>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Animation

Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
VFX Demo Reel 2010

This is the ITMediaStudio Demo Reel 2010. I was responsible with all VFX and 3d work. Hope you enjoy it

Vimeo: (recommended for quality) http://vimeo.com/15416345
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bvWVxZSQh0

Now, I'll be getting back to my StarCraft cinematic.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Last edited by Freespace-3DT; 01-10-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
whoa. i was wondering what you were doing.

this explains it

looking really good man.

some of the compositing might have been a bit off, but damn. i am once again impressed.
nice work.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
how could you kill the guy, he had no chance

nice work all the same, very smooth and impressive
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Some very nice work! I hope it gets you some good attention!

I agree with Tank on some points.
I_AM_DAVE_COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
atneworld

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Nice! I like it!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Tank[NL]: Thank you. Please expand on what I could've improved in my compositing.

rocneasta: World ain't fair. Thanks!

I_AM_DAVE_COX: Thank you! I hope to get some attention, too. I also want to learn from my mistakes, so do share what could have been improved.

atneworld: Thank you!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
ayabaco

Smile

nice work. man~

Last edited by ayabaco; 04-10-2010 at 07:55 AM..
ayabaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
bobi
Scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
I also want to learn from my mistakes, so do share what could have been improved.
The effects were awesome.
As for the first movie, I think it needs quicker camera cuts, more explosions and everything faster, because right now it feels kinda slow. Third shot (for example) have only 3 laser blasts, and I've think that would be much better if there is 20 laser blasts, motorcycle spinning (like in the next shot), camera shakes... etc.
But that's maybe not what you were responsible in the project.

I really like the hologram play in the last movie.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
Very nice. I love the effects.

What did you do the effects in and post production?
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
ayabaco: Thank you!

bobi: Thanks, man! As I said, I was the VFX guy, however there are less lasers because they were such a huge pain in the butt to do. When we shot the scene, I was expecting the camera tracking to pickup on the road... which it did not. Only the sky got tracked. So all explosions, etc had to be animated by hand, not to mention I could give the damn ship a shadow. I was so annoyed, but had to move on.

Tarik2d: Everything was made in 3dsmax and After Effects. Textures for the ships and robot were Photoshop, and Mudbox for the subtle scratches and damage on the robot.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
Tank[NL]

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
i wish i could give you advice, freespace.

sadly, this is a case of "somethings off, but i'm not sure what."
i'll take a look at the reel tomorrow and see if i can at least pinpoint the area i felt looked off.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Tank[NL]

Awards Showcase
well, i'm awake and i just took another look at the reel.

i think (and im not sure mind you) that the color of the 3d models is off compared to the live footage. it looks too bright/white. this all in the first part, with the bike. the same happens with the dancing bots. the rest of the shots look really great.

and again, this might just be me. but you know, just trying to help
Old 04-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
So all explosions, etc had to be animated by hand, not to mention I could give the damn ship a shadow. I was so annoyed, but had to move on.
That's a real bummer, the lack of a shadow was actually something I was planning on commenting on. But in that situation, what can you do.

Anyways great work, really inspiring stuff.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Tank[NL]: Thanks for the feedback!

Crispy4004: Thank you! But there has to be a way to properly track footage like that... How do they do it in Hollywood?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
mel_danes
Occupant

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
If you want to see a tracking nightmare watch the special features on Cloverfield.
Shudder....hand track bug attack.

Great looking reel Freespace. No get the Protoss done boy! Those cinematic's don't finish themselves