>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 26-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
-R3D-
Modelling Maniac

Send a message via MSN to -R3D-
Trials Bike

Hey guys,

Well I am well and truely back into modelling after a long absence.
I've decided to model something from one of my favourite hobbies; A trials bike..

I'm not sure if there are any fellow riders here, but I'm sure some non-riders will like what I've just started.

It's basically a high spec, high strength, light weight bike that you go nuts with over obsticals, walls, fences, rail, you name it.

I'll be modelling the bike in pretty much the same order you'd build the bike up in real life. I will be adding welds to the frame and other relevant places, so it's should come out very life-like hopefully

Comments very welcome :-)

Anyway, this is a photo of what I'm modelling:

Me riding it:

And this is my progress so far:

Wires:

Regards, Rob.
Attached Images

Last edited by -R3D-; 09-01-2011 at 01:58 PM..
-R3D- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' 
Total Awards: 7
Sweet, looking very clean.

One suggesting - try to actually connect all the parts, donĘt just let them intersect. It looks bad and drags your model down. Especially at the front part

Edit: Now read the description and saw you are going to do that. That's for posting before reading

Looking forward for updates!
Old 26-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Great start there, are you using booleans? Could run into some problems later on, but so far so good, looking nicely detailed and clean

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Kind Regards,
CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Very good start, looking forward to more from you.

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
-R3D-
Modelling Maniac

Zlatovous: Thankyou. I was reading your post and thought to myself "I swear I mentioned the welds" haha

ClassicGamer-3DT: I'm using booleans for the CNC machined parts, but cleaning them as I go, so shouldn't have any trouble with a bit of luck.

I will be using hyper nurbs on the parts that warrant it etc..

I've used loft nurbs for the lower thick tube as it shape changing throughout it's length, and sweep nurbs for the other 5 tubes as their profile remains the same throughout their length.

McFly: Cheers, should get some more done today.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Bob Marley
Need to work more...

Send a message via MSN to Bob Marley
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Nice so far!!! Did you model this peices with the exact same dimensions as the real one?? So you wont have any bad surprises later on : ) Good Luck
Bob Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
-R3D-
Modelling Maniac

Bob Marley: Thanks.. Yes mate, I have the bike right next to me so I can measure thing easily

I have actually modelled more of the frame which I'll update in a bit. But for now I just wanted to show you a weld test render.

Used a custom Hi-res displacement map as shown below to get these results..

Regards, Rob.
Attached Images

Old 27-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Nice effect but that isn't how you would weld those seams.
I_AM_DAVE_COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
^^true that

I think the middle of the blobs wants raising up or something - the weld pattern is a bit too sharp
also, I've seen the welds on a zoo frame and they're nowhere near that regular

incidentally, have we met? i used to frequent TF til my knees said no (well, I say frequent - more hang around and make jokes about underage girls)

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
StefanC
the human centipede

Send a message via MSN to StefanC
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Hey,

the bike looks good but I do want to point some things out about the welds, I followed a Metalworker study and got a diploma for it so I worked at companys that work with metal etc... anyway what I am trying to say is is that I know how weld seams look like since I have done it before and yours don't look right :P when welding u add metal to the existing contraption so instead of weld seams looking like it goes inwards is actually supposed to go outwards like a bump, the finger nail shape u did is correct though since thats the effect when molded metal stacks up + the movement u make with the welding torch. also the way u made it the pipes welded is wrong, here is a picture of how it should be and a weld model I did, its not perfect but it should be a bit bumpy and uneven like u see in the pic :

Old 27-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
-R3D-
Modelling Maniac

Hey all,

Yea I realise the way I "welded" them together isn't correct and it should be the u shape like StefanC FS said. It was only to see the weld "pattern" itself not the weld method.

Now, I've taken a closer look at the frame weldings and am currently in the proccess of creating another displacement map to try out.

poopipe: We may have met, not really sure. Erm, only significant thing you'd know me from was when I went to a big meet in 2007 in Southend. Ended up taking a dive off a rail mid move lol. But made it when I went back 3 months later. I was a stock rider back then.

Some photos of the welding on this frame:
(frame is alluminium by the way. I don't know if that makes a difference in the characteristics of the weld)

Will post back soon on the new displacement map.

Regards, Rob.
Old 27-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Are you using nurbs?
Old 27-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
-R3D-
Modelling Maniac

Yes and no.. Im doing all this in Cinema 4D

Im using sweep and loft nurbs to do the frame tubes. I will be using sweep to make the base mesh for the welds.

I'm using poly modelling & booleans to make the CNC'd parts as C4Ds boolean modifyer is quite clean if used correctly.

I will be using hyper nurbs to model parts that will require it, like the handle bars stem, pedals and tyres etc.

EDIT: New weld. It looks better to me, but then I have been staring at it for ages so I don't know. Turning off AO also helped make the weld seem part of the metal and not just stuck on (See attatchments)

Regards, Rob.
Attached Images

Last edited by -R3D-; 27-11-2010 at 10:13 PM..
Old 28-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
-R3D-
Modelling Maniac

Update:

Back to the modelling:

Bash guard mounting points with threads, and the bit the rubber sits in.

Rear bash guard mounting points.

Added a thread hole to the rear dropout.

Added Gussets that strengthen the front end.

Bottom

Added the 3 brake line fixing points (Used HyperNURBS for this part)

Full View. With sticker

Hope you like it so far

Forks will be next to model.

Regards, Rob.
Old 28-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher

Awards Showcase
Nice man!

I have to say that you are modelling in an unconventional way but whatever, it works.