>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 28-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
URs3D.net
CGI Freelancer

Send a message via MSN to URs3D.net
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won the Speed Modelling Challenge 140 & 141 - Napkin Holder/Dispenser Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Post Bachelor studies project - Photo-realistic simulation of an interior space

Quote:
Topic: Photo-realistic simulation of an existing space.

Thesis: With the help of modern 3D applications, it is possible to generate a photo-realistic simulation of a real existing space within a week of work.

Objective: The experiment will examine whether it is possible to make a realistic simulation of an existing space with the help of 3D applications within seven days. The report documents the development, the progress, results and final evaluation of the experiment. The completion of the simulation, with the help of several 3D artists with an experience between three and four years with the 3D application - Autodesk Maya, will be carried out in order to achieve a more professional result. The realistic simulation will be demonstrated several interior designers, 3D artists and architects to carry out the comparison with a real and a virtual space so as to ensure whether the experiment has succeeded or failed. The goal is for users who work with 3D applications to show that it is possible for 3D artists in the central area of ​​experience to create an accurate simulation. Another goal is to prove that it is possible to replace the photo-camera with simulations to achieve an identical result. With a simulation it is easier, faster and cheaper for desired changes, rather than to take pictures of a living room again. The experiment is performed with the 3D application Maya 2011 Autodesk, Vray (as rendering engine) and Adobe Photoshop CS5.

Now I will ask you to help me with my project.

I need some volunteers to help me create a photo real simulation of the kitchen scene I have provided. As you have read the Objective, it would be great if you could write a logbook (images and little text explaining what you are doing, with time stamps) of your process. The 7 days time frame needs to be kept to get an accurate result. If you are willing to help it would really mean a lot to me, because it helps getting the best results for my project.
You will be mentioned in my BA Studies and I will create a Making Of of the whole scene with the help of your logbooks.
When I have the best entries, I will create a Poll which shows the best entries.

I will post my WIP entries in this thread. If you like the challenge please join in. In the end we should have some nice entries.
Then when I have the entries I will set up a poll where all entries will be shown. and the best one wins

The more users are willing to help, the better. Please support me

Please let me know if you are volunteering. You can post your WIPs in this thread, or create your own thread, with the topic "BA project URs - "Your Name" ", or send me a WIP via email.

This is more or less like the SPEED MODELING CHALLENGES with a 7 Day modeling, shading and rendering time.

If you have any question regarding my thesis or any other questions, feel free to post them in the forum or via email: ursproductions@googlemail.com
Attached Images

follow me on twitter

Last edited by URs3D.net; 01-04-2011 at 03:12 PM..
URs3D.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
URs3D.net
CGI Freelancer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won the Speed Modelling Challenge 140 & 141 - Napkin Holder/Dispenser Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Here is the interior scene which should be replicated in a 3D software.

the measurements

follow me on twitter
Old 28-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
everything looks pretty clear cut, easy and doable

first thing - to make a realistic simulation the pictures shown aren't suitable since you should provide a more detailed and 50mm lens view - so anyone helping you can make the textures fonts, text picture in the kitchen etc and of all the little details that make the scene

secondly - maya is the software that's needed for this - that's stated twice - so you're looking for a Maya user?

thirdly - if someone does it in 1 day, how will that count in your thesis? what's the hour limit per day, cause 7 days x 24 hours seems a lot for this simple scene. Is the time to find reference textures like ceramic tiles etc
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
URs3D.net
CGI Freelancer

Awards Showcase
Here is a WinRAR folder which includes all the HIGH-RES images, including textures, HDR (for lighting and reflection), and panorama images for better results, and for your understanding.

www.urs-productions.com/BAstudiesfiles.rar

follow me on twitter
Old 28-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
URs3D.net
CGI Freelancer

Awards Showcase
rocneasta:

1. I hope the images I have provided will do, because I cant re-photograph the scene. I have still all the RAW images I took, so if more are needed, I will surely provide them.

2. Officially only Maya users, but everyone is welcome, but please state what you are using.

3. Of course when you can do it in one day, it will be rated much higher in the thesis, and will prove it true. You can work as long as you want per day, but it shouldn't exceed the 7 Days. I know its hard to put a true time frame on it. But that is what is asked from my supervisor.

follow me on twitter
Old 28-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
things missing in the reference photos:

hello kitty metal box, view of the stuff behind the trash (if they are to be included in the kitchen), denk mit agent for washing dishes, stove, fridge and the thing above the stove (forgot what's it called), the rest of the green metal box

the rest is looking god, especially the ceramic and wood tiles
Old 28-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
URs3D.net
CGI Freelancer

Awards Showcase
rocneasta Thank you for your input. I will make these reference photos and hand them in. But I think it should be possible to start without them. Everything else is present.
The stuff behind the trash can be ignored. Its not a must to model and render all elements in the image. But all essential parts should be modeled. Will you give it a try?

follow me on twitter
Old 28-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
rocneasta-3DT

Awards Showcase
final question - what's the time frame, July 2032 or something closer
Old 28-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
URs3D.net
CGI Freelancer

Awards Showcase

follow me on twitter
Old 28-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
rocneasta-3DT

Awards Showcase
sounds like a reasonable date - will see how i progress with DW V and could make it. It's not a complex work, just that i have to fight with hectic RL obligations. Could even pull it off on my business trip when i'm working for 2 days away from home.
Old 28-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Moved to the appropriate section, and perhaps more support will come with this on the forum newsbar.

Good luck!

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
i think you need to look at your camera perspectives... as they seem a little warped.. or something..
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
rocneasta-3DT

Awards Showcase
i failed to ask, are we supposed to recreate the same angle and lens mm as the original first photo? and if yes what is the lens 14mm? 10mm?

edit: did you update the file with photos i said were missing at the later post

Last edited by rocneasta-3DT; 28-03-2011 at 10:58 PM..
Old 28-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
you've picked a bad time to try and run this... a lot of people will be dedicating time to the Dom of war contest...

why only seven days... i mean yeah its plausable that i can do it in seven days.. but 10 would have been nicer...
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
rocneasta-3DT

Awards Showcase
Bah most of this geometry is one day's work, and i'm not thinking 24 hours, details would be another day, perhaps few specific models and shape another = 3 in total without stress

textures are hardly applicable here so UVW won't take much of your time, basically the plant is nothing but copied planes etc. This isn't something to break sweat - only thing that's is going to be an issue, is the lighting and achieving the effect that the render is the same as the picture shown. But it's all easily doable, even to a rocky like me

Tags
bachelor thesis, interior visualization, photo realistic