>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 19-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
Dominance War V - 3D - Orthidia Goddess of Nature- Darchand

Greetings lady and gentlemen. Tonight I have come back to you to join a war. I will fill in details as we go so stay tuned and have fun and be sure to leave feedback.

Concept 1
Attached Images

Old 19-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I think this is a good start, but definitely needs more exploration.

The wings are cool, and since she's a goddess of nature, her wings could be made of tree limbs or something, with leaves for feathers. Also, I would stay away from the split-hoof feet, while this works in concept because they are faun-like, it's just been done to death lol. Try to incorporate as many aspects of nature as you can, like vines and moss and mushrooms, maybe even stone too.

Looking forward to seeing more. Nice start

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappedStrings View Post
I think this is a good start, but definitely needs more exploration.

The wings are cool, and since she's a goddess of nature, her wings could be made of tree limbs or something, with leaves for feathers. Also, I would stay away from the split-hoof feet, while this works in concept because they are faun-like, it's just been done to death lol. Try to incorporate as many aspects of nature as you can, like vines and moss and mushrooms, maybe even stone too.

Looking forward to seeing more. Nice start
I actually plan on making the wings out of vines which I thinking should have a cool look when complete. I really have a rough idea of drafting ideas in 2d. What you have me stumped on is the split hoof feet. What would you recommend instead?
Old 19-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #4
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Hmmm.. that does seem to be the million dollar question, doesn't it?

A couple of ideas that came to mind:

1. Feet like tree stumps. Really push the idea that she IS nature.

2.Animal feet. If you google "Animal feet", there are a lot of cool looking animal feet in the world. While duck-feet might not have been what you initially had in mind, it might lead you to something similar and talon-clawed. Maybe make her harpy-like.

3. Just normal human feet. This could work as well. While on the mundane side, feet are rarely the focal point of a character, and could just serve as something for her to stand on.

I think the most important point, is not to lock yourself in too soon. Don't do a concept and be like "Well, that's what I'm going with". The more exploration you could do the better. Your final concept might be a bird-beaked elephant with mushroom legs.

Hope these comments have helped you get a few ideas brainstorming. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Portfolio
GreatSnappedStrings! Thank you:
Darchand (20-03-2011)
Old 19-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Well I agree it is far too early to lock myself into something however for now I am running with it. I will continue to concept her out and evolve her. There isn't much to see yet but I thought I would do some feet concepts and see if I could get some opinions. No not too many to choose from but it is a start.
Attached Images

Old 19-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Nice, liking #2 the best so far, a good compromise

Portfolio
Old 19-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up 
Total Awards: 8
I like the idea of 3 best my self you can really play with the trunk/roots shape. But 2 works the best with the reverse knee and hoof like shape. maybe incorporate the wood in to her skin or face.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/galle.../1024/jabe.jpg

If you have netflix I think she is in season 1 episode 2 of Dr. Who.
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Thanks you guys. I agree the stones might be better for the feet and there will be clothing as well so twigs and such might be difficult to work with. Odds are I will make a base mesh and play with both looks and decide from there.

I am attaching my story tonight which is a bit long and probably boring to some standards but hey it also has a summary at the bottom . So check it out and enjoy.

Nature Goddess Orthidia

The fires in the distance grow closer as the earth herself withers crying for help. Life is all but extinct now and men still call upon and pray to their dark lords and unjust gods. I beg them to come to reason to help me summon the goddess of nature who's beauty out shown the most beautiful gods of love. They cast me out though saying that I was speaking folly. Then I came across her. A hag of unknown age who remembers the green goddess and tears swell in her eyes of the memories. She gives me two seeds and says I have to make a choice. One seed can bring death and destruction to man kind but would ultimately save the planet. The other would grow a tree that would bring peace and feed man kind but she does not say how long the peace will last.

I begin my journey to the ancient garden that is now no more than another graveyard. Along the way I encounter two men beating another man. Not thinking I pick up a rock and throw it and hit one of the men in the head. To my surprise blood gushes from the wound as the man crashes to the ground. The man they were beating draws a dagger from the mans belt who is still standing and stabs him repeatedly. He looks at me and I turn and run but he is faster. He grabs my arms and kisses my lips with his bl**dy sloppy beard. Then he takes the dagger and raises it to my face. Slowly he cuts downward across my cheek and laughs "Something to remember me by".

