
Raul

Awards Showcase
dude u r a freaking genius! i totally forgot about the transpose master! ( been using 3.5 too looooong! but now im back with 3.1) I missed the subtool master way too freaking much. Thanx!!

Well, lets see the slayer comp ends nov 30, my character is due dec smething....maybe i will do that! lol..are you entering?

The only problem i see is that this is not my concept. I dont wanna get in trouble. Not like im gonna win or anything. I need to find out the dudes name that made this 1st.

Ive been getting my ass kicked by this ref image. The perpetive is so weird. Is hard to line stuff up. Next time im gonna take the time to draw my own ref images.

Well, here is what i got.

and my polygroups ( thanx pogimonz )

Last edited by Raul; 12-11-2009 at 06:55 AM..
Old 13-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
Raul

Awards Showcase
I started the scupt..again.

Im happy with the beggining stages. Tho, im not too sure about my anatomy. Pleople, please do your thing! lol.

and i also made this gas mask.

Old 13-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I think the toons anatomy is fine, nice relaxed pose.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Raul

Awards Showcase
Unfortunately i havent been able to keep up with the class work, since ive been bombarded with work left and right. But its all good. Ive been learning a lot.

Here is test of me using the marmoset engine to view wut the textures look like

I am working on a new prop. A diving helmet
i had done this one previously, but was told to do the other cooler looking one..lol

here is my low poly, sorry i didnt have any other screenshots. I am also having trouble casting the normals inside of xsi.

Last edited by Raul; 09-12-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Old 28-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #15
Raul

Awards Showcase
And so here it is,

and wires of the low poly

I must say that this was a very handy study for me. While i was at it i learned so much more about casting and texturing. I got to try max...( ugghh ) the render to texture feature is amazing, cant really say the same of the rest of the program. It holds its game, so i guess if i have to ever use it for a future job i could stand it...sighs. All my modeling was done in xsi. Textures were done in photoshop and i am using marmoset to render and preview my low poly in real time and the textures.

I am not too happy with my specular, and im still trying playing around with crazy bump and my normals. But for the most part i call this piece done. Migth tweak the texture a little bit before moving on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Raul; 28-12-2009 at 04:33 AM..