>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 09-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
Sci-fi police character

here is a character been working on for a game idea. Any comments or criticism would be great. here is the concept sketch and mesh:

Attached Images

Last edited by E4sY; 31-01-2010 at 11:51 PM..
E4sY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
hi was wondering if someone could assist here. i stitched this ear on the head using combine and merge vertices in maya. now i have this black mark showing on the mesh. so how do i clear that black mark off the mesh?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
I'd say check your normals.

I'm not sure how maya does it, but make sure your normals are all grouped together, also make sure that the object you stitched on that its normals are actually facing the right direction (i.e. that its not the backfaces showing, which in max you can mess up if you don't do backface culling.)
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Agreed with Dhin here. If it was Max I would say you had smoothing groups defined and needed to reset them to a single group across the head. You can check for duplicate edges/verts too incase the merge didn't weld everything together too though

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
exigaen

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
right... go into multi component mode and select everything around the ear (this is probably a vert issue, but selecting everything is good to make sure it goes error free), make sure your menu bar is in polygon mode, then click Normals > Set to Face, should clear it up. You can use soften edge again if you like, cuz that will make the area faceted.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Looking good. The only thing i would say is that his face is looking too sad. Make sure you model the face with a default pose of "bored". Will save you tons of trouble later if you decide to animate your guy.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #7
YEAROFTHEOX
Registered Lurker

I think the feet look a little flattened, other than that it seems pretty good.
Old 14-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
dhin, Perversonality, exigaen - thanx it was the normals. They had to be reversed.

Neto - i edited the face a bit more w/ the reference. hope it shows here.

YEAROFTHEOX - good call. the feet should look more to form now, im hoping.

Last edited by E4sY; 14-12-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Old 14-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
The face looks alot better. Still not quite right though...not sure what is wrong. Maybe the mouth is too low or the eyes are too high? Or both.

Right now the feet look too long and flat. And the hands appear maybe a tad too small.

Can we see wires?
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Buzzy - thanks for the helpful comments. i went in and worked in the edits suggested.

here is the wireframe.

Last edited by E4sY; 04-01-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
what does your reference look like? ( please dont say you are going off your drawing alone)
Old 06-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #12
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
going off what Buzzy stated, I think your face issue maybe alittle bit of everything. What I mean is, the bridge of the nose looks a bit long, which gives the whole head an elongated appearance. Also, the mouth looks to be too narrow. I think if you widen it some you will be good. Most faces, the corners of the mouth line up with the center of the eye. With the mouth the way you have it now, it gives him a baby face look, which doesn't fit the character.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
roel
newbe

Send a message via AIM to roel
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Hi e4sy, I think the face will improve a lot if you add the upper eyelid (see pic before vs after), also reducing the visible eye a bit. the eye should be 1/5 the of the face width (1 eye for the nose bridge) , yours look a bit wide. As per above, the mouths corners should come just under the center of the eyes. Your mouth is a bit small. greetZ!
Attached Images

roel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
allright, i definitely see what ur saying on the face. i'll go in and make those adjustments. glad i checked back today. thanx for the great feedback.

here is the reference im using. as u can see it's hard to see the eyelid area, but yea it definitely needs to be modeled, so im on that next.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
did some editing on the face a bit. lowered the eyes, widened the mouth, tried to bring out the eyelid some. hope this reads better.

Last edited by E4sY; 07-01-2010 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: grammar