I wake up now with the stars shining above me in a charred forest my body feels violated my cheek throbs of pain and my cloths ripped in all of the wrong places. I cry for what feels like hours my tears creating a muddy pool on the ground. Then I look down at my hand. I am holding the seeds one a glowing green the other a neutral blue. I dig out the soil and place the green seed in the dirt and cover it as the blue seed dissolves into ash. From the ground rises a plant above my head and creates a pod that looks down upon me. I stare in wonder as it opens. There are no words for the beauty that lies inside. Then the glow of the inside flows out onto my face as I inhale I taste my own blood and the pollen. I begin to choke and cry out in agony. Then blackness.

From a far a hunter hears the screams of a woman and runs to find a goddess standing in a beautiful green clearing. His heart beats wildly and he can't help his desire to go forth to the goddess and bow. He kneels to the ground before her and she nods to him and smiles a peaceful smile. Then from the ground a vine lashes up and through his chest. The last thing he sees is a plant blossoming from his chest with flowers of gold that shine through the night. As he breaths his last breath he sees the goddess and thinks "so beautiful" then dies.

Summary:

Man going through countless wars and endless deaths have now fallen back on the gods who fight for the favor of mans sacrifices. A woman remembers what it was when there was green and beauty and asks for favor from a hag. A decision is placed on her and she feeling a bitter cold against mankind unwittingly sacrifices herself in turn as a reward becoming the vessel for the goddess Orthidia.
Old 20-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
gestis

As for female, I would go with 3rd or 4th. But also you should keep in mind the the faces limit, since curved shapes are most demanding.

Last edited by gestis; 20-03-2011 at 09:42 AM..
gestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
hey! good luck with the comp!

I would defo go with number 4, different kind of flowers, and all that can really work well with female body. Tree is rigid, and bumpy. Girls are flexible, and "smooth"
Old 20-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
mix_mash

Just a little idea here but maybe you shouldn't make her feet too big. You would want the attention to be mainly about the head and torso area because that is the visual centre of what most people see in a character on first impressions. The arms and legs are secondary so it is best to bring focus to the head and torso. I'm not saying to ignore the arms and legs, just put more visual focus on the head and torso first.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gestis View Post
As for female, I would go with 3rd or 4th. But also you should keep in mind the the faces limit, since curved shapes are most demanding.
Yes with things like vines creating the wings and other details that I haven't even begun on I am sure I will need as many faces as I can get. I do plan on going over everything in topogun and squeezing out as much as I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordero View Post
hey! good luck with the comp!

I would defo go with number 4, different kind of flowers, and all that can really work well with female body. Tree is rigid, and bumpy. Girls are flexible, and "smooth"
I like number 3 because of what it does with the branches but I did one with vines to test and see how she would look that way. I will actually probably test out a few things when I get sculpting. I agree she should be smooth and when you see her you should want to touch her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix_mash View Post
Just a little idea here but maybe you shouldn't make her feet too big. You would want the attention to be mainly about the head and torso area because that is the visual centre of what most people see in a character on first impressions. The arms and legs are secondary so it is best to bring focus to the head and torso. I'm not saying to ignore the arms and legs, just put more visual focus on the head and torso first.
(mix_mash)
The main attraction of this piece will be the upper torso and everything designed below that will be made to draw the eye upward. My 2d skills really aren't great but I hope I can pull it off in 3d.

Oh there will be clothing on this character but only very little. Her breasts will remain bare.

And now to stop pu$$y footing around I went ahead and created a model to sculpt on. Keep in mind this isn't the mesh I will be using for the final product but it isn't a bad start
Attached Images

Old 20-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
solid start to the 3d be great to see what you plan for the upper body and head areas as currently a lot of the focus and interesting design elements are on the legs

keep it up!
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
very nice start you have a solid idea off where u want this to go

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I really have no updates for today and can't even say I will later. I am leaving today to go out of town to do a marathon (at white sands missile range in NM) then I am heading to live in San Fransisco for a couple of months and look for work which I desperately need.

Thanks again and good luck. With any luck I will be able to finish .