>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Matte Painting

Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Send a message via MSN to tjerkotten
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
Tjerk Otten - The Lost Jungle -

Hi Everybody,

Its been a while since i participated in a challenge, but i liked this one so here is my progress of The Lost Jungle. I like the idea of the maya unfluence, so i quess ill work on that. Here are the reference pictures and the first progress sheet. Hope you like it so far... Updates will be up tommorow....

Last edited by tjerkotten; 19-04-2010 at 07:51 PM..
tjerkotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Good to see you back and good to see you participating in the challenge It's been too long Tjerk....it really has
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
Good to see you back and good to see you participating in the challenge It's been too long Tjerk....it really has
Hi CG, yeah its been too long indeed. I have been involved with many different projects and i relocated to a bigger studio and developed my own art line which is selling pretty well. I just wanted to come back and produce some matte painting for a cool contest Doing something different again...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
Whoa!
Great so see ya back Tjerk! Can't wait to see some serious kickass start-ups
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Here is another wip sheet. Hope you like it... There will be more tonight...

Last edited by tjerkotten; 11-04-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDoom View Post
Whoa!
Great so see ya back Tjerk! Can't wait to see some serious kickass start-ups
Hi Daddy, its been a while . Nice to see you still check out my work. I hope you like the new updates....
Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
atulkatdare

Send a message via Yahoo to atulkatdare
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
awesome!
i liked it very much. thanks a lot for posting the detailed making. good luck!!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Hi, Here is another update. More will be up soon....

Last edited by tjerkotten; 11-04-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Yay tjerk goes painting again (and showing it on the forum).

Let's see where you take this..

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Here is another update...Hope you like it..More to come tonight..

Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Another Update. I will upload the near final piece in a few hours...

Last edited by tjerkotten; 11-04-2010 at 04:07 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Here is the near final piece. Hope you like it....

Last edited by tjerkotten; 11-04-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
Awesome progress!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
adamos
I`m Just Simple man

Send a message via Yahoo to adamos
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
you must look out on bluring. Some parts are more blur than other this same with grain.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #15
Caeine
Chancellor

Wow. I love you work. And I love how you show your WIP. It's really awesome you're taking the time to make all those instructional images, and I must say I learned a lot from it. Myself, I'm not really into matte painting, but looking at your work really gives me incentive and inspiration, and also some guidance as well

And about your work - like I said, it looks really good. All the details you added fit very well inside the scene. One thing I wanted to note is that orange leaf on the right side. While giving the scene depth, it takes out the focus from the scene. I suggest you make it blend more with the rest of the wood.

Anyway, great job, Tjerk!