>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'

Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Crispy's Sketches and stuff.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

I'll have a lot of work to show here soon with how involved I am at the moment, but to start with here is a beginning to an anatomy study:

I haven't started on the hands or the feet which also need some minor proportional fixes, but everything else needs another pass where I'll clean stuff up and double check the anatomy. Trying to hit the details a little harder than what is natural for the sake of making everything read clearly. The idea is to get the anatomy pat down now so I can use it as a starting point and/or reference for a number of sculpts I'll be doing in the future.
Attached Images

Last edited by Crispy4004; 17-03-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
spindraft

Send a message via MSN to spindraft Send a message via Yahoo to spindraft
Looking good man. Looks like you've been doing some homework.
spindraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Apart from the feet as you're aware of this is looking so so cool! Although one single crit would be that on the lower thigh area just above the knee there's some bands that look like tops of high boots or something, do you see what I mean? Other than that very impressive.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Thanks for pointing that out, looks like one of my references was wrong.

I'm guessing it's just a ligament, but I imagine a rather insignificant one with little to no impact on the surface considering most references don't include it. Think I'll remove it.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 02-06-2010 at 02:48 PM..
Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Just got my Philippe Faraut Sculpting DVDs in today! Decided to try something different and put Sculptris through the ropes today. For those of you who don't know, sculptris is a free sculpting application that works similarly to 3Dcoats voxel sculpting approach, just a little more limited, but a bit more responsive and user friendly. That means you can basicly sculpt anything from a sphere, no base mesh required.

Overall it worked fairly well. There are definitely some weakness, performance and masking tools being 2 of the big ones for me. At the same time however you get a limitless amount of freedom to manipulate the shape and no more pesky poles/spikes. After using it I'm very excited to see what comes next.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 05-06-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Wow that beautifully done!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Looks good man. Keep up the good work. Push it even further and keep going.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Here's an update:

Still have quite a few things I want to fix, and even more after seeing the render. It's going though.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Really very realistic renders you're getting there. Nice progress IMO.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
HansKa

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Nice sculpts! Sculptris looks interesting. Does it handle as much polys as Zbrush or mudbox?

Also, your renders are a bit too blurry...
Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Love that vampire dude
Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansKa View Post
Nice sculpts! Sculptris looks interesting. Does it handle as much polys as Zbrush or mudbox?

Also, your renders are a bit too blurry...
It doesn't handle nearly the same level of polygons at least currently, but it also requires a lot less for the same definition. Even so I've already hit some pretty big slowdown so stuff like surface detail would be nearly impossible. Sculpting in it however just feels fantastic, I'd even say better than mudbox and zbrush because 5-corner spikes don't exist. However due to the nature of how the app works, replicating certain things like the clay tubes brush is slow.

I don't think it would be wise to use it for anything professionally at this point, but by the next major release, who knows. Can't believe I'm saying this but I could actualy see Zbrush and Mudbox having a serious free competitor in the future, especialy if they don't adopt the advancements this app has made.

I'm definitely going to tone down the DOF for the next renders. Probably harden up the material/lighting a tad as well.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 10-06-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Old 18-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #13
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Wow what an exciting week! One of the first projects I've had a small hand in at Zoic Studios as an intern was released, the E3 Twisted Metal Reveal Trailer! Even more exciting it was the big surprise at the end of Sony's show!

Back to WIP land, here is a little something I've been working on today. I threw a little quick texture on to see if it could help me get a read of the celebrity I'm trying to sculpt. Don't think I've got the likeness quite yet but any guesses on who it is?

Last edited by Crispy4004; 18-06-2010 at 06:59 AM..
Old 18-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Hmmmmmmm a tricky one, looks a bit like Bradley Cooper who plays the face in the new A Team film.......am I way off? lol
Old 18-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Not quite. That's good though, tells me I have a ways to go, that and looking at it with some fresh eyes this mourning. I see a lot of things that need some fixing.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 18-06-2010 at 03:56 PM..