>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Matte Painting

Old 22-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #121
BADDOOM

hey man

i mean that the maya calender is not part of the picture. the calender dont have any visual attachments to the scene. Its in the BG between the trees...may you can add a socket or something. at the moment it looks off the scene. (maybe too dark) somethings is strange with the object.

But i like your picture...and hope i can help you a little bit. be careful with the layer blends.

greeting BADDOOM
BADDOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #122
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
nice work!
Old 22-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #123
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Send a message via MSN to tjerkotten
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDOOM View Post
hey man

i mean that the maya calender is not part of the picture. the calender dont have any visual attachments to the scene. Its in the BG between the trees...may you can add a socket or something. at the moment it looks off the scene. (maybe too dark) somethings is strange with the object.

But i like your picture...and hope i can help you a little bit. be careful with the layer blends.

greeting BADDOOM
Its not the main subject in the scene and it is in a darker part of the forest. My personal feeling is that its actually part of the scene, just as much as i intended too. When i thought about what you said, i understood what you meant, but a stone like that could stand like that for numerous reasons. If there is a big stone behind the calender it would hold it up.

I showed it like this because the calender is always shown like this. Sometimes is has some broken stuff around it, but they never show an support from underneath it. The stone itself has some serious weight, so it could use itself as support as well. It doesn't bother me, but i understand what you mean.

Here are some picture that show the calender without a real support to hold it up.

http://www.carvedbydesign.com/photo_...lender%201.JPG
http://94.100.120.145/823350001-8234...57_5_jsjd.jpeg

Last edited by tjerkotten; 22-04-2010 at 03:53 PM..
tjerkotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #124
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
dude, you are still the texture king. sweet work. cool details
Old 24-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #125
Dann-O

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Nice to see how you work on each layer and put it together very informative.
Dann-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #126
songororongo

Its really a mistycal jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjerkotten View Post
Its not the main subject in the scene and it is in a darker part of the forest. My personal feeling is that its actually part of the scene, just as much as i intended too. When i thought about what you said, i understood what you meant, but a stone like that could stand like that for numerous reasons. If there is a big stone behind the calender it would hold it up.

I showed it like this because the calender is always shown like this. Sometimes is has some broken stuff around it, but they never show an support from underneath it. The stone itself has some serious weight, so it could use itself as support as well. It doesn't bother me, but i understand what you mean.

Here are some picture that show the calender without a real support to hold it up.

http://www.carvedbydesign.com/photo_...lender%201.JPG
http://94.100.120.145/823350001-8234...57_5_jsjd.jpeg
Hey Iliked most with the pyramid at the horizont, another thing, thats not the Mayan calendar, that's the Aztec calendar, is like saying the Big Ben in in New York. Nice work I really want to see this in top 3.
songororongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #127
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by songororongo View Post
Hey Iliked most with the pyramid at the horizont, another thing, thats not the Mayan calendar, that's the Aztec calendar, is like saying the Big Ben in in New York. Nice work I really want to see this in top 3.
Hi,

Well.. i searched on the mayan calender and everywhere on the internet they say its the mayan calender. Doesn't really matter what its called because the theme is about maya/aztek culture...

Last edited by tjerkotten; 24-04-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Old 25-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #128
TheSaraf

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge. 
Total Awards: 1
Final matte is very strong. Good work. Good luck.
Old 25-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #129
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Hi Everybody,

I updated some small elements. Not really visible in the smaller version. The spiderwebs are visible. I added some spiderwebs to give it a little bit more lost in time feel. Its a small elements, but hope you like it. I also wrote a small story for the picture. Sometimes i have the need to right something with a picture, because art is a big part of emotion...

Last edited by tjerkotten; 25-04-2010 at 07:47 PM..
Old 25-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #130
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Nice story . Close ups look really cool as well.

Ps: "mysterious" is misspelled...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #131
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahuga View Post

Ps: "mysterious" is misspelled... ...
Already changed
Old 26-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #132
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Loving that final image and the little backstory, such a warm and wonderous world you've created, well done
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #133
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Real fun to go around the pic and look at all those details

Good job!!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #134
BBB
BBB

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the 3rd place in Armageddon matte-painting challenge 
tjerkotten, this is a professional work, and i think is one of the best WIP i ever saw
Old 26-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #135
Androgs
Digital Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
nice final result, warm and mysterious in the same time
Androgs is offline   Reply With Quote